Hi, I was wondering...I have tethering currently and unlimited web and email package obviously, and is the 5GB limit for both my phone and tethering? Or is it still unlimited through my phone, and a separate 5GB limit for when I tether?

Thanks,
    Caleb
    07-28-08 12:50 AM
    From the way I understand it

5GB limit for tethering
    Unlimited data while on your BB

How they can tell, I have no clue

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 02:11 AM
    It's VZMagic 1.0

07-28-08 09:14 AM
    It's VZMagic 1.0

No it's not, it's called NAI login info.
    07-28-08 10:18 AM
    Hi, I was wondering...I have tethering currently and unlimited web and email package obviously, and is the 5GB limit for both my phone and tethering? Or is it still unlimited through my phone, and a separate 5GB limit for when I tether?

Thanks,
    Caleb
    They can tell because when you "tether" you use their program to sign on the the internet and it has a log which keeps track of your streaming and data usage. A rep explained to me that any more use in a month is usually because someone is downloading music or movies illegally. A bunch of bunk of you ask me. I have been using it and the only trouble I have had is when my son gets on and watches youtube or downloads music.
    07-28-08 10:18 AM
    So you're saying as long as I tether through bluetooth on my mac (does not use vzaccess manager) then it won't use my tethered data allowance?
    07-28-08 11:03 AM
    So you're saying as long as I tether through bluetooth on my mac (does not use vzaccess manager) then it won't use my tethered data allowance?
    I've actually heard that they have no way of knowing how much data you use with PAM (phone as modem). I've also heard that they know every single byte downloaded, and that your charged for it.

Anybody heard anything like this?

Paul
    07-28-08 06:37 PM
    VZW can tell by the way phone dials into the network. does it one way for the internal browser and another for tethering. VZAM has nothing to with momitoring as stated in an above post. As through windows you can set up Manual DUN which by-passes the software. Keep in mind this method is not supported by VZW and is used for testing only. YES a manual dun will be charged against the 5GB limit.
    07-28-08 06:53 PM

Thanks,
    Caleb
    I always laugh when I hear about this. But, yes, there is a "5gb" invisible line for transfers, which includes your smartphone and tethering (they add it up). However, it does not necessarly mean that you will be automatically disconnected if you surpass that.

Bottom line: they don't want you to use your mobile broadband as your primary internet connection. That would also imply you would be using the service to say stream videos, radio, download mp3s, etc. They want to avoid that.
    07-29-08 09:16 AM
    From Verizon's contract:

//

DATA PLANS AND FEATURES

Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

//
    07-29-08 09:57 AM
    So youtube is against ToS? As is streaming radio?

07-29-08 10:01 AM
    I have BB Access USB modem with VZW on a Mac, and they definitely can keep track of your data use no matter how you connect.

Fortunately for me, i signed up for the service before they went to the 5GB hard cap (where they charge you), and I'm on the "we'll scale it back if you abuse it" plan, where 5GB is the suggested cap, and repeated overage can lead to throttled service or eventually cancellation.

I called up the local store/rep the first month i was going to go over - to make sure i wasn't going to get hosed, and he said that the real problem are people who have used the service for less than up-and-up purposes. I.e. P2P sharing (which taxes the network like crazy), and in the case of one particular customer who was flipping out about a $10,000 bill, streaming live video of, shall we say, less than wholesome scenes. seems he was using his works bb-card to run a side business. oops!

I will say this though, that I think they're estimation of browser usage is low, simply b/c so many sites embed multimedia, video, audio, flash animations, etc in their websites (espn is a good example).

If you're just checking your email and visiting 'basic' sites, i dont know how you'd hit 5GB in a month, but if you hit multimedia sites, esp. those with dynamic content - it runs through bandwidth, especially if you surf a lot, and with multiple tabs...I have a little program that runs in my menu bar that shows upload and download rates at all times, and I'm always surprised at how content rich some of the websites are...the HTML/XML alone is usually pretty sparse, but once multimedia and images get going, it can get heavy, quick.
    Last edited by thesuzukimethod; 07-29-08 at 12:39 PM.
    07-29-08 12:37 PM
    What's the name of that program? It sounds nifty

07-30-08 05:42 AM
    They only out the limit on it because some people were using it to steal TV through their broadband cards. Five gig is a tough amount to reach in a month.

07-30-08 07:51 AM
    What's the name of that program? It sounds nifty

I believe he's reffering to MiniMoni:

MiniMoni - Traffic monitor for BlackBerry

07-30-08 09:04 AM
    Thank you!

07-30-08 01:53 PM
    Just In case anyone was still interested I found this article from Berryreview

It just let you guys know that AT&T AND Verizon do infact have caps on there "UNLIMITED Data" plans for BB's

Sprint 5Gb Data Cap Will Not Effect BlackBerrys | BerryReview.com �

and Here

Sprint addresses data usage limit | Crave, the gadget blog - CNET
    07-31-08 02:06 AM
    Just In case anyone was still interested I found this article from Berryreview

It just let you guys know that AT&T AND Verizon do infact have caps on there "UNLIMITED Data" plans for BB's
    Shouldn't have really been a discovery to any Verizon owners about the data cap. Verizon is the company who was taken to court years back when they would not admit to its consumers about a data cap.
    07-31-08 04:45 AM
    Last I checked, it was 5GB for the entire line, whether you are tethering or not. Anyone have official word from Verizon on this? I know the ToS says 5GB and I've always assumed that was no matter whether it was tethering or on the device.

07-31-08 05:43 AM
    From Verizon's contract:

//

DATA PLANS AND FEATURES

Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

//
    Is this still true? This is what I found

Data Plans and Features: Permitted Uses
    You can use our Data Plans and Features for accessing the Internet and for such uses as: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; (iii) intranet access (including accessing corporate intranets, email and individual productivity applications made available by your company); and (iv) uploading, downloading and streaming of audio, video and games; and (v) Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).

Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses
    You may not use our Data Plans and Features for illegal purposes or purposes that infringe upon others� intellectual property rights, or in a manner that interferes with other users� service, interferes with the network�s ability to fairly allocate capacity among users or that otherwise degrades service quality for other users. Examples of prohibited usage include: (i) server devices or host computer applications, including continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients such that they could enable �bots� or similar routines (as set forth in more detail in (iii) below) or otherwise denigrate network capacity or functionality; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections; (iii) �auto-responders,� �cancel-bots,� or similar automated or manual routines that generate amounts of net traffic that could disrupt net user groups or email use by others; (iv) generating �spam� or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that facilitate the dissemination of such email); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other users or systems to use either Verizon Wireless� services or the Internet-based resources of others, including the generation or dissemination of viruses, malware or �denial of service� attacks; (vi) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless� or another entity�s network or systems; or (vii) running software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer�s connection would otherwise be idle, or �keep alive� functions, unless they adhere to Verizon Wireless� requirements for such usage, which may be changed from time to time. By way of example only, you may not use a Data Plan or Feature for web broadcasting, or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices.
    Says updated 6/2008
    Last edited by Gavihn; 08-01-08 at 10:10 AM.
    08-01-08 10:08 AM
    if you create a myvzw account you can view your data useage and it will tell you bbunlimited usage and also tehering usage i use mine for wow/updates and usualy am right at 5gig a month thats with some youtube and a lot of web surfing
    05-24-09 01:02 AM
    VZW is unlimited on the handset itself but does have a limit on tethering. The unlimited bar in your account never moves.... I have used a lot of data and it never moved. I also have been told this by many people from the company. I used to ask everytime I had someone on the phone or I walked into the store.
    05-24-09 01:13 AM
    if you create a myvzw account you can view your data useage and it will tell you bbunlimited usage and also tehering usage i use mine for wow/updates and usualy am right at 5gig a month thats with some youtube and a lot of web surfing
    If you have a fairly current version of VZAm instaled on your computer and use this for attaching your device, you can checked your tethered data right from the software as well. Just another option. If you need to update to up date the software you can find it at VZAM
    05-24-09 08:19 AM
    The company I work for told them up front we would be using it in emergencies to access whatever we need to. If they don't like that, they can get over it and risk losing a contract with over 400 phones on it. I work in Emergency Management and if I need to stream video back to the Ops Center, I damn well will.
    05-24-09 12:25 PM
    The company I work for told them up front we would be using it in emergencies to access whatever we need to. If they don't like that, they can get over it and risk losing a contract with over 400 phones on it. I work in Emergency Management and if I need to stream video back to the Ops Center, I damn well will.
    Not wether VZW likes it or not. you go over the 5GB - then the company that pays for it will pay the .25 or .5 cents (plan dependant) for the overage. no biggie
    Last edited by lastraid; 05-24-09 at 01:28 PM.
    05-24-09 12:32 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD