Hello there,

I saw there are many other threads about wifi problem, but none of them could help me.So I decided to register and open this new thread.

I just bought a new BlackBerry 9700, but its was unlocked (I know this because its has "Orange" written on it, and i use it with an other operator), but Im having a wifi problem:

When I setup my Wifi connection and then I open the browser I get "This in a Wi-Fi service.Please ensure...", I dont have any data plan or something like that, and I tried to register but BlackBerry doesnt support my country (Kosovo) even any operator doesnt support it.Ive tried in many ways but it didnt work.

I want to know if there is any way to get to internet via Wifi on my BB9700.
    Last edited by argeend; 12-06-10 at 02:46 PM.
    12-06-10 04:31 AM
    Your device won't register until you have a data plan added on. As for the WiFI, that requires a service book, which requires a data plan.
    12-06-10 05:17 AM
    Let's see if i can help, and let's do it 1 step at the time. let's test to see if wifi is working without being connected to your carrier.
    >go to Manage my connections>click on WI-FI to turn it on
    >click on Mobile Network to turn it off (uncheck it)
    >Now go to Options>Advanced options>Browser>and select Internet browser for all of them.
    > Go back to Manage my connections>Set up Wi-FI Connections.
    Follow it step by step to get a wi-fi connection and you should be able to connect on wi-fi. Let me know what happens here and we can continue (unless i missed something) and others might be able to help too.
    12-06-10 05:22 AM
    You need to tack on a data plan. Or just remove the SIM, boot the blackberry up, go to Options > Browser. Change it to HotSpot browser, back out, save.

See if you can browse on it. I took the sim out of mine to test, it worked fine. Not sure if it'll work the same way with the sim put back in. Give it a shot, you've got nothing to lose. Most major apps won't work without a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-10 01:20 PM
    Let's see if i can help, and let's do it 1 step at the time. let's test to see if wifi is working without being connected to your carrier.
    >go to Manage my connections>click on WI-FI to turn it on
    >click on Mobile Network to turn it off (uncheck it)
    >Now go to Options>Advanced options>Browser>and select Internet browser for all of them.
    > Go back to Manage my connections>Set up Wi-FI Connections.
    Follow it step by step to get a wi-fi connection and you should be able to connect on wi-fi. Let me know what happens here and we can continue (unless i missed something) and others might be able to help too.
    First Thanks for your answer, i tried it but when I go to Options>Advanced options>Browser , I have just one onption, I just have Hotspot Browser, and theres no other option... ?

Here is a screenshot.

And about dataplans and service books, here in Kosovo, there isnt a operator that supports Blackberry devices, and there isnt any dataplan or service book for them...but why do I need a data plan to use my own home wireless ?

I even tried without a sim card but with no success, it wont connect ???

I want to know if there is any hack or somethink like this to help me ?
    Last edited by argeend; 12-06-10 at 02:12 PM.
    12-06-10 02:06 PM
    Hi mate - when you go to Options>Advanced options>Browser you will only have one option - hotspot browser -as you havent got any service books as no data plan - if you had a data plan then you would have two other options - one of them being the operators WAP service and the internet browser as mentioned before.

With hotspot browser selected ie Options>Advanced options>Browser - What happens when you then try to setup with the wi-fi (manage connections>setup wifi network? Do you find your wifi network? entered the security key for your wifi and saved the settings?
    12-06-10 02:34 PM
    Hi mate - when you go to Options>Advanced options>Browser you will only have one option - hotspot browser -as you havent got any service books as no data plan - if you had a data plan then you would have two other options - one of them being the operators WAP service and the internet browser as mentioned before.

With hotspot browser selected ie Options>Advanced options>Browser - What happens when you then try to setup with the wi-fi (manage connections>setup wifi network? Do you find your wifi network? entered the security key for your wifi and saved the settings?
    Thanks for responding.

When I go to connections>setup wifi network I find my home wifi , but when I go to browser it doesnt work!!!
    12-06-10 02:42 PM
    Have just done a test - deleted my service books (except my email ones as didn't want to lose the emails on my berry), deleted my saved wifi profile, I have both mobile network and wifi on (in manage connections), setup my wifi profile again - I now only have the hotspot browser in the browser config options - and able to browse the internet! Have also tested that when wifi is switched off I get the same as error you- hence was connecting to the interent via the wifi not the mobile service provider. So it should connect to the wifi for internet browsing without a data plan.

Things to check - Mobile network and wifi are both ticked in Manage connections,
    Go to Options> Advanced options> browser >hotspot browser is selected
    Go to options>security options>firewall disabled
    Go to Manage connections> Wifi options - do you see your wifi network under saved profiles - should show the network name with a green tick beside it

- if you don't then you need to set up the wifi profile - Go to manage connections >setup wifi network, press next, and scan for networks - once you pick your wifi following the on screen instructions- and save the profile - then go back and check in wifi options to see if there is a green tick beside the profile you just created.

- if it is still not working, check the homepage setting - when you go to the browser press the menu key (blackberry/spotty button on the key pad) go to options > Browser config > change the home page address ie to google or something and then try to connect again
    12-06-10 03:07 PM
    Looking at your last screen shot - it shows your saved profile, with "Saved" underneath - interesting as mine shows "connected"

Ok, when you go to the main screen on the phone - the wifi symbol, does it show as greyed? mine shows as quite bright white, if greyed then its not connecting through your wifi settings.

If it is greyed out - Check in manage connections > wifi options that under "saved profile" your wifi network is there and has a green tick beside it.

If it doesn't- highlight your wifi network under "saved profile" and select it> select edit > check that connection mode is set to automatic - save
    With the wifi network still highlighted press the menu key check the list - if there is "enable" listed select it.

Then go to manage connections - turn off wifi give it a few secs and turn it back on - try the browser again - if that doesn't work - may need to delete the wifi profile and start again
    12-06-10 03:31 PM
    Looking at his last screen shot, clearly his Wi-Fi is not connected. Click on your connection to connect to it.

And like mentioned above, the Wi-Fi logo needs to be bright white.

Then it will work. You do NOT Need a data plan to use Wi-Fi. That has to be the most nonsense I've read for the day.
    12-06-10 03:38 PM
    Then it will work. You do NOT Need a data plan to use Wi-Fi. That has to be the most nonsense I've read for the day.
    That was what I was thinking!! - hence did the test to prove it
    12-06-10 04:01 PM
    That was what I was thinking!! - hence did the test to prove it
    same here, i connected to wifi without the data plan or a sim card and had no issues
    12-07-10 09:57 AM
    The OP's wifi symbol will never be white, which means connected to RIM's servers. The OP needs a BlackBerry Data Plan for it to be white...

The wifi will work just fine when grayed out though. Just make sure the browser is set to "Hotpsot" and the wifi network is shown in Manage Connection. It will never have a green check mark next to it (must have white symbol, connected to RIM) but a white line through it will suffice.
    12-07-10 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD