Tried a search but couldn't get anything to turn up..

Do you think the PB will have it's own separate PIN to use with BBM? I'm interested in purchasing, but I am not a BB owner (yet) and wondered if Email, BBM etc will work on WiFi without a blackberry, or if the PB was just meant to be an extension for those who already owned BBs.

Thanks for your input!
    11-27-10 09:29 PM
    we dont know how everything will work yet unfortunately. you questions are exactly what everyone else wants to know
    11-27-10 09:35 PM
    I was wondering the exact same thing..although I have a blackberry now, I may end up switching to the iphone in a few months..
    11-27-10 09:36 PM
    The PlayBook definitely has a PIN, as the currently simulator has a PIN, and they've been advising developers to use it as the unique ID. Whether it will have access to push services without being paired to a BB phone is less clear. There used to be something on RIM's site saying you'd need to be paired for push, but that's not there anymore.
    11-28-10 12:42 AM
    The PlayBook definitely has a PIN, as the currently simulator has a PIN, and they've been advising developers to use it as the unique ID. Whether it will have access to push services without being paired to a BB phone is less clear. There used to be something on RIM's site saying you'd need to be paired for push, but that's not there anymore.

The Wifi Version of the PB most certainly will NOT be able to BBM without pairing to a Blackberry phone, I believe the PIN of the PB's is so you can develop device specific apps, and Administer PB's over the BES,

BBM/Push services go through your Carrier, you need to have your pin registered with a carrier.blackberry.net account, since the PB isn't registered with your carrier it can't have BBM.
    11-28-10 06:03 AM
    The Wifi Version of the PB most certainly will NOT be able to BBM without pairing to a Blackberry phone, I believe the PIN of the PB's is so you can develop device specific apps, and Administer PB's over the BES,

BBM/Push services go through your Carrier, you need to have your pin registered with a carrier.blackberry.net account, since the PB isn't registered with your carrier it can't have BBM.
    That's my understanding also, however, there may be things in the works we don't know about. It's conceivable that RIM could set up a playbook.blackberry.net server that could be used by BES to admin these devices over wifi internet connections. Allowing then both BBM and push email etc. Of course, then they would be suspended when not wifi connected.

Just don't know yet but it should be interesting. I hope tether is not the only avenue to access BBM or BES push functions. I think tethering is just and excuse for the carriers to add additional charges. Really costs them little to nothing to administer and set up.
    11-28-10 07:33 AM
    i know you can already use BIS services thru wifi with no connection to a cell network so if it has a PIN there should be no reason that you cant register the playbook and use all of BIS (push, bbm etc) over wifi unless RIM just says no.
    11-28-10 10:39 AM
    i know you can already use BIS services thru wifi with no connection to a cell network so if it has a PIN there should be no reason that you cant register the playbook and use all of BIS (push, bbm etc) over wifi unless RIM just says no.
    Only works if the network allows you to register a second PIN to the BIS account. That would need a major revision for existing BIS functionality from RIM, and the commercial will of individual networks to make it available to users on existing BIS accounts.

None of this helps non-BB owners... no BIS, no PIN.
    11-28-10 12:15 PM
    Only works if the network allows you to register a second PIN to the BIS account. That would need a major revision for existing BIS functionality from RIM, and the commercial will of individual networks to make it available to users on existing BIS accounts.

None of this helps non-BB owners... no BIS, no PIN.

I thought along these lines, if I could get the SMALLEST possible voicedata plan for an existing BB, then potentially I could register the PIN of a PB instead of that BB's plan, IF RIM designs the playbook with all the setup software.

Since I'll only be using it on Wifi, the plan would never get used so it being small would not matter, but again you are at the added expense of an additional line.
    11-28-10 12:33 PM
    added line plus i think $15 minimum for data is too much extra IMO. be easy just to actually have plans for $30 or whatever for it
    11-28-10 12:48 PM
    it isn't a Carrier device, they Carriers wont make a plan for them since they wont use Data resources, so to use it as a standalone BBM client, you will have to do some trickery
    11-28-10 02:02 PM

I agree it's unlikely that it will have push, but not impossible. RIM has released a WiFi-only BlackBerry with push before. It was so long ago most people have forgotten it, but it did exist. Obviously there's some provision in their infrastructure for managing BIS accounts for WiFi-only devices. Also as noted, I can turn off the cell radio on my Torch and push still works perfectly over WiFi.
    11-28-10 03:02 PM
    Tried a search but couldn't get anything to turn up..

Do you think the PB will have it's own separate PIN to use with BBM? I'm interested in purchasing, but I am not a BB owner (yet) and wondered if Email, BBM etc will work on WiFi without a blackberry, or if the PB was just meant to be an extension for those who already owned BBs.

Thanks for your input!

Yes this will be imperative for Rim and not to mention the security efforts they want to use. How this will work with a BB, I am not sure. But best believe there will be one.
    11-28-10 03:47 PM
    I agree it's unlikely that it will have push, but not impossible. RIM has released a WiFi-only BlackBerry with push before. It was so long ago most people have forgotten it, but it did exist. Obviously there's some provision in their infrastructure for managing BIS accounts for WiFi-only devices. Also as noted, I can turn off the cell radio on my Torch and push still works perfectly over WiFi.
    The BB7270 (Wifi Only) BB was never a BIS phone, it was exclusively a BES phone as far as I remember needing to be integrated with an existing PBX system.

Also as far as I know BBM did not exist till the 8XXX series of phones, I may be wrong, as I am unsure WHEN BBM launched but there certainly isn't any information about it in 2004 when the BB7270 was made.

Turning off your Cell Radio still has your device registered to a Carrier, THIS is the issue, is Registering to a Carrier when you are not a Carrier device, I suspect the PIN in the Wifi only Playbook is because when Cellular Playbooks launch they will then have the ability to be registered with Cellular networks.

As I mentioned I suspect the Playbook Wifi only will beable to be registered to a BES, as a Carrier is not needed to host the push service.
    11-28-10 05:27 PM
    The BB7270 (Wifi Only) BB was never a BIS phone, it was exclusively a BES phone as far as I remember needing to be integrated with an existing PBX system.
    This is true. I'd forgotten how new BIS is.

Turning off your Cell Radio still has your device registered to a Carrier, THIS is the issue, is Registering to a Carrier when you are not a Carrier device, I suspect the PIN in the Wifi only Playbook is because when Cellular Playbooks launch they will then have the ability to be registered with Cellular networks.

As I mentioned I suspect the Playbook Wifi only will beable to be registered to a BES, as a Carrier is not needed to host the push service.
    How hard would it be though for RIM to offer BIS accounts without the carrier? My understanding is that although BIS is on some level carrier specific, the servers are run by RIM. I don't know any details of their systems, but it seems to me they could create a fake "WiFi Service Carrier" or something. Given how even small carriers manage to offer BBs I don't think adding more carriers to BIS is very hard.

At the end of the day though I'm speaking hypothetically. I don't think the PlayBook will support push, I just see different reasons for why. I think it has more to do with enterprise security. If you can push directly to a device then it has to store the data, and remote wiping/management of a device with such intermittent network connectivity would be difficult.
    11-28-10 05:56 PM

Also as far as I know BBM did not exist till the 8XXX series of phones, I may be wrong, as I am unsure WHEN BBM launched but there certainly isn't any information about it in 2004 when the BB7270 was made.

My 7250 had bbm. It was very primitive back then. But it worked. Still did D, R and is writing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-10 06:18 PM
    This is true. I'd forgotten how new BIS is.

How hard would it be though for RIM to offer BIS accounts without the carrier? My understanding is that although BIS is on some level carrier specific, the servers are run by RIM. I don't know any details of their systems, but it seems to me they could create a fake "WiFi Service Carrier" or something. Given how even small carriers manage to offer BBs I don't think adding more carriers to BIS is very hard.

At the end of the day though I'm speaking hypothetically. I don't think the PlayBook will support push, I just see different reasons for why. I think it has more to do with enterprise security. If you can push directly to a device then it has to store the data, and remote wiping/management of a device with such intermittent network connectivity would be difficult.

I assume that the BIS accounts are simply domain redirecting since since it is just a subdomain.
    But it would be an entire new thing for RIM to administer if they started servicing the end user direct as apposed to through Carriers and dealers.
    11-28-10 08:17 PM
    My guess is it will... BUT when you have it connected to a blackberry device it will change your pins so they match. I would hate to have to have duplicates of a person, once for their phone and the other for their tablet.
    11-28-10 09:02 PM
    If it can't be used as a stand alone device, they would have to market it solely to those who already own a blackberry device. Or use it as some sort of incentive to get people to buy a BB and then a tablet. I guess to me it just wouldn't make sense for it NOT to have it's own pin and access to email without tethering. And if the blackberry was a Pre requisite, they might as well sell it at carrier stores as there would be no other reason to have it.

11-28-10 09:33 PM
    If it can't be used as a stand alone device, they would have to market it solely to those who already own a blackberry device. Or use it as some sort of incentive to get people to buy a BB and then a tablet. I guess to me it just wouldn't make sense for it NOT to have it's own pin and access to email without tethering. And if the blackberry was a Pre requisite, they might as well sell it at carrier stores as there would be no other reason to have it.

What is the Reason to have a Wifi iPad or iPod Touch then?

Or a Wifi only netbook? there are lots of things that can be done Without Push email and BBM,

it has a full web experience, and office apps, it would make a very functional not taking tablet, for students, or for use as an ebook reader/ commuter note taker.
    11-28-10 09:58 PM
    I was thinking a pin would be good for when enterprise it departments want to set up the pb as only pairing with one phone and that's all that will be permitted. So they can push certain apps to certain playbooks. That's my guess for now.

11-28-10 10:26 PM
    What is the Reason to have a Wifi iPad or iPod Touch then?

Or a Wifi only netbook? there are lots of things that can be done Without Push email and BBM,

it has a full web experience, and office apps, it would make a very functional not taking tablet, for students, or for use as an ebook reader/ commuter note taker.
    Both the iPad and iPod touch do email...

I guess my argument would be, why would they make and market such a powerful device for simple task as note taking and browsing the web?

I also agree with the post about using the PIN to pair. If you could just pair with any blackberry then theoretically I could just pair with a family members BB when I am not around wifi for tethering use, which I doubt would fly with any carrier.

11-29-10 09:44 AM
    If the PIN is for UID then that would be fine, but I'd hate to make two BBM ID's and having my BBM contacts approve both devices and have two duplicate entry's against my name. Also others would be constantly wondering which PIN to send the BBM to.
    11-29-10 11:41 AM
    If the PIN is for UID then that would be fine, but I'd hate to make two BBM ID's and having my BBM contacts approve both devices and have two duplicate entry's against my name. Also others would be constantly wondering which PIN to send the BBM to.
    We've got confirmation the PlayBook will have BBM sync. I'm pretty sure you won't have two separate contact lists.
    11-29-10 12:09 PM
    We've got confirmation the PlayBook will have BBM sync. I'm pretty sure you won't have two separate contact lists.
    So will it have BBM sync + it's own unique PIN for a standalone BBM access for folks who might not have a BB?
    11-29-10 01:22 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD