Good day to all you CRACKBERRY FANS!
    Just wanted to get all your opinions about loading the OS6 on your Bold 9700. I've been asking my self if i should load the latest OS6 to my Bold 9700 for days now. I have read allot of good and bad things about it on threads. But it seems like allot of problems etc goes on if you load it. I have a Torch and its been giving me some problems lately (But no biggie) So the main thing is... should i or should i not load the OS6 on my Bold 9700???? One thing is for sure... Our beloved Bold 9000 ain't getting any OS6. hehehe (But still love my Bold 9000).

I'd love to hear all your opinions about this.. Thanks in advance.
    11-26-10 12:08 AM
    Well, there are some opinion threads already existing...

If you don't want to risk being bugged out, stick to OS 5. Bolt and Opera Mini are great companions and render pages fast. The webkit browser doesn't correctly identify mobile websites or display the right font sizes most of the time.

Not all apps are compatible either. Half of mine crash daily. It's a major annoyance, I'm almost ready to downgrade back to 5.0.0.938 again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ench18 and bob110011 like this.
    11-26-10 12:38 AM
    Browsing can be a bit complicated but overall it feels snappier. I am happy with .358
    ench18 likes this.
    11-26-10 12:48 AM
    I didn't have OS6 on my 9700 long before I sold it, but for me it was definitely worth it. I didn't lose memory like I heard or had any battery drain. Battery life was in fact noticeably better. (not that it was lacking to begin with)

My opinion is load os6....since you asked.
    ench18 likes this.
    11-26-10 12:49 AM
    @ Rootbrian: I'm running 5.0.0.938 on my bold 9700 right now since it came out.. haven't had any problems with it.
    11-26-10 01:06 AM
    Hmmmmm.... still thinking. lol
    11-26-10 01:09 AM
    Loading OS 6 onto your Bold 9700 is totally worth it but, Wait for the issues to be fixed
    ench18 likes this.
    11-26-10 01:12 AM
    OS 6 is better, looks better, very fast and snappy, good battery life.

WiFi works well unlike OS 5, as soon as you connect to a WiFi network you are actually connected and the phone automatically sets your browser to utilize the WiFi connection unlike OS 5 where you had to go to options and manually select hotspot browser!

The new webkit browser is a pleasure to work on. a bit faster and the introduction of tabbed browsing is amazing.

There are a few glitches here and there but they are very minor and won't stop you from using your phone..

Glitches to note:

1) When you are in a BBM conversation, and try to select some text, the cursor disappears until you hold the shift button then scroll up and down then only would you see it. So that's easy to overcome.

2) The FLASH in pic will only turn on when taking the first pic, the 2nd pic will have no flash even though you have set the flash to always on. You need to exit the photo application then reopen it.

These 2 issues are minor for me as there is a small work around the first issue which is by holding the shift button to select.

The second issue, well, i rarely take photos so.......even if I did, closing and reopening the camera app will solve it.

I tried goin' to OS 5 for about 30 mins and it was off! It was too plain and shabbby looking. WiFi never connected anymore, always had that grey WiFi icon, and brickbreaker's controls were acting funny.
    ench18 likes this.
    11-26-10 01:18 AM
    @ Ahmed G.: Thanks

@ Matrix Leader: Thanks for the heads up on the tips bud.
    11-26-10 01:24 AM
    I'll try loading OS6 on my Bold 9700 over the weekend. I hope loading the OS doesn't give me any problems. lol. Got anymore advice guys?
    11-26-10 01:28 AM
    I'll try loading OS6 on my Bold 9700 over the weekend. I hope loading the OS doesn't give me any problems. lol. Got anymore advice guys?

Yes, I would wipe the device using BBSAK first, gives u a cleaner install with less errors. Trust me, it makes a big difference although others might disagree, especially with OS 6
    ench18 likes this.
    11-26-10 01:45 AM
    Oh yha! About that... After using BBSAK to wipe out your phone is it ok to load the OS using apploader? Just wanted to be sure.
    11-26-10 02:03 AM
    Oh yha! About that... After using BBSAK to wipe out your phone is it ok to load the OS using apploader? Just wanted to be sure.
    Yes after you wipe it would be ok to use the regular app loader.

Make sure you don't install stuff you don't need

For example, I dont install any of the messengers except BBM, I dont install podcasts or social feeds as I dont need them

and app world is not supported in DUbai so i dont install it
    11-26-10 02:15 AM
    Got it! I too don't use allot of stuff... just pretty much the basics. I'm more of a "theme" kinda guy for my BB's.
    11-26-10 02:25 AM
    I'd say its worth it, I love os6 and I'm never going back to os5 despite the minor leak bugs.. The browser alone sold me, its 5x faster and tabbed browsing makes forums soo much easier..

Everything looks better too.. The icons, the animations, the transitions.. definitely makes the phone feel and look much more modern than os5 by decades.. I've had people ask me if I was running windows 3.1 on os5...

The camera is much more snappier, no more laggy delay times when taking pics, its instant and you can change settings (like macro) without having to hit the bb button then goto options.. And the new media player.. Scrolling album art = sexy

Boot time takes about 40 seconds now.. No more dreading the long down-time after a battery pull so I don't mind resetting the device when I have to.. I find battery life has improved over os5 after the os got worked in..

I'd do it and give it a week, if you don't like it you can always go back..

11-26-10 02:58 AM
    @ rayzian: Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much sold on loading the OS6. Just have allot of work to be done before the weekend.
    11-26-10 03:05 AM
    I'll let you all know the out come on how things go after i load it. Thanks a bunch guys. Really appreciate it!
    11-26-10 03:07 AM
    Can anyone lead me or post a link where i can follow the right instructions to load the OS6. Or is it just the same old procedure to load new OS's?
    11-26-10 03:12 AM
    I would recommend loading the BTHM hybrid for it as well, it's much less buggy and the memory leak is essentially fixed. Definitely the best OS6 experience I've had yet.

11-26-10 05:50 AM
    The newest leak is right on the crackberry site! Is it worth it u ask? Gives the 9700 a brand new refreshed feeling, 100% worth it, I'll never go back to 5.0

11-26-10 05:55 AM
    @ metllicamilitia: i have never used a hybrid before. Only used official and leaked OS but not a hybrid. Wanting to do that too though. But thanks for the heads up!
    11-26-10 06:37 AM
    @ SeanNYC76: Thanks
    11-26-10 06:38 AM
    Got it! I too don't use allot of stuff... just pretty much the basics. I'm more of a "theme" kinda guy for my BB's.
    If you are getting it for themes, don't do it. There are hardly any out as of yet.

Overall an awesome OS, especially liking .358.

Each device seems to be different too. Like Matrix has issues with his camera flash..I have yet to experience that.

I do have other mild, but annoying issues.

I say if you don't want to deal with more Battery pulls than normal, then stay where you are.

Or if you are confident in changing OS's, which IMO is easy, then no reason not to try it out. Good luck!

11-26-10 07:00 AM
    @ BoldtotheMax: Thanks for the insight. I don't think i'll be loading any themes once the OS6 is loaded on to the phone. Thanks!
    11-26-10 09:25 AM
    I downloaded and loaded the new OS and thought everything was fine until I tried to open and use several apps and discovered that the new OS download had wiped out my registration codes so I had to go back to the original receipts and find the key codes. Still finding a few that I'd missed but most are working again. Supposedly, the Blackberry Desktop manager takes a snap of your current settings to incorporate into the new OS, but apparently, it doesn't grab registration info for programs/apps that you've added.

HTH,
    ~Mike in Tampa
    11-26-10 09:31 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD