If so, will you incur data charges? It's been 2 years since I've had the BOLD, but I had to cancel the data plan since I haven't using it for a while now (used it heavily when I first got it with e-mail and such but don't have much of a need) and with financial issues being a constraint I had to cut out the data plan and opt for using a basic phone.

However when I canceled the data plan today the rep said if I put the SIM card in it it'll incur data charges automatically even after I canceled. ALL I plan on using it now is for the texting/calling (NO internet) so I was wondering if it was true what he said. I wouldn't have doubted his validity when he told me but when I told him I was canceling the plan he was very adamant and giving me attitude throughout the whole process. So is what he said true? (after canceling data plan and putting SIM card in Bold will I still get charged even though I won't access the internet?) Thanks in advance for your help!
    11-27-10 10:06 PM
    Usually once you cancel a data plan on your Blackberry, you won't be able to access any of the BIS related features such as emails, BBM. Internet would require you to have wi-fi at least, but not sure if wi-fi would work without a data plan
    11-27-10 10:10 PM
    Hmm, so what he said about it incurring data charges was just a load of bull? I'm still kind of nervous about using the phone because I don't want to incur any charges but I don't have any basic phone on me so I might have to buy one...
    11-27-10 10:11 PM
    Most likely yes. But I would call back to CS and ask another rep and see what they say
    11-27-10 10:13 PM
    Hmm, thanks. I just called a CS rep and apparently if I use ANY smartphone at all it'll incur a 25 dollar internet charge. Bs imo I guess I gotta look for a basic phone from one of my friends...
    11-27-10 10:46 PM
    AT&T requires a data plan for any smartphone added since September 2009. So if you use the 9000, they will detect it during an IMEI sweep and automatically add the most expensive data plan available.
    11-27-10 11:01 PM
    I forgot that AT&T does imei sweeps to ensure a smartphone has a data plan.
    11-27-10 11:02 PM
    Wow that's bull.
    IMO call customer retentions and threaten to cancel your contract if they don't whitelist you on the sweep.
    11-28-10 01:49 AM
    LOL ! That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.
    Glad I'm not living in the U.S.

I mean - WTF is their problem what phone am I using if I'm not using any data ?!
    Last edited by vaahtera; 11-28-10 at 05:26 AM.
    11-28-10 02:17 AM
    Glad not leaving in the U.S.

I mean - WTF is their problem what phone am I using if I'm not using any data ?!
    Agreed but really service providers are getting more and more greedy for money, and getting consumers to pay more. The US is still cheaper in cellphone service plans that Canada. We have one of the most expensive prices for phone plans, which actually suck.
    11-28-10 02:19 AM
    I don't mind Bells service plans, i pay $35 for unlimited text and BB social, and if i use bolt as a browser i get unlimited data as well, for some reason bell didn't mark that as a data app and not a social app =D
    11-28-10 02:44 AM
    I tried it on my previous 9700 with Bolt, it looks like Bell has marked it for HSPA. Which sucks I had to argue a while to get it back from Bell the charges although they were my fault.

As well compared with what we get for what we are paying for compared to the States and Europe we are getting robbed. We sign a 3 year contract and get the same price of the phone or more expensive than 2 years contracts in the States. Just plain brutal
    Last edited by aznlgcy; 11-28-10 at 02:49 AM.
    11-28-10 02:45 AM
    That is why i use prepaid
    I talked to a bell CS rep, and got email added to my account for free. The only things i can't use are apps marked as data, such as weather apps, bb maps (i use trekbuddy anyways so this isnt an issue) and bb browser (again.. i use bolt so no problem there)
    11-28-10 03:22 AM
    I pay 12$ for 5 mega (bis)/month. This is expensive
    11-28-10 03:31 AM
    I don't mind Bells service plans, i pay $35 for unlimited text and BB social, and if i use bolt as a browser i get unlimited data as well, for some reason bell didn't mark that as a data app and not a social app =D
    US carriers do not even offer "social plans".
    11-28-10 03:45 AM
    Well then change carrier, 8/euro for 200MB on orange RO
    11-28-10 05:27 AM
    i dropped my data plan about a year ago, but have not been charged since then. i took an old Razr phone to our local office and swapped back over to the 9000 in the parking lot.
    11-28-10 10:39 AM
    T-Mo will let you run a BB without a data plan
    11-29-10 07:53 PM
    So to reinforce the information here, using a BB on att requires a data plan?

I have a Bold 9000 that I purchased at launch (back when att still had unlimited data plans) but the nice cushy job that allowed me the opportunity to get the most of my bold vanished, and I stopped my service after my contract was up. Since that time, I went back to using a landline phone, since I'm back in school with a negative cash flow.

Recently my parents told me that for their peace of mind they would add me to their family plan (since it costs about the same as I pay for my landline) that is basically minutes and sms texts. Apparently they worry about the 45 minute commute I make on my bicycle each way to school in our very unfriendly to cyclist town, although I don't know how I would be able to use the phone if I were injured seriously enough to need to.

So I have a new SIM card that the sales rep said work work in either of the "old phones" that remained after they both upgraded to newer models, and my Bold that does everything that we all love it for. While wi-fi would be nice, all I really want from it is calls and texts.

Is there any workaround at all (I can even try the grind against att for some sort of exemption) or am I stuck with a dumb-phone?
    12-26-10 01:45 AM
    AT&T requires a data plan for any smartphone added since September 2009. So if you use the 9000, they will detect it during an IMEI sweep and automatically add the most expensive data plan available.
    I am well aware of people saying this, but I have had a Bold 9000 without a data plan for a LONG time now, and they have yet to do anything so I am not sure if that is 100% true. On the at&t website they know I have a Bold 9000 as well. I have yet to be switched back to any kind of data plan. I don't get charged for data at all... When I do use the browser, I use it on WiFi.
    12-27-10 05:01 PM
    I am well aware of people saying this, but I have had a Bold 9000 without a data plan for a LONG time now, and they have yet to do anything so I am not sure if that is 100% true. On the at&t website they know I have a Bold 9000 as well. I have yet to be switched back to any kind of data plan. I don't get charged for data at all... When I do use the browser, I use it on WiFi.
    Did you have that 9000 on your acct prior to 9/2009?
    12-27-10 05:11 PM
    Did you have that 9000 on your acct prior to 9/2009?
    I got a Bold 9000 before September 2009, but I got a different one after that because the phone was under warranty. It has a different IMEI, so it's a different phone. But who knows, they probably let me continue because it was not my fault the phone was damaged, it had many hardware issues and it was still under warranty. This whole rule is stupid because it is a great phone to have even if you don't use data. The keyboard is awesome for texting.
    12-27-10 05:23 PM
    Glad I'm not living in the U.S.

Cell. Phone companies in the usa are like the insurance companies they are in business to make money giving you the short end of the stick. You can use the bold but make sure its not bought in the USA as well cause they will read ur phone and give u A hidden chArge so be careful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 08:37 PM
    Just in case you were wondering, the bold works on wifi even without a SIM card. Was forced to get the torch and now use the Bold only in bedside mode as an alarm clock and to check my facebook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-10 12:26 AM
    I unlocked my Rogers Bold 9000 and I am currently using a Virgin Mobile SIM card that has a phone and unlimited SMS plan. 3G service works fine. Wi-fi works fine. No worries.
    12-31-10 06:36 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD