My contract is almost up ($80 buyout) and my carrier is offering free phones on black friday, so I decided now is the time to go to android for my personal phone. My work phone is still a blackberry. The three android phones that my carrier offers are the Motorola Milestone (Droid), HTC Desire, and HTC WildFire. Which of these phones is the best. I don't really care about physical keyboards, but I do want a good screen and performance. I want a phone, that is a great phone first and will be able to play some apps too, and I don't want a phone that will be outdated as soon as I get it. I don't really know that much about rooting, but I do like to customize things. Another option I have is to wait until after the first of the year, because it is rumored that my carrier will have the Milestone 2, Milestone X, and the LG Axis by that time. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 02:28 PM
    The only one on your list that I am familiar with is the HTC Desire. My best friend just chose it over the Galaxy S(which is one of the newest Android devices). The HTC desire is built like a truck...almost a twin of the Nexus One.

I've played with it a few times and it seems very quick and snappy and the screen looks great, so I vote Desire.

I own a Nexus One
    11-24-10 07:42 PM
    The other devices are the LG Axis, a modified LG ally, the HTC Wildfire, think of it as a smaller Desire with a 500 and something MHz processor, not as good of screen and less memory. and the Motorola Milestone, which is the non-Verizon version of the Motorola Droid. the Motorola Milestone 2 (Droid 2), and Motorola Milestone X (Droid X). Sorry I didn't explain this earlier. Only problem with the Milestone 2 and the Milestone X are i would have to wait till after the first of the year and pay $200 or so for them. Are the newer phones worth the wait or should I just get the HTC Desire for free?
    11-24-10 08:20 PM
    I personally cannot say as the only ones I've played with at all is the Droid X and the HTC Desire. I liked the X but it was a little big for my taste. I liked the HTC Desire the best but that is mainly because I have the Nexus One and they are very similar devices.

I will say this: my best friend paid $220 only a month ago for the HTC Desire after $80 mail in rebate(US Cellular), so getting it for free is almost a no-brainer in my book. He is THRILLED with the Desire even tho he paid so much.

As far as whether the newer devices are worth the wait? Maybe, maybe not...there is really no way to know until they are out and reviewers have a chance to play with them and identify any drawbacks. You'll have to decide if you can live with waiting until the end of the year before upgrading and probably losing the shot at a free Desire.
    Last edited by Marine One; 11-24-10 at 08:41 PM.
    11-24-10 08:37 PM
    Motorola Droid Pro is what I just replaced my BB Tour with just yesterday. Awesome device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-10 06:24 AM
    Just got the Droid Pro...what an awesome device indeed. Make sure you get an extended battery with it though.
    11-25-10 06:48 AM
    The HTC Desire is the best of the the three you listed. The Moto Milestone and HTC Wildfire are entry level Android devices with slower processors and less RAM then the HTC Desire.

I used to have a Tour and just got my Desire a few weeks ago. It's awesome! The only caveat is heavy usage hammers the battery (which I also found with my Tour) and it does use more data (make sure you tweak the sync settings/frequency for apps).

If you're waiting for the "next best fone" then you'll be waiting forever! That game never ends. I did wait a long time for an Android fone that I would be happy with and almost waited longer for the new Nexus S/Nexus 2 but I just couldn't wait any longer! I figure I can always sell mine in a year or two and upgrade

The price you're getting on the Desire can't be beat. You could wait for the Moto Milestone 2 and pay $200 out of your pocket, but why bother?
    11-25-10 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD