So after getting to see this little hands on video with the new Motorola Pro, I can see a few people picking this over the Tour and Storm 2....... for now easily on Verizon.
    Do you guys agree and I mean the blackberry lovers.
    11-20-10 02:18 PM
    I would rather get the Droid Pro over any BB currently out. I take that back. I would take ANY new release Android device over any BB currently out and any future BB that will be released with OS 6.
    Username00089 and paa79594 like this.
    11-20-10 02:58 PM
    That Motorola pro is a gem
    11-20-10 04:55 PM
    Ill stick with my blackberry. Android is not for me i have a fascinate and a bb and i much prefer the bb. I think the droid pro looks nice, but i have heard from numerous people that its not a very good phone. I have heard the keyboard is no where near as nice as bb and the camera is absolutely horrible. It looks nice but ill stick with my bold.
    11-20-10 08:11 PM
    Huh? They literally took the keyboard off blackberry, and changed a few keys to avoid being sued, and you have to be used to a horrible camera by now you have a blackberry. If you have a preference by all means I understand but don't say things like that without some proof. Where did you hear this stuff? Just some random friends?
    11-20-10 08:18 PM
    no ive actually used the keyboard and it is by no means a blackberry keyboard. The keys are very mushy compared to a blackberry and while it looks the same as a bb keyboard its layout is slightly different which makes it hard to use. Im sure one would get used to it but coming from a bold its very hard to use. i really hate the top row number keys, that part of the keyboard is very awful.
    As far as the camera i have never used it in person, but i have seen a side by side comparison pic of the exact same thing taken at the exact same time with a droid pro and a bb bold and even though the bolds camera has less mp's its pics were by far superior. The droid pros pic were VERY blurry and looked like there was plastic over the lens. The pic got better if you increased the shutter speed, but didnt come close to the quality of the bolds pic until the shutter speed was delayed ten seconds. Only then did the pic look clear.
    11-20-10 08:34 PM
    Huh? They literally took the keyboard off blackberry, and changed a few keys to avoid being sued...
    Is there any proof that Motorola didn't pay RIM to use their (or really similar to theirs) keyboard?
    11-20-10 08:48 PM
    rryoung, why isn't Android for you?
    11-20-10 09:20 PM
    After seeing this Blackberry may have some competition.
    LOL Blackberry is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel as it is now. They have a long way to go to catch up.
    11-20-10 09:28 PM
    rryoung, why isn't Android for you?
    Is a answer/explaination really needed? If someone doesn't like something why do they have to explain themselves?
    11-20-10 09:55 PM
    The only thin RIM has a patten for right now is crap craftsmanship. I love my old BB's but man they are in a sinking ship right now.
    11-20-10 09:56 PM
    Is a answer/explaination really needed? If someone doesn't like something why do they have to explain themselves?
    I just want to know, that's all. If he doesn't want to answer my question, he doesn't have to answer it. I'm just interested in what drives a person's decision making - whether it's out of sheer bias, or not. Is that so wrong?
    11-20-10 09:59 PM
    So after getting to see this little hands on video with the new Motorola Pro, I can see a few people picking this over the Tour and Storm 2....... for now easily on Verizon.
    Do you guys agree and I mean the blackberry lovers.
    Highly doubt it. BB is and always has been focused on secure business use. Android has a long way to go, to secure that spot.

It's also one of the reasons that there is no NetFlix, for Android...

BB never was a consumer phone. They just wanted to move that way. They failed. Hence, all the wannabe BB users jumping ship to Android.

BTW, this thread was done a few times already.
    11-20-10 10:07 PM
    I just want to know, that's all. If he doesn't want to answer my question, he doesn't have to answer it. I'm just interested in what drives a person's decision making - whether it's out of sheer bias, or not. Is that so wrong?
    It is not wrong, but why when a person says something bad about Android or they say "it's not for them", people wanna know why.

All I'm saying is........does it really matter?

It's their choice. Just like it was yours and mine and everyone elses choice to get an Android phone. It's theirs not to get one.
    11-20-10 10:13 PM
    You're right, it doesn't matter, nor should it.
    11-20-10 10:23 PM
    Spec wise, there are better android phones out there. One of the beauties of a droid is it's screen. Shrinking it for a physical keyboard seem a shame. I understand that having the keyboard and look of a bb will attract some, but the virtual keyboards (notice that word is plural as there are many different keyboards available to all droid devices) are awesome. It's just like every other thing in the world that is different...you just have to get used to it. The only thing the Pro has going for it (IMO), is the worldwide connectivity. I guess that might matter to the tiny percentage of people that travel the world with any regularity.
    11-21-10 12:06 PM
    Interesting how world travelers sometimes get phones locally because plans are cheaper

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-10 12:36 PM
    Interesting how world travelers sometimes get phones locally because plans are cheaper

I suspect on a world phone whether it be a BB or Android global device (which have GSM capabilities as well as CDMA) that buying a different phone as well as a SIM card would be more costly than just buying a local SIM card, but I could be mistaken.

Furthermore I am always curious when people say "Android isn't for me" what their reasons are too. Knowing the answer to that is also helpful to the plethora of BB users who are considering Android.
    11-21-10 01:40 PM
    My mom told me that, when she went to the philippines. They brought their magic jack for the ride, and that was more financially feasible. I think you're right about just popping in a local sim.

As I contemplate whether or not to pursue a teaching job in Korea, I'm thinking of whether or not to unlock my Droid, or pick up a local phone. I've perused sites about services in Korea to get a phone authenticated.
    11-21-10 02:01 PM
    I love blackberry - I still think they're the best devices for business use. One thing though a lotta people who wanted to try out droid but needed a global phone had to go with a bb bold or storm2 because android would only work on wifi (skype) for overseas. Now that the droid pro can be used internationally with a simcard its going to further cut into bb's already shrinking marketshare. I've played with the Droid pro in the store and yeah it seems like motorola ripped off the bold keyboard.

11-21-10 08:58 PM
    Interesting device. It's a shot across the bow.
    11-21-10 10:42 PM
    As a BB Tour user, I am interested in the Droid Pro. My first impressions when playing with it in the store were that I didn't like the numeric key layout and I felt the screen resolution wasn't as good as other Android devices. Fits comfortable in hand. I wouldn't want to rely on that keyboard to make calls though. For those of us that are very comfortable using physical keyboards, we may not want to give up the hard keyboard completely. I think the Droid Pro offers a nice compromise. It provides the all-in-one package that a typical BlackBerry has and it does offer a nice screen with Android OS. Supposedly it has some business end features, but I am not up to speed on what they are. It was designed for the business user, but whether it's as good for the business user as a BlackBerry, I couldn't say. But, I am seeing a lot of articles in the blogging world where major business are testing out the Android and iPhone devices for their internal IT where once RIM dominated the scene. So, BlackBerry may still have the lead in the corporate market, but how long they can keep that lead is a good question.

Android appears to be the flavor of the season. I think it's way too early to count BlackBerry out, especially with the upcoming QNX OS. But, I do think the Droid Pro is going to be attractive to those BB users that want to try Android without giving up the convenience of a BB keyboard. I love the BB Tour form, where the phone fits in my hand, I don't have to slide out a keyboard, so the Pro does have it benefits. It just seems to me that there had to a be a trade-off.. you get physical keyboard on front, but you lose screen resolution. I got to play with it some more but I am definitely interested in it.

My NE2 is in March 2011, so I am patiently waiting to see if Verizon does finally get the iPhone and whether BlackBerry will come out with a Storm model that can compete with the cool phones out there on Android. I love BlackBerry, so I am not anxious to quit on the brand, but I don't like how new models get hyped to hilt, then come out and fail to live up to expectations. (Or maybe that's just the Crackberrian's perspective! )
    11-22-10 02:49 AM
    but I don't like how new models get hyped to hilt, then come out and fail to live up to expectations. (Or maybe that's just the Crackberrian's perspective! )
    That's what happens when you get a new device with hardware that was good 2 years ago and isn't relevant today. I never understood why BB fans hype up the devices. Nothing changes. Maybe a memory and camera MP increase but that's IT, and it's totally unacceptable at this point.
    11-22-10 12:41 PM
    As a crackberry addict, had the Tour for almost two years, I will admit that I as of late became VERY bored with the web browsing. My job stop allowing company email to go to our blackberry one of the main reasons for me sticking with BB.
    So I made the leap and bought the Droid on Sunday.. all I can say is WOW... and I am still learning about the phone, Im still in awe that I can watch videos such as you tube videos, and the web browsing is like having a laptop in your pocket! Yes the keyboard is hard to get used to slightly smaller than the Tour, but anything new takes time getting used to, I went from the LG ENV(old big original one) to Tour and remember thinking the keyboard was horribly small and almost returned it! HA!
    I am not putting down on BB, I was eyeing the Pro even before it came out and was SO torn, didnt want to leave BB so it was between the Bold and Pro and this is the right choice for me.
    the Pro does have a Calendar feature (I am yet to use it) still playing with all the other stuff..
    Maybe BB will come out with something better( I really want awesome web browsing) in a few years and will go back to BB but until then will love playing with my DROID PRO...

Former Blackberry addict ; )
    Last edited by jany1025; 11-23-10 at 05:30 AM.
    11-23-10 05:28 AM
    I think that if I were with Verizon, I'd give the Droid Pro a try. I do have a strong preference for the candy-bar qwerty design, which is why I now have a BB 9780. With T-Mobile my only similar Android option would be the Moto Charm. I like the form of the Charm, but the screen is terrible. I've learned over the years that screen and keyboard are "where the rubber meets the road" and quality counts. The 9780 screen isn't large but it's clear and sharp as crystal.

I don't understand the point about YouTube videos. I watched them all the time on my BB 8900 and continue to do so on the 9780.

@avt123 "Maybe a memory and camera MP increase but that's IT, and it's totally unacceptable at this point." This is why these discussions go downhill so fast. Acceptability is a matter of personal preference, nothing more. The BB 9780 is simply a modest upgrade of an already successful device. It's perfectly acceptable to me and other people who like the Bold design and functionality.

I think the Droid Pro is a breakthrough design for Motorola. I'm sure it's not identical in look and feel to a BlackBerry, and it doesn't need to be. Moto was smart enough to realize that there is a market for a BB-like Android device. I think there are many BB users who would like a larger screen, but who don't like the SurePress or slider keyboards. I think a BB that's somewhere in the Charm-Pro size range will do very very well, if RIM every makes one.

Ubizmo
    11-23-10 07:13 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD