I got the 9780 yesterday, after using a Curve (8320 and 8900) for almost three years.

My impression of BB6 is generally positive, but there are a few things that need fixing. I know that some of these have been mentioned in other threads.

1. The tray system needs to be more customizable. I really don't need "Frequent" and "Downloads", nor do I need to scroll past them to get to something else. I'd be happy with just "All" and "Favorites".

I know that themes, when they come, will provide alternatives.

2. I actually like to see wallpapers. They make a strong aesthetic difference. BB6 has a wider darkened band at the top to show time, etc, and and additional band for Search, Notifications, and Profiles. I don't like this. With icon rows set to zero, I have a less busy home screen, but the bright blue that's used to show which area of the screen is active is distracting. Hopefully we will see some minimalist themes soon.

3. The browser is disappointing, with the loss of column view, and the inability to zoom in certain mobile sites. In mobile YouTube, for example, you can't zoom to read the tiny text. This is bad.

4. In email options, there's the option to select whether the mail from a given account appears in the main Messages folder. This would be great if it worked, but it doesn't. I have several email accounts, and one of them gets a fair amount of spam, and only the occasional real mail. I'd love to let the mail on that account just pile up in a separate folder where I could check it and clear it out every few days. But this feature doesn't work. Checked or unchecked, the mail from all accounts goes into the main Messages folder.

Ubizmo
    11-18-10 07:07 AM
    If you hold the alt key down and use the trackpad you should be able to zoom in on the mobile sights. The email issue is definitely odd.

When i say "use the trackpad" I mean scroll up to zoom in and down to zoom out (while the alt key is pressed).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by D_March; 11-18-10 at 07:34 AM.
    11-18-10 07:31 AM
    I'm finding that when 'I' and 'O' don't work, alt-trackpad doesn't either. Neither work on the mobile YouTube site. Both work here.

Ubizzmo

11-18-10 10:36 AM
    just tried both methods on the mobile youtube site and can confirm both are working for me although im using a 9700
    11-18-10 11:10 AM
    just tried both methods on the mobile youtube site and can confirm both are working for me although im using a 9700
    Thanks for checking. Both are definitely not working on my 9780, so maybe it's a device issue rather than a BB6 issue.

Ubizmo
    11-18-10 11:17 AM
    Using the built-in YouTube app for OS6 or the m.youtube.com site direct, I can confirm there is NO zoom option on the 9780...
    I and O don't work, neither does alt+trackpad
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 11-18-10 at 11:34 AM.
    11-18-10 11:21 AM
    Using the built-in YouTube app for OS6 or the m.youtube.com site direct, I can confirm there is NO zoom option on the 9780...
    I and O don't work, neither does alt+trackpad
    As you pointed out elsewhere, the "app" is primarily a shortcut that opens the browser to the mobile YouTube site. Although it's theoretically possible that there's something else in the app that disables zoom, I can confirm that the problem persists when I use the browser and navigate directly.

That type is too small for my old eyes.

Ubizmo
    11-18-10 11:38 AM
    Maybe it's a glitch in the latest OS 6 for the 9780. I can zoom youtube mobile as well on my 9700.
    11-18-10 11:46 AM
    Zoom works for me. 9300, OS6.
    11-18-10 03:47 PM
    Zoom works for me. 9300, OS6.
    Zoom works fine for us too. 9780, OS6... just not for Youtube for some strange reason
    11-18-10 04:06 PM
    I've noticed another zoom quirk, however. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, pressing 'I' causes a triple zoom, and I have to use 'O' to back out once or twice.

Ubizmo

11-18-10 05:18 PM
    Have anyone of you tried going into options in your browser and then clicking enable keyboard shortcuts? I can confirm I and O are working after clicking that box.
    11-18-10 06:12 PM
    Have anyone of you tried going into options in your browser and then clicking enable keyboard shortcuts? I can confirm I and O are working after clicking that box.
    Yup, that works fine on every other site... but not on m.youtube.com
    11-18-10 06:14 PM
    Yeah wow this sucks, how about the non-mobile site?
    11-18-10 06:28 PM
    And other browser shortcuts work fine.

When I first posted, I had the idea that one or two other sites were unzoomable, but I went back through the browser history and checked, and it's only m.youtube.com.

Can anyone else confirm the email quirk/bug (from the first post in the thread)?

Ubizmo
    11-18-10 06:29 PM
    I just checked my browser and where I used to have different options for the browser such as firefox, or blackberry, I no longer can find those - could it be the settings there? Not sure where I saw those setting now that I try to find them again...

I went to m.youtube.com on my new bb9780 and I can read the text - it seems to be the same size as other web pages, although can't zoom either.

My email does get filtered - i like this option so now i can have separate folders for different accounts. I can confirm that the emails are not going into the main folder when I de-selected them so for me it seems to be working right.

I agree on the sliding screens on the home - don't need the downloads and others - "All" would be just fine.
    Last edited by hubcrackberry; 11-18-10 at 06:45 PM.
    ubizmo likes this.
    11-18-10 06:40 PM
    I just checked my browser and where I used to have different options for the browser such as firefox, or blackberry, I no longer can find those - could it be the settings there? Not sure where I saw those setting now that I try to find them again...
    Those options aren't available in OS6
    11-18-10 06:45 PM
    I got the 9780 yesterday, after using a Curve (8320 and 8900) for almost three years.

My impression of BB6 is generally positive, but there are a few things that need fixing. I know that some of these have been mentioned in other threads.

1. The tray system needs to be more customizable. I really don't need "Frequent" and "Downloads", nor do I need to scroll past them to get to something else. I'd be happy with just "All" and "Favorites".

I know that themes, when they come, will provide alternatives.

2. I actually like to see wallpapers. They make a strong aesthetic difference. BB6 has a wider darkened band at the top to show time, etc, and and additional band for Search, Notifications, and Profiles. I don't like this. With icon rows set to zero, I have a less busy home screen, but the bright blue that's used to show which area of the screen is active is distracting. Hopefully we will see some minimalist themes soon.

3. The browser is disappointing, with the loss of column view, and the inability to zoom in certain mobile sites. In mobile YouTube, for example, you can't zoom to read the tiny text. This is bad.

4. In email options, there's the option to select whether the mail from a given account appears in the main Messages folder. This would be great if it worked, but it doesn't. I have several email accounts, and one of them gets a fair amount of spam, and only the occasional real mail. I'd love to let the mail on that account just pile up in a separate folder where I could check it and clear it out every few days. But this feature doesn't work. Checked or unchecked, the mail from all accounts goes into the main Messages folder.

Ubizmo
    I TOTALLY agree with #1. I don't see the point of Downloads and Media. I liked having the folder system on OS 5.0 and having all tiles come up by pressing the BB menu. I'm looking forward to themes being made for the 9780 OS 6.0.

I'm a pretty big fan of the browser. Excited to see how 6.0 advances...
    11-18-10 09:53 PM
    Another quirk:

In Media>Pictures, the option to move photos from one folder to another is no longer present in the BB menu or, for that matter, in Explore. The exception is Camera Pictures, where I get a "Move to Folder" option. But once I move a photo from Camera Pictures into a folder, there's no way to move it to another folder.

Another minor quirk: There doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of the Wallpapers folder, although it doesn't even appear in Explore.

Ubizmo
    Last edited by ubizmo; 11-19-10 at 11:56 AM.
    11-19-10 07:42 AM
    Another quirk:

In Media>Pictures, the option to move photos from one folder to another is no longer present in the BB menu or, for that matter, in Explore. The exception is Camera Pictures, where I get a "Move to Folder" option. But once I move a photo from Camera Pictures into another folder, there's no way to move it to another folder.

Another minor quirk: There doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of the Wallpapers folder, although it doesn't even appear in Explore.

Ubizmo
    Although the 'Move to Folder' option from OS5 has gone, there's still the 'Cut, Copy and Paste' options in thumbnail view, that do the same job just as well.

As for the Wallpaper Folder, that seems to be hard-coded into the device and unremovable. It doesn't even show up in FileScout either.

11-19-10 09:07 AM
    Although the 'Move to Folder' option from OS5 has gone, there's still the 'Cut, Copy and Paste' options in thumbnail view, that do the same job just as well.
    "Cut" is also a bit quirky. When I Cut a photo from a folder, it doesn't disappear from that folder until I Paste it into another folder.

It's not possible to Paste anything into the permanent Wallpapers folder.

Ubizmo
    11-19-10 09:26 AM
    My email does get filtered - i like this option so now i can have separate folders for different accounts. I can confirm that the emails are not going into the main folder when I de-selected them so for me it seems to be working right.
    Hmm...I wonder why mine doesn't work. Thanks for the confirmation of that. Do the de-selected accounts still appear in the Home screen notifications?

EDIT: For some reason, it's now working! I have no idea what was wrong before.

Ubizmo
    Last edited by ubizmo; 11-19-10 at 12:09 PM. Reason: the world changed
    11-19-10 12:00 PM
    Maybe you've figured this out but I found that when you double click the menu button it will maximize or minimize the home screens. Where sometimes it is a pain to scroll back up to the "all" or "media" buttons to click there to make it max or min - double clicking the menu button is a bit easier.

Let me know if you guys knew that or if you like that feature - I would be curious to see how others like or don't like it.

On another note - anyone know a good substitute for Pandora for streaming music while Pandora for os6 is being updated?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    11-30-10 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD