Hello,
    I am going to buy a BB with a data plan for AT&T. It is $15/month with 200mb of data usage. I have a few questions about this. How much data does BBM use? On average, do you think this is enough? Thanks
    11-18-10 07:41 PM
    I will use 200MB in a couple hours, no joke. I really don't keep track of what services use data more then others and what not.

Thnx, �Tripster�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-10 07:53 PM
    I'm actually amazed they have a 200meg plan. Absolutely useless
    11-18-10 07:56 PM
    Well I mainly plan on using for BBM and AIM, hardly surfing the web. I dont know if 200mb is enough though since I don't know how much data each BBM uses.
    11-18-10 07:57 PM
    Well I mainly plan on using for BBM and AIM, hardly surfing the web. I dont know if 200mb is enough though since I don't know how much data each BBM uses.
    Just sending and receiving messages does not use much data at all. If you plan to share a lot of pictures, music, and videos, 200MB might not be sufficient.

The things that really use a lot of data are streaming audio such as listening to Pandora radio. I can easily use 100MB in one day just by streaming Pandora.
    ajczdabomb and Reed McLay like this.
    11-18-10 08:01 PM
    Plan for the future.
    11-18-10 08:03 PM
    Omg i was just about to make an topic and saw this one! *hijack*
    Here i goes////
    Hi, guys, i'm new to this smartphone business, and today i just got an blackberry torch 9800.
    I'm wondering if its true that "if" i plug my sim into this babe, i will be automatically be charged for a data plan? if so, would i able to get rid off this plan? (i want to use wifi alone), or is there an way to prevent this from happen even before i plug in my sim?
    Thanks
    Yes, they will add the data plan, the most expensive one too. Att will know what phone you have when it connects to the network. It might take a day or two, but it will definitely happen.

For people that are connected to wifi most of their day it's not useless.
    ajczdabomb likes this.
    11-18-10 08:04 PM
    So basically if I dont stream music/videos (I have a 4gb memory card for self entertainment) and use only BBM, aim, and rarely surf the web, 200 mb would be enough? I heard that blackberry compresses data usage, could someone explain this to me?
    11-18-10 08:11 PM
    Yes, they will add the data plan, the most expensive one too. Att will know what phone you have when it connects to the network. It might take a day or two, but it will definitely happen.
    Hi, when you said network, does that mean the atnt network, or the 3g network?
    Would i able to: turn on my phone, unchecked the 3g service, check the wifi, Then insert my sim?
    Thanks
    11-18-10 08:12 PM
    Don't hijack someone else's thread. It's not polite.

But the answer is that as soon as you connect to the AT&T network, they will know.

There's no workaround.
    ajczdabomb likes this.
    11-18-10 08:18 PM
    I have the unlimited plan although I could get away with the 200 MB plan. If your device has wifi and you are primarily in wifi coverage you may not use as much data as you think. If you plan on streaming anything at all over cell net than 200 is not enough.

I think att will automatically bump you up to the next plan if you go over so even if you do creep at least you won't get slammed with per byte overage charges.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ajczdabomb likes this.
    11-18-10 08:27 PM
    So basically if I dont stream music/videos (I have a 4gb memory card for self entertainment) and use only BBM, aim, and rarely surf the web, 200 mb would be enough? I heard that blackberry compresses data usage, could someone explain this to me?
    The type of data that is compressed is data that uses RIM's servers, like BBM, AIM, emails.

Streaming audio/video is not compressed.

If you do not do any streaming and do not share large files using BBM or IM apps like AIM, you should not exceed 200MB.
    ajczdabomb and Reed McLay like this.
    11-18-10 08:32 PM
    The type of data that is compressed is data that uses RIM's servers, like BBM, AIM, emails.

Streaming audio/video is not compressed.

If you do not do any streaming and do not share large files using BBM or IM apps like AIM, you should not exceed 200MB.
    So if its compressed and it's small to begin with, could you give me an estimate on how much kb/data it would take up?
    11-18-10 08:34 PM
    So if its compressed and it's small to begin with, could you give me an estimate on how much kb/data it would take up?
    Not really...

How many messages do you send? How long are these messages that you send? A paragraph? Two words? You'll most likely be fine, but there's really no way to estimate without doing it yourself first.
    ajczdabomb likes this.
    11-18-10 08:40 PM
    thanked the people who helped on this thread. thanks.
    11-18-10 08:48 PM
    Some people can get away with the 200 meg plan. Some can't. (I can). Best advice to give you is to start with the 200 meg plan and watch your usage. If it looks like you need more data, switch to the higher plan. You will get notice when you go over.
    11-19-10 05:53 PM
    if you dont use your phone to watch youtube and stream radio, 200mb is more than enough!!!.
    11-20-10 02:35 AM
    Hello,
    I am going to buy a BB with a data plan for AT&T. It is $15/month with 200mb of data usage. I have a few questions about this. How much data does BBM use? On average, do you think this is enough? Thanks
    Is this your first BB? I just bought my first one a year ago and have found I am using it more and more. Watch your data use. I'm sure they will let you upgrade at any time.
    11-20-10 08:39 AM
    There is a data calculator on the AT&T site that may help you. After answering some questions about your usage it will give you an estimate of how much data you "may" use.
    11-20-10 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD