I have a friends 9700 that wont give me any signs of life other than the red light turning on and off every 10-15 seconds. I tried the guide of using the apploader and once it detects the usb connection to hit next. But its a no go, itll say connecting to ARM and it will get to the screen where it says loading JVM software, but on device initialization it�ll pop up an error after a few reboots stating that its not able to load/initialize.

I think he completely wiped the rom or something.

Any ideas or suggestions ? (no warranty on phone)
    12-03-10 04:27 PM
    try this command

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe /nojvm

it will delete everything
    but the device will work again
    12-03-10 04:42 PM
    Tried it, still nothing. As soon as it switches to device initialization, it'll start the reboot cycle again.

By the way, there is no white screen, no loading bar, nor clock showing. it just reboots, shows red light stays on for a bit, then turns off and again it goes.
    12-03-10 04:51 PM
    try wiping it using BBSAK

if it did not work with you
    u need an expert opinion :/
    friky19 likes this.
    12-03-10 04:55 PM
    tried bbsak, still no go, it wont detect it so it cant wipe it.

thanks for trying though. Any suggestions on whos an expert in the matter that can help me out here ?
    12-03-10 05:15 PM
    Try connecting via usb WITHOUT the battery in. Install OS via AppLoader (C:, Program files...etc.) See if it detects the berry that way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    friky19 likes this.
    12-03-10 06:19 PM
    Ty getting it replaced under warranty.

12-03-10 07:12 PM
    Try connecting via usb WITHOUT the battery in. Install OS via AppLoader (C:, Program files...etc.) See if it detects the berry that way.

Well, this did something. I connected it WITHOUT the battery and it now detects the PIN through the loader instead of usb-pin:unknown, also it got one step further through the process, it now gets stuck on it saying "Reconnecting to JVM" even with the /nojvm switch enabled.

An error pops up stating: "Application loader was unable to connect with your device. Please reconnect your device, enter password, if required and click retry."

I do that, same error pops up over and over.

If I do leave it with the battery on, itll also restart the rebooting cycle when it hits the "Reconnecting to JVM".

Any more hints ? Seems like we can make add a thing or two to that guide on nuked phones.
    12-03-10 07:38 PM
    ctrad45 is taking you down a good path. Start loader, take out your battery, hook up to USB and as soon as loader recognizes your friend's bb hit 'Next'. You may have to play around with the timing some but this is how to break free of the loop. Now, when loader starts doing its thing you can gently slip in the battery. Just make sure not to disturb your USB connection.

I hope you can get this going. FWIW, I always have, no matter how bleak and frustrating in the interim.
    12-03-10 07:39 PM
    he he, we type at the same time. . .

I've had it hang up there, too. Keep at it. I smell success.
    12-03-10 07:43 PM
    I smell success.

Sorry, that's just me. I haven't showered yet today.
    12-03-10 07:56 PM
    Hard work. Success. Is there really any difference?

12-03-10 08:12 PM
    I think Cess is a very VERY lucky person.

12-03-10 08:34 PM
    This is still a no go Ive tried like 50 times or more. Can someone post the steps or something ? Also at what point should I insert the battery on the phone ? Last question, is there a way to "wipe" the phone in this state ?

Ive seen several old posts of people using an MFI (or was it MML?) to wipe the phone in case there was a password on it before trying to use the loader.

BBSAK still doesnt detect the phone, so I cant use its wipe feature.
    12-03-10 10:22 PM
    This is still a no go Ive tried like 50 times or more. Can someone post the steps or something ? Also at what point should I insert the battery on the phone ? Last question, is there a way to "wipe" the phone in this state ?

Ive seen several old posts of people using an MFI (or was it MML?) to wipe the phone in case there was a password on it before trying to use the loader.

BBSAK still doesnt detect the phone, so I cant use its wipe feature.
    just replace your battery and it'll work. i can almost promise you this. phone wont boot without a battery in it, and if battery is toast you wont be able to do much anyways. try a friends battery if you wanna test this out, but replacing the battery will probably solve your problem
    12-04-10 01:52 AM
    just replace your battery and it'll work. i can almost promise you this. phone wont boot without a battery in it, and if battery is toast you wont be able to do much anyways. try a friends battery if you wanna test this out, but replacing the battery will probably solve your problem
    Ok, will give this a shot tomorrow, Im calling it a day now, been at this for 12 straight hours. I'll post tomorrow if it works or not, and thanks to all who have helped in the meantime.
    12-04-10 02:15 AM
    Putt the battery back in IMMEDIATELY after clicking "Next" to begin the AppLoader. It won't load and boot the OS without the battery but it WILL recognize the PIN without it. Keep us updated.

12-04-10 02:24 AM
    Well, I tried with a different battery.. still no go same thing happens
    12-05-10 08:50 PM
    Putt the battery back in IMMEDIATELY after clicking "Next" to begin the AppLoader. It won't load and boot the OS without the battery but it WILL recognize the PIN without it. Keep us updated.

I guess the OP didn't try it without the battery connected.

12-06-10 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD