DESCRIPTION: I wanted a simple screen with the things in the title of this post for my 9800 Torch (likely will NOT work on other phones)
    a) black and white - so it can be viewed equally well outdoors or in darkened room
    b) 5 events - I want to see my upcoming appointments on the screen at all time
    c) 8 app dock - that's all I use (okay, 4 apps and 4 folders)
    d) no silly tabs - I hate how the stock OS screen required me to navigate around, expanding and closing tabs (or whatever they are called), accidentally swiping to the Favorites (which changes upon every reboot), etc.

SCREENSHOTS:

HOW TO INSTALL: Can only be downloaded directly over the air (OTA) to your phone. From your Torch's browser (will NOT work from a computer), simpy click on the OTA link below, and when prompted select download - after it downloads a screenshot will pop up asking if you want to activate the new theme, select Yes. To later switch themes goto Options/Display/Screen display and you can select or delete any installed themes. Most developers reccommend a battery pull - not sure if this is necessary... But it seems like the cure to all woes in the BB world is a battery pull.

OTA link:
    http://www.bbthemelab.com/s/k5nhQS

-----------------------------------------

FEATURES (not listed in description above):
    1. select profiles icon to change profile
    2. select time to access clock
    3. select signal icon to access manage connections - NOTE that I did not include the typical carrier info, which lists your mobile company and your wifi connection, but these can still be viewed clickly in manage connections screen
    4. select date to load BB lame calendar app
    5. select any event listed below date to view event info in BB lame calendar app
    6. select any app icon to launch that program
    7. first 8 apps or folders will appear on the homescreen in whatever order you have them in; these same 8 PLUS any additional ones can be accessed by pressing the BB menu button briefly (and the order can be reorganized on that page)
    7. can navigate screen and select most items using either touch-screen or trackpad - but see CAVEAT 1 below.
    8. notification icons (for new test, messages etc.) appear at right of date - but see CAVEAT 2 below

CAVEATS
    1. I could not figure out how to access clock icon via trackpad, so it can only be done via the touchscreen (if anyone knows a workaround please tell me as I would love to fix it)
    2. Because I placed notification banner area to right of date it only has room for about 4 icons (which is fine for me cause I don't use social networking feeds, etc). Also, selecting the notification banner simply launches the calendar - rather than the stock OS screen list of notifications (fine by me as I rarely used that feature in stock OS screen because there was no easy way to clear items - other than opening relevant app.)
    3. Works in landscape mode, but like many themes out there has annoying white band to right, and when you rotate back to portrait it loads the apps page (rather than homescreen) and only loads three apps per screen width (need to press red end call button to get back to portrait homescreen). This is one of the many annoying problems with the beta Themebuilder.
    4. the BB icon (several dots) indicating that you are connected to BB internet service sometimes appears and sometimes does not - apparently another bug with ThemeBuilder - but you can always check it by selecting signal icon to access manage connections, and then select service status.

I share this in the hopes it may be of use to others wanting a business-like theme - but I don't intend to tweak it much more. If it doesn't suit your fancy, there are plenty of other free and paid themes floating around. As nothing out there yet quite had what I wanted, I took a chance and played around with the beta ThemeBuilder. I encourage others to do the same - although be warned it is a real POS (er, piece of software).
    Last edited by somainer; 12-10-10 at 05:33 AM.
    arjae_rj and will1881 like this.
    12-02-10 05:45 PM
    There isn't any screenshots visible

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-10 06:41 PM
    You need to unlock and uncheck the landscape option in theme builder. When you go landscape it sqwishes the screen.

12-02-10 06:43 PM
    Thanks for this....I like it. Simple and to the point.
    Now then...I know you dont want to tweak this one....but maybe you might consider doing a girlish colored theme JUST LIKE THIS?
    Do girls like to see their calender???
    I do...but I like purty colors too.
    12-02-10 10:17 PM
    There isn't any screenshots visible

Unfortunately it appears that attached pics are NOT visible in mobile mode - only default viewing mode for web-site... Bummer

UPDATE: I re-attached thumbnail so that it is visible if viewing form computer (eg with browser like Firefox or IE), and added a ImageShack-hosted pic
    Last edited by somainer; 12-03-10 at 08:00 AM.
    12-02-10 10:42 PM

Here is a screenshot.... it's a great theme...
    Would be so awesome in a light pink.....hint hint...
    12-02-10 10:59 PM
    You need to unlock and uncheck the landscape option in theme builder. When you go landscape it sqwishes the screen.

cjmorgan1,

Can you explain this further? In ThemeBuilder 6.0 beta, I do not see any "unlock" option. I do see a check box for "Enable Landscape Homescreen" but is is NOT checked. Interestingly if I check that box, I then have an option to edit a landscape homescreen which initially seems to view correctly (ie not squished) on the 9800 simulator, but as soon as I check that box I no longer can navigate via trackpad to the signal meter. This is really clunky, buggy software. Do you have any suggestions?
    12-02-10 11:19 PM
    Here is a screenshot.... it's a great theme...
    Would be so awesome in a light pink.....hint hint...
    thanks for posting the screenshot!

re more colors, you can use any wallpaper you want. but given that the text is so light, you need relatively dark colors (ie no lighter than the lightest grey in the included wallpaper). it probably would also be best to have a simple background, with relatively little contrast.

I suggest using google images (eg search for pink rose - but look for one that is really dark, almost red). or maybe try the crackberry wallpaper forum at http://forums.crackberry.com/f123/

once you have something you like you can press the BB menu button briefly, then press it again, and select change wallpaper - then select any file you have on your phone. you can even picnh and zoom to get it the right dimensions. only problem is it will only change the homescreen wallpaper, not the applications wallpaper you see when you briefly press the BB menu button

good luck!
    12-03-10 12:12 AM
    Hi,

I just bought my new BB torch. I had WM phones for years, and now i was triggerd by the torch.
    I just installed it and it works with our exchange server.

I only missed the appointmenst on the desktop like my wm phones.
    i did a search and this toppic came up!
    many thanks, it looks like this is the right desktoptheme for me.

I tried to download it but it doent word. the file is only 2kb
    what did i do wrong?
    Can you help me to instal it?
    12-03-10 11:02 AM
    Can you help me to instal it?
    I just added the typical OTA install instructions to my first post... So try those. I just double-checked and install process still works fine on my phone.

12-03-10 11:42 AM
    hi, somainer. thank you very much for sharing this great theme. i like it so much. this is what i am looking for.
    anyway, if you plan to do any further tweak, i would request to reduce the font size of the calendar entry on the home screen for 1-2 step to make it able to show more information. you may also consider to increase the number of line to 6-7 as appropriate too.

Good Jobs. Thank you again.
    12-07-10 01:04 AM
    I like this theme.
    But can you possibly make one without the events/calendar on the homescreen?
    Please, please, please?
    THANKS!!!
    12-09-10 09:05 PM
    i cant seem to get the alx.,.cod or ,jad file....what file format is it in?
    12-10-10 04:35 AM
    i cant seem to get the alx.,.cod or ,jad file....what file format is it in?
    You must click on OTA link from within Torch's browser

12-10-10 05:38 AM
    Great theme
    12-11-10 02:45 PM
    Bump to the top please.....
    12-14-10 07:56 AM
    excellent theme, exactly what i've been waiting for.

if however you can get to fit calendar preview and messages preview in one that would be perfect.
    12-18-10 04:12 PM
    It is a very nice and smooth theme. It even has the touch pad working and the name of the icons ( unlike all the themes I tried and bought).

BUT , can we removve the agenda items from the home screen, or at least hide it ?

Thanks
    12-19-10 10:49 AM
    It is a very nice and smooth theme. It even has the touch pad working and the name of the icons ( unlike all the themes I tried and bought).

BUT , can we removve the agenda items from the home screen, or at least hide it ?

Thanks
    It's frustrating when you buy the theme only to find out the touchpad doesnt work. I have never had so many problems and asked for so many refunds before.
    12-19-10 11:27 AM
    This is a great theme... exactly what I'm looking for... the only issue are too big fonts, which make calendar almost not readable - just 7-8 characters from the appointment title and 7-8 of the location is not much...

How about making calendar fonts smaller, move date/time of the meeting to the left, decrease spacer to the name... remove location or move it to the second line - with much smaller fonts?
    12-21-10 02:11 AM
    Very cool and clean... awesome... but it would be "cleaner" and more wallpaperfriendly with no permanent calender... :-) just a small suggestion...:-)
    12-21-10 04:26 AM
    How about making calendar fonts smaller, move date/time of the meeting to the left, decrease spacer to the name... remove location or move it to the second line - with much smaller fonts?
    Unfortunately the beta theme builder doesn't allow much in the way of customization - it appears that the only thing you can tweak is font size (and number of events). If anyone knows how to accomplish the type of things Alekwo describes, please share your knowlkedge.

I am sooooo missing my WinMobile homescreen these days - for those looking for other options for viewing events on homescreen (warning that it also contains a bit of a rant from me about the BB platform) seehttp://forums.crackberry.com/f209/vi...screen-563404/
    Last edited by somainer; 12-22-10 at 08:25 AM.
    12-21-10 10:31 AM
    This is a great theme!

It appers it doesnt work so well in Landscape. However, the Calendar stuff on the Today is the BEST.

If the FONT for the entries could be smaller, you could fit more lol... GOOD JOB!

I assume the wallpaper when viewing the icons is not a changable thing?
    Last edited by mcfz; 12-24-10 at 09:27 AM.
    12-23-10 10:28 AM
    It appers it doesnt work so well in Landscape.
    Per my OP this is a known issue with the beta version of RIM's theme builder. One can create nice landscape screens in theme builder but then you lose trackpad navigation abilities - not a worthwhile trade-off in my book. My workaround is a screen orientation lock utility - like SixTools or TiltLock - that keeps homescreen in portrait orientation all the time

I assume the wallpaper when viewing the icons is not a changable thing?
    Yes. Unfortunately I see no option in theme builder to control that. If anyone knows how to tweak a theme so that user-selected wallpaper also works for folders and app screens, please share your secrets!

Last edited by somainer; 12-24-10 at 11:25 AM.
    12-24-10 11:17 AM
    Theme Builder to Blame!

Great theme nonetheless somainer... Are you able to reduce the font size of the Today Calendar listen so I can have say my 8 icons and 8-10 calendar entries?
    12-25-10 11:43 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD