Hey guys, I just picked up the 9780 a few days ago and am noticing an issue when typing. Is anybody else experiencing duplicate letters while typing? First I thought I was typing too quickly, so I slowed it down but am still noticing the issue. Also, this is the second 9780 I have had that this has happened on. I'm not sure if its something related to the software (I'm currently on .285) or if its a hardware issue where the key's are actually sticking. Let me know if you are experiencing the same thing.
    11-20-10 05:03 PM
    I havent heard much about this being an issue - however, someone posted in this same forum 3-4 days ago in regards to having the same issue.

So, I dont think your alone.
    11-20-10 05:11 PM
    I'm having the same problem! I picked up 2 on Wednesday a black and a white. 9780 white one is Flawless! But my Blackone double types and has the dipping trackpad problem. Gonna return it on monday for another one I did notice that the white was made in mexico1 and the black mexico 4 I remember reading a thread a while ago with the torch having quality issues depending on where it was made even the little black thing below the keypad wiggles!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-10 10:22 PM
    I'm on .285 too and experienced the same problem.
    Hope it's not hardware
    11-22-10 11:00 AM
    My keypad was a bit stiff and sticky when I first got the device, but it soon freed up with use.

Have you guys having problems tried slowing the keyboard rate down, to see if that helps?

Options > Typing and Input > Keyboard > Keyboard Rate = Medium Slow

11-22-10 11:25 AM
    Having the same double letters when typing. I changed the keyboard rate, and still having same issue. Will I have to wait for an OS upgrade?
    11-22-10 12:13 PM
    Still had the issue.Mine occurs not very often but its very annoying.
    I'm waiting for the new firmware.
    11-22-10 12:29 PM
    if this is happening because built quality is poor then i don't think new firmware is going to fix this.

who knows. mine had same problem and it was Mexico 01

so yeah.
    11-22-10 01:33 PM
    This is hardware problem and has to go through warranty.
    Firmware will not fix this. Verified with RIM.

Mine is from Bell. Mexico 01.

Can you guys let me know which provider and where was it made? so I can avoid.
    11-22-10 05:24 PM
    Having the same double letters when typing. I changed the keyboard rate, and still having same issue. Will I have to wait for an OS upgrade?
    No. This is definitely not an issue with the OS, return the phone ASAP and get yourself a new device!
    11-22-10 05:53 PM
    This is hardware problem and has to go through warranty.
    Firmware will not fix this. Verified with RIM.

Mine is from Bell. Mexico 01.

Can you guys let me know which provider and where was it made? so I can avoid.
    I dont think the provider will make a difference, and I am pretty certain, all Berry's in North America are made in Mexico.

Since this issue came up - I have read about people having issues on T-Mobile and Rogers. So I dont think that will make a difference
    11-22-10 05:55 PM
    mine has been doing the same thing.... thought i was going a lil crazy im returning mine tomorrow hope i dont have anymore issues
    11-22-10 06:29 PM
    I got my 9780 the other day, and it sometimes does the same double letter typing, or other times with use an accented version of the letter without me trying to use it (like � instead of n)... it's sort of annoying but it doesn't happen all the time.
    11-22-10 07:43 PM
    mine does it quite frequently with the a button only. Don't notice any abnormality when pressing the key. Getting a bit annoying
    11-22-10 08:53 PM
    I may have a little bit of insight for you guys. I have a torch 9800 (switching to the 9780 ASAP) and I have been installing the leaked os's as soon as they come out. One of the os leaks that I installed had an issue with the universal search (I didn't notice it in any other applications, but it was a sporadic issue and only happened sometimes). Anyways, the issue was that whenever I would try to search for something using universal search the letters would double type. Example: pressing "e" no mattter or hard or soft would show up as "ee". As with any other letter as well.
    This issue was fixed in the following os update. There was lots of the same talk on the 9800 forum similar to this about it being hardware vs. Software issues.

I don't know for sure that this is the same problem, but I'm tryin to help. Some people had the issue, and others didn't (even when on the same os version). I think a smart way to try and look at this is if its restricted to only one letter and its all the time then it seems hardware related, but if its with any letter and only happens sometimes then its possible that it may be software related. Hopefully there will be a leak soon for non-touch devices that will solve any debates about this issue!

AirSupply likes this.
    11-23-10 02:46 PM
    So far I notice I got a problem with the letters "o" ,"h","e" and spacebar.
    It's hard to produce the problem.
    11-23-10 08:41 PM
    I have the same problem with my black 9780, but I do agree with jfiore theory about the software issue. Because this issue happened with all the letters on my keyboard, I do think that should be related to the OS bug or something.
    11-23-10 08:42 PM
    I posted this problem on RIM forum page, and it has been verified that it's a hardware problem.

If a firmware update can fix this somehow, that would be nice.
    11-23-10 10:02 PM
    Anyone tried updating to OS 6.0.0.359?

Anyone can confirmed if that fixed by any chance?
    11-23-10 10:26 PM
    I tried but my phone got "brick", and I have to go back to the original OS
    11-23-10 10:36 PM
    Anyone tried updating to OS 6.0.0.359?

Anyone can confirmed if that fixed by any chance?
    .359 does not fix the problem unfortunately.

If this is covered under warranty, will they fix or replace the phone? I don't really want to get another refurbished 9780 that may or may not have a problem. If they fix the one I have, i'd be ok with that. However, I'm still surprised this would be hardware and not software as there are multiple keys.
    11-24-10 10:08 AM
    I have the same problem on a T-Mobile USA 9780. Made in mexico 01.

Noticed off the bat that the keyboard felt a lot "softer" than my 9700 which was odd, since my 9700 was over a year old.

Could not fix the problem, searched and found this.

I guess beware of mexico 01.

Having t-mobile send me another. Hopefully everything is perfect!
    12-15-10 01:25 AM
    Same issue, .285

Please keep us posted if anyone has a revalation. Thanks.

Last edited by rcr682k2; 02-01-11 at 07:10 PM.
    02-01-11 07:08 PM
    Mine is Mexico 4 and I'm experiencing the same problems.
    02-01-11 09:15 PM
    Mexico 4 here as well got the stuttering problem.
    02-01-11 10:04 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD