RIM posts PlayBook vs. iPad video, shows Flash slowdowns | Electronista

i got a kick out of this ...some noteworthy quote

"The user testing the iPad is also inexperienced as he types out ".com" by hand, making a comparison test seem slower"

all i have to say is - why can't the person writing the article say "cool a mobile device that renders flash sites seemlessly. I wonder what apple will do to counteract this?"

anyways- go rim for posting that video.
    11-16-10 10:30 AM
    I guess they didn't notice that last page with the circles moving around... Who's got lag?

"Flash is dead" says a comment below the article. Tell that to the SkyFire Browser folks who got their servers crushed by iFans wanting Flash...
    11-16-10 10:50 AM
    Seems it didn't matter how he got the .com on there.. he hit the Enter key at the same time on both devices.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    11-16-10 11:13 AM
    Lol..man them fanbois really crack me up. "I suspect RIM had the pages cached" and "it's a biased test". "Steve says.." Good god. They can't even pull Steve's ballsack out of their mouths long enough to make intelligent arguments.
    11-16-10 11:46 AM
    lol. i like the "it was optomized to beat the ipad" anyways.

One thought i did have - was...if this is pre-production now with the dual core processor...in 6 months when its released or 4...won't there be a stronger processor out there?

Will they put in a stronger chip?
    11-16-10 11:59 AM
    Name me any group more insufferable than Apple fanbois. I defy anyone.

Steve (Herr) Jobs is a tool, and his customers are his minions. They all disgust me with their superior attitude and condescending remarks re anything not Apple.
    11-16-10 12:09 PM

Steve (Herr) Jobs is a tool, and his customers are his minions. They all disgust me with their superior attitude and condescending remarks re anything not Apple.
    LOL... I just pictured Jobs as Hitler and the PlayBook as Jessie Owens...
    11-16-10 12:59 PM
    No CrApple fanboi has any conception of what goes on outside the CrApple distortion bubble.

There are myriad (well, several byut myriad is a good word...) pad now on the market (well soon). There's the HP pad that runs Windows - good. Dell are coming out with their amazing Dell inspiron Duo.

If you want a reader, there's the Nook color or (my own choice) the Amazon Kindle.

A QNX based pad is a great idea given the message based OS that is QNX. Lost of apps will surely come forth for the PlayBook.

The bottome line of this post is that there are many, cheaper and better altenatives to Jesus Jobs' restrictive creations.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-16-10 01:07 PM
    Just for devil's advocate sake.... Any test or demo ran by the manufacturer of the device demo'd or in a comparison can be doctored to make things look better than they appear. When Jobs goes up for his iPad/iPhone demos you know that everything has been checked and rechecked to make sure it will go well, and that Apple is going to go to sites that make them look good. We don't know what is on that Playbook... They may only have the web browser app installed and nothing else (the simulator came with zero apps). Also is the iPad running the new 4.2 OS? Too many unknowns.

Until we see some independent tests on or can actually use a GA'd product, be it Playbook, iPad2, Galaxy 2, or whatever then you can't say product "A" will/won't be better then product "B".
    11-16-10 01:20 PM
    Just for devil's advocate sake.... Any test or demo ran by the manufacturer of the device demo'd or in a comparison can be doctored to make things look better than they appear. When Jobs goes up for his iPad/iPhone demos you know that everything has been checked and rechecked to make sure it will go well, and that Apple is going to go to sites that make them look good. We don't know what is on that Playbook... They may only have the web browser app installed and nothing else (the simulator came with zero apps). Also is the iPad running the new 4.2 OS? Too many unknowns.

Until we see some independent tests on or can actually use a GA'd product, be it Playbook, iPad2, Galaxy 2, or whatever then you can't say product "A" will/won't be better then product "B".
    ^^^well said...
    11-16-10 01:45 PM

The same can be said about fanbois of other products *cough R.I.M, cough*....
    11-16-10 01:52 PM

LOL! Really?? where were you when the infamous Flash (not available) pop up during his demo of the Jesus-pad???

Furthermore, are you implying that the PB demo was "doctored". gimmie a break.
    11-16-10 01:56 PM
    LOL! Really?? where were you when the infamous Flash (not available) pop up during his demo of the Jesus-pad???

Furthermore, are you implying that the PB demo was "doctored". gimmie a break.
    I do believe he said in the video that both browsers had their caches cleared out, so I'm getting irritated when people imply that the results were doctored.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    11-16-10 03:21 PM
    Also is the iPad running the new 4.2 OS? Too many unknowns.
    doubtfull, its not out yet, and im sure apple dont give GM releases to RIM

makes me laugh how people cant just take it for what it is, the playbook beat the ipad on this certain test. yes other sites may be different but on this case they lost. heck they even had a html error on the acid3 test, and thats not biased. also flash, no matter what apple do they wont run flash, so they lost that site too.

will the iPad 2 be better? well id imagine so, will it run flash? nope

do i need apps? well no not really, i mean go to any flash gaming site on the web and there ya go, thousands upon thousands of flash games, and you dont even have to download, just bookmark and your away.
    11-16-10 03:37 PM
    I wish fanbois would think for themselves

11-16-10 03:48 PM
    I wish fanbois would think for themselves

[/IMG]
    LMAO!!!! Best laugh of the day! Thanks!!
    11-16-10 03:57 PM
    Everyone has their own opinion. Both tabs will have their strong points. All depends on what's best for the end user.
    gregerator and Jimieo like this.
    11-16-10 05:33 PM
    Yes! RIM has finally been able to somewhat match/surpass a first generation device that was released seven months ago.
    Let's save the review for when we actually have both complete products at hand - Knowing RIM, there are probably a good amount of skeletons to be found.
    @BBThemes, that's like saying "Do I really need a native application to play my music files? There's always youtube."

Bottom Line - This generation of tablets is still not worth purchasing in my honest opinion.
    From watching Jim Balsillie's demo, the Blackpad is not a fluid, polished device.
    Last edited by CrackBerry Storm meh; 11-16-10 at 05:41 PM.
    11-16-10 05:37 PM
    From watching Jim Balsillie's demo, the Blackpad is not a fluid, polished device.
    thats prob because its not finished, right

and while i get the whole apps thing, the ammount of flash games out there on the web is amazing, so while yea they ent installed, isnt that a good thing theres so much content already out there that can be used?

or put another way, is it that apple dont want flash because they dont like it, or is it they wont allow flash because people wont have to use the appstore for games anymore meaning less income for them?
    11-16-10 06:19 PM
    ouch that photo is wrong
    11-16-10 06:27 PM
    thats prob because its not finished, right

and while i get the whole apps thing, the ammount of flash games out there on the web is amazing, so while yea they ent installed, isnt that a good thing theres so much content already out there that can be used?

or put another way, is it that apple dont want flash because they dont like it, or is it they wont allow flash because people wont have to use the appstore for games anymore meaning less income for them?
    1) Are there any released Blackberry products that are fluid/polished? I am pretty sure that RIM is not going to change that anytime soon.
    2) What flash games could you be talking about? If they are online, chances are that the developer made the game with respect to the mouse/keyboard market rather than the touchscreen tablet market. There will most likely be problems with these games in terms that a small screen = less available space for the allocation of space between the screen and virtual keyboard.
    Bottom line is that MOST online flash games are not intended for tablet users. I believe that we can cut down on those 'thousands and thousands' of flash games since most of them, if not all of them, will be not user-friendly whatsoever.
    However, when it comes to Apple's games, these games are made exclusively for touchscreen tablets.

As for Apple's decision to not include flash in most of its products - It is not exactly a true loss. First of all, like I said before, there are not really any online touchscreen applications (to my knowledge.) It is really only applicable to the watching flash videos - Several companies are making the switch to HTML5. I am not necessarily in support of this movement, but it is not going to hurt Apple too much.
    11-16-10 06:39 PM
    1) Are there any released Blackberry products that are fluid/polished? I am pretty sure that RIM is not going to change that anytime soon.
    They really should. Apple has been used as a benchmark for a long time now and I think it's for a good reason. I'm a huge BB fan but I think they need to get up on having a fluid UI now. If QNX doesn't have an OS at least on par with Android in fluidity that's pretty sad. I know the ipad can't multitask but it is SO smooth.

It's not just important to me for the appearance. It actually gives a more efficient experience for the end user. No one wants to buy a dual core device with some of the latest technology only to have the software hold it back. No one wants to use a device that forces the user to tap an icon several times before the application opens just to see it stutter.

Yes this multitasks unlike say WP7 or iOS but still. At this point in the game RIM should really be caught up in that area.

I'm really hoping RIM nails this one. I guess we'll see within the next few weeks.
    11-16-10 09:18 PM
    2) What flash games could you be talking about? If they are online, chances are that the developer made the game with respect to the mouse/keyboard market rather than the touchscreen tablet market.
    now im not gonna single out any one game, but armorgames.com is all flash games, they also do them for ipad/iphone too so they are `touchscreen friendly` and they rely purely on `tap` input, much as say angry birds does on the iphone. also if you view the games the majority sit in a smaller flash window (like virtually all flash games on facebook do too) so scalling to size wont as far as i can see be an issue.

so as i just named 2 huge sites, armorgames.com and facebook, how many games is that? now im not gonna go counting but im gonna say thousands.

flash is good as long as its done right, just like any app/game, its only as good as the coding.
    11-16-10 11:12 PM
    They really should. Apple has been used as a benchmark for a long time now and I think it's for a good reason. I'm a huge BB fan but I think they need to get up on having a fluid UI now. If QNX doesn't have an OS at least on par with Android in fluidity that's pretty sad. I know the ipad can't multitask but it is SO smooth.

It's not just important to me for the appearance. It actually gives a more efficient experience for the end user. No one wants to buy a dual core device with some of the latest technology only to have the software hold it back. No one wants to use a device that forces the user to tap an icon several times before the application opens just to see it stutter.

Yes this multitasks unlike say WP7 or iOS but still. At this point in the game RIM should really be caught up in that area.

I'm really hoping RIM nails this one. I guess we'll see within the next few weeks.
    I am pretty sure that what we are seeing now is indeed a finished product - Obviously, they must have plans for getting this out before the holidays, and they are showing this device in public. As for making the appearance of the OS more smooth - It's really not going to happen any time soon... We've seen attempts, such as including inertia scrolling, but even inertia scrolling is sluggish...

Oh, and as for "Blackberry's multi-tasking" - People, you need to look past the point of whether it works or not... You need to look at the implementation of it, and BB multitasking is a joke. If you leave an internet active-updating application running in the background, your battery will die fast. For example, I was running 'Scores Mobile' - switched to another application... Later on, my battery was completely drained. That's a big problem, and that's the problem that Apple successfully corrected with their OS.

RIM is taking steps forward, but soon they will hit a brick wall - there's only so much that powerful hardware can do for a poorly written OS.
    11-17-10 12:03 PM
    now im not gonna single out any one game, but armorgames.com is all flash games, they also do them for ipad/iphone too so they are `touchscreen friendly` and they rely purely on `tap` input, much as say angry birds does on the iphone. also if you view the games the majority sit in a smaller flash window (like virtually all flash games on facebook do too) so scalling to size wont as far as i can see be an issue.

so as i just named 2 huge sites, armorgames.com and facebook, how many games is that? now im not gonna go counting but im gonna say thousands.

flash is good as long as its done right, just like any app/game, its only as good as the coding.
    "they also do them for ipad/iphone too so they are `touchscreen friendly` and they rely purely on `tap` input"
    I thought you said that there were thousands of FLASH* games that Apple devices could not play... Now you are saying that there are games made for Apple devices that the BB tablet will be able to use?
    On a seven-inch screen, scaling it will most likely be a problem. We will see
    11-17-10 12:09 PM
115 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD