- Laggy as ****. I don't delete any sms or emails so I understand it may be slower than without all that stuff, but this is ridiculous.

- I like column view, and os6 doesnt have it. I may be alone here, but column view makes it way easier when reading blogs on such a tiny screen. If I want to see web pages as they were intended to be seen...ill look on a computer.

- they got rid of the classic ringtone (Ringer_ClassicPhone). This is ridiculous. I know I can d/l the cod file and get the old tones, but why should I have to do that to get the tones ive had for the last 5 years.

Anyone else returning theirs?
    11-22-10 01:17 PM
    - Laggy as ****. I don't delete any sms or emails so I understand it may be slower than without all that stuff, but this is ridiculous.

- I like column view, and os6 doesnt have it. I may be alone here, but column view makes it way easier when reading blogs on such a tiny screen. If I want to see web pages as they were intended to be seen...ill look on a computer.

- they got rid of the classic ringtone (Ringer_ClassicPhone). This is ridiculous. I know I can d/l the cod file and get the old tones, but why should I have to do that to get the tones ive had for the last 5 years.

Anyone else returning theirs?
    A brand new OS on a BRAND NEW phone is going to be a little buggy regardless. Have you tried .359? Its a little better. When OS 5 came out it was buggy too. They've had a lot more time to work out the bugs so of course one of the later OS 5 builds will work very smooth.

Yea your not alone on that. I've never used it on my 8900 because I didn't like how it looked but perhaps RIM will throw that back in one of the later builds.

If you search you will find a thread that gets your OS 5 ringtones and notifications back into OS 6. Its quite simple to follow.

Give your 9780 some time and I promise it will get better. Think of it as Windows lol. Vista's first release was awful then got much better as service packs came and addressed bugs and improved stability.
    11-22-10 01:28 PM
    A brand new OS on a BRAND NEW phone is going to be a little buggy regardless. Have you tried .359? Its a little better. When OS 5 came out it was buggy too. They've had a lot more time to work out the bugs so of course one of the later OS 5 builds will work very smooth.

Yea your not alone on that. I've never used it on my 8900 because I didn't like how it looked but perhaps RIM will throw that back in one of the later builds.

If you search you will find a thread that gets your OS 5 ringtones and notifications back into OS 6. Its quite simple to follow.

Give your 9780 some time and I promise it will get better. Think of it as Windows lol. Vista's first release was awful then got much better as service packs came and addressed bugs and improved stability.
    You are right about thinking this as windows. OS5 was like RIM version of xp, and os6 is like the Rim version of Vista, and the great "windows 7" is on his way in the next couple of months.
    11-22-10 01:43 PM
    Good points, but I think im gonna stick "xp" for now.
    11-22-10 01:59 PM
    You are right about thinking this as windows. OS5 was like RIM version of xp, and os6 is like the Rim version of Vista, and the great "windows 7" is on his way in the next couple of months.
    So you think OS 7 is going to be out in a few months? I don't think so. Carriers haven't even officially released an upgrade to 6 for 9xxx users yet.
    11-22-10 02:04 PM
    Good points, but I think im gonna stick "xp" for now.
    You could always pick up the device in 3 or 4 months once its a little more stable.
    11-22-10 02:05 PM
    good point.

on a semi-related note, when I do a battery pull on my 9700 it takes approx 45 mins to come back on (stays stuck on splash screen). I exchanged handsets and it was the same thing. The obvious culprit is the 1000s of emails and sms that I keep on the phone. Surely I cannot be the only one that keeps this much data...does everyone have to wait this long for a restart?

tia
    11-22-10 02:11 PM
    good point.

on a semi-related note, when I do a battery pull on my 9700 it takes approx 45 mins to come back on (stays stuck on splash screen). I exchanged handsets and it was the same thing. The obvious culprit is the 1000s of emails and sms that I keep on the phone. Surely I cannot be the only one that keeps this much data...does everyone have to wait this long for a restart?

tia
    You need to dump this crap. As important as you think it may be to keep a 5 year old SMS, it is not worth slowing the phone down. I and most other 9780 owners are finding their experience quite different than your so . . . . .
    11-22-10 02:18 PM
    ok - but even if i load the alerts/tones, delete data in order to speed it up, the 9780 still doesnt give me column view in the browser which for me is a dealbreaker. Reading blogs/forums is too annoying in the os6 browser.
    11-22-10 02:30 PM
    If I were you, I would return it and keep my eye in this forum as this feature just might be offered soon or a new browser might do it too.

There is nothing wrong with the 9700, it is still a great phone!
    11-22-10 02:56 PM
    You need to dump this crap. As important as you think it may be to keep a 5 year old SMS, it is not worth slowing the phone down. I and most other 9780 owners are finding their experience quite different than your so . . . . .
    besides you can back it up on your computer....
    11-22-10 03:04 PM
    So you think OS 7 is going to be out in a few months? I don't think so. Carriers haven't even officially released an upgrade to 6 for 9xxx users yet.
    yes i do, *its
    11-22-10 03:34 PM
    i think i might be returning mine not to happy
    11-22-10 07:11 PM
    i think i might be returning mine not to happy
    What's there not to like about the phone? I think its an awesome device and a true successor to the 9700. Yes .285 and .359 are not perfect but give it some time. I guarantee 6 months from now this will be one of the top Blackberries.
    11-22-10 07:49 PM
    just have that bad taste .....i had a 8900 prior to this and had tmo sending me a replacement ever week nd now that i got this one i see certain defects but i think im goin to exchange it once nd see wat happens from there
    11-22-10 07:54 PM
    good point.

tia
    do you have a WorldMate application installed in your device?
    if yes, thats the one that makes restart time that long, also disable Memory Cleaner and you will shorten restart time dramatically.
    11-22-10 09:49 PM
    i had this unit as an engineering unit then got a torch and now back to the retail of this unit with the 6.0.0.359 and it runs great. way better than 9700 does on os5 or os6. the extra memory makes a big difference.
    look at he torch with its original os. was crap, buggy, laggy, touch screen sucked... 3 leaks later and its all cleaned up and running great. same for this unit. few more leaks and it will be running very smooth.
    11-22-10 10:03 PM
    Wow! So much to say... Lol!

If you change your phone out every week with your carrier at what point does it become operator error?? Lol!

9780 IS the successor to the 9700. If you go back to the 9700, you WILL eventually go to OS6 or lose your Berry experience. RIM drew a line, decide what side you wanna be on. Hint; the future is on the 9780 and OS6 side! ;-)

And as always, like with all berries, it gets better with age and experience. ;-)

*not flaming the OP, just having some fun reading. Thanks guys!*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    r0me08 likes this.
    11-22-10 11:54 PM
    do you have a WorldMate application installed in your device?
    if yes, thats the one that makes restart time that long, also disable Memory Cleaner and you will shorten restart time dramatically.
    I do not have a worldmate app, but I will try disabling Memory Cleaner and will see what happens...thanks!
    11-23-10 11:55 AM
    Wow! So much to say... Lol!

If you change your phone out every week with your carrier at what point does it become operator error?? Lol!

9780 IS the successor to the 9700. If you go back to the 9700, you WILL eventually go to OS6 or lose your Berry experience. RIM drew a line, decide what side you wanna be on. Hint; the future is on the 9780 and OS6 side! ;-)

And as always, like with all berries, it gets better with age and experience. ;-)
    Matt-

totally understood. I was counting the days until the 9780 came out and was the first at the store in the morning. But I was very surprised to find things like the loss of ringtones -- it reminded me of when I used to only buy nokias...and successor models would be missing key features their predecessors had. Thats why I switched to BB, they never did things like that. Now, with the 9780, I cannot have the same browser experience I have with the 9700. And there are missing ringtones. Until an OS6 firmware upgrade fixes these things, Im sticking with the 9700 and os5.
    inb4 "yea but you can add the ringtones to the 9780". I understand that, but they should be there out of the box. I have been using the same ringtone since my bb 7230. And now they leave it out? Arrgh...
    11-23-10 12:03 PM
    Threads like these are laughable. There is at least one every time a new device comes out.

OS5 is rocking on all devices now after what ~1000 compiles? OS6 is getting better with every release and so far we are about to crack 400 compiles...

Seems some have not done the research. OS6 is OS6. Cruise the Torch forums.
    11-23-10 09:55 PM
    The reason column view is not there is the zoom feature auto column views for you. I just found this myself but if you zoom on a table in a website it will zoom to that table width or if it is to wide will go into a column view style. It is still a little buggy but pretty cool once you figure it out.

11-24-10 02:39 AM
    Not sure that works for a blog like this site. In any case a real pain to have to keep doing that.

11-24-10 09:02 AM
    Matt-

totally understood. I was counting the days until the 9780 came out and was the first at the store in the morning. But I was very surprised to find things like the loss of ringtones -- it reminded me of when I used to only buy nokias...and successor models would be missing key features their predecessors had. Thats why I switched to BB, they never did things like that. Now, with the 9780, I cannot have the same browser experience I have with the 9700. And there are missing ringtones. Until an OS6 firmware upgrade fixes these things, Im sticking with the 9700 and os5.
    inb4 "yea but you can add the ringtones to the 9780". I understand that, but they should be there out of the box. I have been using the same ringtone since my bb 7230. And now they leave it out? Arrgh...

Double Understood. If the reasons you move to a platform are compromised as it grows I could see how that could / would be a major turn off. I guess I'm just mad i cant go back and forth because i gave my Mom my 9700... Damn!
    11-24-10 09:24 AM
    I have to agree that the absence of Column View is increasingly annoying as each day goes by. It's a week now since I got the 9780. I find that I have patience to wait for other little glitches to be fixed, but this browser issue feels like a major step backward in functionality. Moreover, we don't really have any idea whether it will be restored. We assume that OS bugs will be fixed in future releases, but this isn't a bug; it's a missing feature. We don't know whether RIM has any intention of restoring it.

Ubizmo
    11-24-10 09:24 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD