How may hours/days does your Torch lasts? Mine, on the first day is like only 24 hrs with not much of using aside from wifi and texting. Is that okay? On my previous phones my phone lasts for about 2 days with heavy use. Does upgrading/updating to the new OS solves this? And btw, I charged my phone for the first time like 3 hrs only. I'm thinking that is the one causing the problem. But I really don't know.
    11-28-10 05:45 PM
    My Torch lasts about 2 and a half days with most of my settings changed to the lowest possible settings.
    Using wifi whenever I can. Get on average with my Torch about 50 emails sent/received and about 20 sms sent/received per day and about maybe 10 minutes of calls per day.

Charging your battery for the first for 3 hours shouldn't affect the battery life as lithium-ion battery has no memory. I would recommend to maintain a strong battery never let the power level drop below 20% and top it off whenever you can. If it drops to low levels it can damage the cells.
    11-28-10 05:48 PM
    Mine lasted about 3 days with barely any usage at all. About 2 months later, it lasts roughly a day with moderate usage, and about 2 days if I leave it idle. Unnecessary services are turned off to conserve battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-10 05:55 PM
    Couldn't tell you to be honest. I always have enough to last my day, and I throw it on the desktop charger when I get home.

I Never have had a problem with battery life. If you get used to a normal charging procedure(not just when it looks like it needs it) you'll find you wont have to worry about if you have enough.

I leave everything on(wifi, bluetooth) and my screen to 100 with berryweather updating at 10 minute intervals as well as ubertwitter at 15 minutes.

If I cant use my device how I want to, whats the sense of owning it? Just keep a charger around.
    john_v likes this.
    11-28-10 06:01 PM
    I would recommend to maintain a strong battery never let the power level drop below 20% and top it off whenever you can. If it drops to low levels it can damage the cells.
    Device has a built in "shutoff mode" that shuts down the device when the battery reaches a certain level, it's perfectly safe to use your phone until it shuts itself off. There is no danger of over depleting the battery rending it useless.
    11-28-10 06:04 PM
    Couldn't tell you to be honest. I always have enough to last my day, and I throw it on the desktop charger when I get home.

I Never have had a problem with battery life. If you get used to a normal charging procedure(not just when it looks like it needs it) you'll find you wont have to worry about if you have enough.

I leave everything on(wifi, bluetooth) and my screen to 100 with berryweather updating at 10 minute intervals as well as ubertwitter at 15 minutes.

If I cant use my device how I want to, whats the sense of owning it? Just keep a charger around.
    I have never had an issue with battery life as well. But I do turn down screen brightness to 10% and it is still plenty bright.

I have increased the intervals by which apps like FB, Twitter and BW update. I also make sure that the web browser is closed down.

I turn off WiFi when I don't need it but leave Bluetooth connected.

I top my battery off whenever possible either at home, in the office or in the car.
    11-28-10 06:48 PM
    mine is less than a 24hr day. more like a 9-5 day. my 9700 was an entire day and a half. i find the torch battery life is closer to the iphone. i guess its that bug touch screen its powering all the time.
    11-29-10 01:54 AM
    Mine lasts about 2 days with rather heavy usage with web browsing/email texts and bbm. Maybe a 10 minute call.One thing ive noticed at times the phone can bug up and when you have your slider down the physical keyboard will light up, a simple battery pull can fix this. Also the biggest contributer to any battery kill is the brightness of the screen. This goes for any battery charged device such as a laptop or ipod or anything with a screen.
    11-29-10 02:17 AM
    I am a pretty heavy user, hard pressed to get the torch to last some days.

It is in the teens almost every night by the time I put it on the charger, and some days I have to charge it in the car for a bit to so it doesn't turn off the radio before I get home. (I can work pretty late sometimes though)

I like the device but I almost never ran out of battery with my 9700. That is one thing I miss about the 9700.
    Last edited by dudermont; 11-29-10 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Corrections
    11-29-10 02:30 AM
    This is the most disappointing thing about the Torch, the battery life is seriously crap compared to any other BB I've ever had. The 9700 I ditched for the 9800 would last 2 1/2 days or so. The Torch has trouble getting through a day from 7 AM to 11 PM, and I charge it beside the bed every night. It does seem to have got very slightly better after a few battery-pulls since I installed 6.0.0.337 though, but I'm not holding out for more than a day in upgrades in the future.

I'm basically waiting for RIM to release a successor to the 9700 which has enough memory to deal with 6.0 properly, and then I'll sell my Torch. I don't find the touch screen particularly useful as my fingers are pretty big and I could get things done on the 9700 and its predecessors so quickly with shortcuts.
    11-29-10 05:31 AM
    Mine could last 2 days if I'm barely using it, and only a day if I'm on it most of the time(which I usually am). I'm almost always BBMing, checking something out on CB, just on the internet or playing games.
    11-29-10 07:32 AM
    So after charging it full, I slept for about 6hrs and my battery went down to 85% already. I've upgraded to the latest OS but it seems it doesn't affect the battery life. My brightness is at 50% and no running apps on background. I guess it's the torch itself that has a problem.
    11-29-10 08:39 AM
    What's funny is that no matter what Rim does..they can't please everyone. People complain non-stop about the lack of this or the lack of that..complain that Rim is behind the times with all their hardware and software. And yet when they do put something out there in an attempt to compete..now all's people do is compare against their old devices (which couldn't do half as much as the new phone) and complain about it. Oh well..I guess that's what these forums as for..

john_v likes this.
    11-29-10 09:31 AM
    What's funny is that no matter what Rim does..they can't please everyone. People complain non-stop about the lack of this or the lack of that..complain that Rim is behind the times with all their hardware and software. And yet when they do put something out there in an attempt to compete..now all's people do is compare against their old devices (which couldn't do half as much as the new phone) and complain about it. Oh well..I guess that's what these forums as for..
    Agreed!
    People complain now, imagine battery life if RIM had included a 1Ghz processor and retina display...
    11-29-10 09:46 AM
    I get a full day no problem. I'm a heavy user and so is my sister and she uses an iPhone. She barely gets a day out of her phone and I get a day easily with 40 % or so of the battery left.

11-29-10 10:08 AM
    I was told that the proper way to charge a lithium ion battery is to let it charge all the way and dont recharge untill the battery is at least 98% dead. you charge it like this for the first 5 charges or so. the reason for this is because if you charge your battery to soon (when its half dead) then it will start to reconize that half way point(of the battery life) as the fulley used battery. just keep in mind that this is what i have been told but it seems to be accurate.

unlike most people that i know i olny charge my phone when it is warning me with the the notice light and i always let it fulley charge before i disconect it. i the olny time im not on my phone is when im sleeping. so i guess i use it alot.
    11-29-10 10:54 AM
    I removed my Casemate barely there case and now get 2 days on a charge. before I took the case off I was watching the level go down. I threw it in the trash. worse case I've ever bought. it reduced the wifi signal which I guess was causing the battery to go dead. not sure but I have an AGT on the way hoping to have better results.
    11-29-10 12:03 PM
    I was told that the proper way to charge a lithium ion battery is to let it charge all the way and dont recharge untill the battery is at least 98% dead. you charge it like this for the first 5 charges or so. the reason for this is because if you charge your battery to soon (when its half dead) then it will start to reconize that half way point(of the battery life) as the fulley used battery. just keep in mind that this is what i have been told but it seems to be accurate.

unlike most people that i know i olny charge my phone when it is warning me with the the notice light and i always let it fulley charge before i disconect it. i the olny time im not on my phone is when im sleeping. so i guess i use it alot.
    Sorry to say that not only is this information incorrect, but following it is the worst thing you can do to a lithium battery.

Lithium batteries do not have memory like that old Ni-MH ones did that required full discharges... It's been said many times around here that one should never let the battery discharge fully, as that puts unnecessary strain on it.

Best course of action would be to constantly top-up or charge every night (the phone will automatically stop the charging process once it reaches 100%).

Someone here (don't remember who) once posted this article which is a good source for additional info:
    How to prolong lithium-based batteries

You can also take a look at these threads:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/do...period-544837/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ho...-torch-533108/
    11-29-10 01:05 PM
    I had been getting rather poor battery life for a while. The other day I noticed there was yet another update to DRIVESAFE.LY I have been getting tired of the every-other-day update for this app but when I looked at it, it said it was to improve battery drain. Naturaly I jumped on this one. Let me tell ya! What a diference! HUGE improvement to battery life! If you have this app be sure to check BB App World for this update.
    11-29-10 03:03 PM
    Woosh. My battery got drain for only 1 day. I haven't even called anyone on this day, just texting and surfing the web using 3g.
    11-29-10 09:00 PM
    Mine lasts pretty well with moderate usage. Haven't really tracked it since I usually charge it at night before I go to bed or in the morning when I'm in the shower and getting ready for work. Only once have I ever woken up with my battery bar in the red (that was probably 2 days without a charge). Sometimes I charge it in the car on the way to work to give it a little extra juice during the day, but really the battery lasts well for me.

No complaints here. It's an electronic device, it has to be charged.
    11-29-10 09:06 PM
    Woosh. My battery got drain for only 1 day. I haven't even called anyone on this day, just texting and surfing the web using 3g.
    3G killed my battery the first few days (along with an app running the background). I use 2G and keep unnecessary apps shut off and my battery is fine now.
    11-29-10 09:07 PM
    The first Torch I had would not last a day (started with 4 hours, then 8 then 12 but never more than 16 hours and then it would die). I exchanged it and I am good for at about 2 days. Bluetooth is on, I use the browser, tweetdeck, FB and receive 50 to 150 emails per day (I just don't read them all).
    Using a holster or case with a battery saver works well too.
    One thing to note: is the device getting very hot. The first Torch I had was so hot when I typed that I could barely hold it in my hands.
    My habit is to plug it in to charge every night. I just added the dock to my desk at work so I anticipate few power issues now.
    11-29-10 09:16 PM
    The first Torch I had would not last a day (started with 4 hours, then 8 then 12 but never more than 16 hours and then it would die). I exchanged it and I am good for at about 2 days. Bluetooth is on, I use the browser, tweetdeck, FB and receive 50 to 150 emails per day (I just don't read them all).
    Using a holster or case with a battery saver works well too.
    One thing to note: is the device getting very hot. The first Torch I had was so hot when I typed that I could barely hold it in my hands.
    My habit is to plug it in to charge every night. I just added the dock to my desk at work so I anticipate few power issues now.
    What do you mean by you exchanged it? You exchanged the battery or the phone itself?
    11-30-10 01:05 AM

Umm. What can the 9800 do that the 9700 can't? I got tired of getting the same device time after time. That's why I changed. The 9800 could have been a better device. My iPhone 4 now can outlast the 9800. Which is sad. I'm sorry. Rim was known for excellent battery life and that's no longer the case. Rim, I miss you. But come on.

11-30-10 01:30 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD