Had the T-Mobile Blackberry Curve 8900 for over a year now, and just switched to the Verizon Wireless Blackberry Bold 9650 today.

A few things:
    1. I backed up my 8900 then restored it to the 9650, but the only thing that transferred over was my text messages - none of my contacts or anything transferred over.

Is it b/c the curve 8900 was on OS 6 and this 9650 is on OS 5? Am I going to have to manually do all 500+ of my contacts?

2. Should I unlock the 9650? What are the benefits? and if I definitely should unlock, what's the best/easiest way to do so?

3. In terms of:
    - case
    - screen protector
    - car charger
    - new battery
    any suggestions?

4. anything else I should know about the t-mobile curve 8900 -> verizon wireless bold 9650 switch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    11-27-10 01:53 PM
    Had the T-Mobile Blackberry Curve 8900 for over a year now, and just switched to the Verizon Wireless Blackberry Bold 9650 today.

A few things:
    1. I backed up my 8900 then restored it to the 9650, but the only thing that transferred over was my text messages - none of my contacts or anything transferred over.

Is it b/c the curve 8900 was on OS 6 and this 9650 is on OS 5? Am I going to have to manually do all 500+ of my contacts?

2. Should I unlock the 9650? What are the benefits? and if I definitely should unlock, what's the best/easiest way to do so?

3. In terms of:
    - case
    - screen protector
    - car charger
    - new battery
    any suggestions?

4. anything else I should know about the t-mobile curve 8900 -> verizon wireless bold 9650 switch?

try to do it manually..do an advanced restore..and from your 8900 back up file, only replace the address book file over to the 9650 and see what happens..

let me know if that works.
    11-27-10 02:33 PM
    I think you'll get better service with Verizon.
    You should probably get a hard case for your Bold.
    If you charge your 9650 while you sleep, you shouldn't need a car charger.

EDIT: I guess my last statement was very incorrect. Get every type of charger you can get your hands on because if we have a big natural disaster; You need to charge your device.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 11-27-10 at 03:55 PM.
    11-27-10 02:37 PM
    I think you'll get better service with Verizon.
    You should probably get a hard case for your Bold.
    If you charge your 9650 while you sleep, you shouldn't need a car charger.
    I completely disagree with the last statement, having a car charger is a huge asset to me, you never know what's going to happen and I'd rather be prepared, I even have a spare wall charger that I keep in my pickup
    11-27-10 03:01 PM

A few things:

3. In terms of:
    - case
    - screen protector
    - car charger
    - new battery
    any suggestions?

Presuming for the moment that you have a PC, if you don't have the latest version of Desktop Manager, download and install it. Then, do a device switch with DM.

Another way is to download (if you don't already have it) BBSAK, do a full backup with it and then do a restore of apps, contacts, data, whatever you want restored. I think BBSAK gives you a choice of what to restore. This is probably the better way.

The only reason to unlock your device is if you are planning to do considerable overseas travel and want to use SIM cards other than vzw. While in the US, set your Network Technology to 1XEV and remove, flip over and re-insert your SIM card. This will help to improve your battery life.
    11-27-10 03:49 PM
    I use a privacy screen protector on my Bold. That way no one can see over your shoulder or from the sides. Very important for me since I sometimes use my Bold at work-high school!!!!

Also, I second what Nozzles is saying about chargers. I would get a car charger and a desk charger for every location you are going to be in. My Bold dies quickly. mean, it will go to 25 or 30% by 4 pm. If you use it more aggressively on phone calls...EVEN FASTER.

Get as many charging pods as you can!!! LOL
    11-27-10 03:50 PM
    I completely disagree with the last statement, having a car charger is a huge asset to me, you never know what's going to happen and I'd rather be prepared, I even have a spare wall charger that I keep in my pickup
    +1 on the car charger. I don't carry a wall charger in my truck but I do carry one in my laptop case which is with me if I am going most anywhere other than to run a few errands. I also have a Seidio 2600 mAh extended battery in my device, got tired of swapping batteries at least once a day. 2600 gives me all the battery life that I really need.
    11-27-10 03:53 PM
    I use a privacy screen protector on my Bold. That way no one can see over your shoulder or from the sides. Very important for me since I sometimes use my Bold at work-high school!!!!

Also, I second what Nozzles is saying about chargers. I would get a car charger and a desk charger for every location you are going to be in. My Bold dies quickly. mean, it will go to 25 or 30% by 4 pm. If you use it more aggressively on phone calls...EVEN FASTER.

Get as many charging pods as you can!!! LOL
    Yup, thanks to JayDee's urging I also have a privacy screen protector on my Bold. Great protection and privacy, heartily recommend one.

PS - We haven't been able to convince JayDee to get an extended battery, she really likes having desktop charging pods everwhere she goes.... Actually, that works pretty well also.
    Last edited by BoDeb; 11-27-10 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Add comment
    11-27-10 03:55 PM
    +1 on the extra chargers. I'm a college student who's constantly talking on the phone, texting, IM-ing, e-mailing, etc. Usually I'm okay until I get back home, but it's nice to know that you can always charge it if you wanted to. Plus, it is small enough that it's not a hassle at all to carry it anywhere.
    11-27-10 05:01 PM
    I have a car charger, a charger at home and one at work. I listen to Pandora most of the day so it works for me. I have a hard case by Speck and I love it! Enjoy your phone!
    11-27-10 05:03 PM
    Is the bold a huge difference to the tour on vz? Outside of the trac pad and wifi of course. Just updated my tour to the .975, official upgrade by the way, but seems I have more memory, up to 256mb. So is there any huge difference? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by not_addicted77; 11-27-10 at 10:20 PM.
    11-27-10 10:17 PM
    Home & car charger. Plus you can charge off of a computer @ work if you have a PC. I keep a spare charger in my overnight bag for the firehouse.
    I just picked up a 9630 Platinum case/holster combo at Best Buy on closeout for $8.00. I used a utility knife with a fresh blade to shave off a little bit of the case near the USB port. I little of the speaker is covered on the left side, but that doesn't seem critical. It looks like a Seidio knock-off, but it doesn't say it anywhere on the packaging. On the instructions it references Seidio's website for warranty information. Interesting.

11-27-10 10:27 PM
    Is the bold a huge difference to the tour on vz? Outside of the trac pad and wifi of course. Just updated my tour to the .975, official upgrade by the way, but seems I have more memory, up to 256mb. So is there any huge difference? Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by more memory, up to 256MB. The Tour is a 256MB device, Bold is 512MB. Other than twice the memory, trackpad and Wi-Fi are the other changes from Tour to Bold.

I had a Tour and upgraded to the Bold, very glad that I did.
    11-27-10 10:51 PM
    Not sure what you mean by more memory, up to 256MB. The Tour is a 256MB device, Bold is 512MB. Other than twice the memory, trackpad and Wi-Fi are the other changes from Tour to Bold.

quick question..

speaking of 512mb memory..on my Bold, when i click alt+shift+h - my bold says i have ~408mb File Total..shouldn't that say 512mb? i'm running 6.0.0.280 if that matters.
    11-27-10 11:23 PM
    Well mine shows 389.5MB on 6.0.0.333 so idk I really don't mind since I came from storm 2 and started with nothing installed at around 130MB!

11-28-10 01:27 AM
    Well mine shows 389.5MB on 6.0.0.333 so idk I really don't mind since I came from storm 2 and started with nothing installed at around 130MB!

I thought about this after I had posted..

could it not be taking into consideration the size of the OS?

512mb - 408mb = 104mb - which should approximately be the size of the OS I'd imagine..

sound about right?
    11-28-10 01:31 AM
    Yea I think your right I just remembered my os said it was 122MB so 512 - 122 = 390 which is pretty darn close!

11-28-10 01:52 AM
    I don't know why I'm having so much difficulty w/ the 9650.

I plug in my old 8900 (OS 6), do device switch in the newest version of BB desktop manager, then switch over to the 9650, and everything transfers over except my contacts.

Also, when I receive SMS text messages, it keeps showing that it was "received one min ago" in the conversation thread even 1-2 hours after I have originally received it. In the main SMS screen, it shows the correct time it was received.

Help?

And lastly, I'm thinking of getting the 2600 mah battery: https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=1pLfkXF5

But if I do, I can't use a case anymore (for example: https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=c3be5wne) right?

thanks for any help
    11-28-10 07:02 AM
    The 2600 mah Seidio battery is great. I used one in my Tour and have one in my 9650. I don't use a case, only the holster. I never run out of juice.

11-28-10 07:58 AM

Thanks for the response. Oh, I been away from the tour for awhile so I forgot that was the MB amount. Anyways, well I still have enough memory, so the bold is not really a difference. Faster browser and webkit, then the bold would be my new toy.

11-28-10 12:44 PM
    quick question..

speaking of 512mb memory..on my Bold, when i click alt+shift+h - my bold says i have ~408mb File Total..shouldn't that say 512mb? i'm running 6.0.0.280 if that matters.
    I believe that the difference is the memory that is reserved to the OS for it to run processes and apps.
    11-28-10 01:02 PM
    I believe that the difference is the memory that is reserved to the OS for it to run processes and apps.
    yeah, thanks..i had realized that after posting..eh, think before post next time.
    11-28-10 01:47 PM
    I'm having so many damn problems with this new BB that I'm just going to completely start anew.

How do I erase everything/reformat so that the phone is like how it was when I first got it?
    11-28-10 11:02 PM
    I'm having so many damn problems with this new BB that I'm just going to completely start anew.

How do I erase everything/reformat so that the phone is like how it was when I first got it?
    well,

do you simply want to wipe all of your data?

or..

wipe EVERYTHING off of the phone, including the operating system? that would be starting really fresh - and would require you to reinstall the OS back onto the phone.
    11-28-10 11:04 PM
    wipe EVERYTHING off the phone, including OS - I can't even get my email to fully work, I receive emails fine, but can't reply/respond (when I open emails, under Received Using, it says "Unknown"). I've sent my service books numerous times, I've "registered" under Host Routing Table, I've deleted and re-added my email accounts, and I'm just done wasting time messing around with this.

So how do I go about doing this? And once I do erase everything, do I just connect the BB to my laptop and have desktop manager install the OS/necessary stuff, etc.?
    11-28-10 11:14 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD