Hi

Just got the 9780 yesterday evening and hada good 6/7 hrs of trialing it out against my old 8900. My first impressions of the 9780 are as follows:

Plasticky build quality overall compared to my 8900 which is made of far better materials and has chrome edging unlike the 9780 which is just plain old black plastic-rendering a far cheaper look, almostr toy like in quality.

The screen is poorly made- far more thinner and plasticky compared to the 8900 which seems to have a much thicker, stronger screen. Moreover, the 9780 on mines is prone to 'pinching' i.e if you accidently apply pressure on the screen(even lightly), the screen 'bleeds'. This does not happen on my old 8900.

The keyboard is generally inferior in my opinion compared to the 8900. It's use of cheaper plastic imo, makes it less tactile to touch, type and ultimately use.

The screen's resolution is also a step down to the 8900. It's more grainy and pixellated and pics taken with the camera is poor. Which leads me to the next point.

Lower quality camera/video. Although there are more options available on the vid/cam than on the 8900, it simply cannot compete with the 8900 even with an added boost of 5mps. Vid quality is extremely grainy-more so with pics.

Poor assembly quality. On mine which came in a sealed box straight from the factory, has poor assemble quality. Quality control has certainly suffered in these later models. Mine has a gaping gap on the right handside where the screen merges with the side of the body of the phone. Not good!

Lastly but not least. I do not rate the 6.0 OS that good. It certainly not as user friendly than 5.0 v on my 8900

There are a few positives however

3G+
    Track pad
    Better battery life IMO
    A few software tweeks.

Ultimately, for almost �400, I'm not particularly impressed. I'm going to return it back as I feel it's not much better than the 8520 (in build and user experience quality), which is more than half it's price right now.
    11-15-10 06:40 AM
    8520 is 2MP, OS that looks dated, No 3G, just stick with 8900! Thread is back and scroll down! LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-10 06:47 AM
    WOW!!! Not at all a satisfied early adopter! Have you tried the 9300? I really like mine.

I will try out my 9780 when the red one comes to AT&T. It's funny that you mention that it feels more plasticky than the 8900. The reason I didn't get an 8900 was that it felt plasticky to me. I'm curious as to how this device will feel.

11-15-10 06:53 AM
    Hi

Just got the 9780 yesterday evening and hada good 6/7 hrs of trialing it out against my old 8900. My first impressions of the 9780 are as follows:

Plasticky build quality overall compared to my 8900 which is made of far better materials and has chrome edging unlike the 9780 which is just plain old black plastic-rendering a far cheaper look, almostr toy like in quality.

The screen is poorly made- far more thinner and plasticky compared to the 8900 which seems to have a much thicker, stronger screen. Moreover, the 9780 on mines is prone to 'pinching' i.e if you accidently apply pressure on the screen(even lightly), the screen 'bleeds'. This does not happen on my old 8900.

The keyboard is generally inferior in my opinion compared to the 8900. It's use of cheaper plastic imo, makes it less tactile to touch, type and ultimately use.

The screen's resolution is also a step down to the 8900. It's more grainy and pixellated and pics taken with the camera is poor. Which leads me to the next point.

Lower quality camera/video. Although there are more options available on the vid/cam than on the 8900, it simply cannot compete with the 8900 even with an added boost of 5mps. Vid quality is extremely grainy-more so with pics.

Poor assembly quality. On mine which came in a sealed box straight from the factory, has poor assemble quality. Quality control has certainly suffered in these later models. Mine has a gaping gap on the right handside where the screen merges with the side of the body of the phone. Not good!

Lastly but not least. I do not rate the 6.0 OS that good. It certainly not as user friendly than 5.0 v on my 8900

3G+
    Track pad
    Better battery life IMO
    A few software tweeks.

Ultimately, for almost �400, I'm not particularly impressed. I'm going to return it back as I feel it's not much better than the 8520 (in build and user experience quality), which is more than half it's price right now.
    Wow! Your pretty much the first unhappy user with the BOLD 9780. I also have an 8900 and I found the build quality of the 9700 to be far superior of the 8900 when I played around with it. 9780 is identical to the 9700 except for the black bezel and the specs. Anyway, are you sure you are really giving the phone a chance? Why not take full advantage of your return policy? Many people actually prefer the BOLD keyboard over any other QWERTY keyboard out there so I am sorry you had a bad experience. But yeah I would try and get use to it and see if it grows on you. Good Luck
    11-15-10 06:54 AM
    Yeah not sold on it guys at this moment. I have 13 days to decide! Will read every comment on here and other sites before deciding. Just feels cheap compared to and IPHONE 4!
    11-15-10 06:59 AM
    I think you need to also mention the 5Mpixel camera, 512Mb memory.

I can definitely say tha chrome bezel on an 8900 is made of plastic. I always kept mine in the little pouch delivered with the phone and after a few months, I saw gray plastic where the chrome used to be.
    11-15-10 07:03 AM
    Yeah not sold on it guys at this moment. I have 13 days to decide! Will read every comment on here and other sites before deciding. Just feels cheap compared to and IPHONE 4!
    Nothing compares to the build quality of the original Bold 9000. None of the problems you describe. Built like a tank. I actually think they used better build quality with the 9000 on purpose.

Have dropped mine several times in parking lots, tile floors, and etc. and except for the cover popping of have found it to keep on ticking. Unfortunately every model since the 9000 exhibits lesser quality.
    11-15-10 07:06 AM
    yes sorry that should be mentioned and also web browsing and the time it takes to download stuff(well I'm with O2-BRILLIANT btw!), is alot faster than the 8900. Doesn't anyone feel that the chrome bezel gives the phone a more classier look to it thanjust plain, dull, cheap black plastic as on 9780?? Bad move RIM!
    11-15-10 07:09 AM
    Nothing compares to the build quality of the original Bold 9000. None of the problems you describe. Built like a tank. I actually think they used better build quality with the 9000 on purpose.

Have dropped mine several times in parking lots, tile floors, and etc. and except for the cover popping of have found it to keep on ticking. Unfortunately every model since the 9000 exhibits lesser quality.
    I definitely agree with you there! I have an old 8110 and 8120 in my possession. Absolutely well made. Now there's 'real 'quality for you'!!
    11-15-10 07:11 AM
    yes sorry that should be mentioned and also web browsing and the time it takes to download stuff(well I'm with O2-BRILLIANT btw!), is alot faster than the 8900. Doesn't anyone feel that the chrome bezel gives the phone a more classier look to it thanjust plain, dull, cheap black plastic as on 9780?? Bad move RIM!
    I think that it looks better all black, maybe it because you have grown to love your 8900. Why don't you try a 9700? then you get chrome bezel, OS5 and 3G.
    11-15-10 07:11 AM
    I think that it looks better all black, maybe it because you have grown to love your 8900. Why don't you try a 9700? then you get chrome bezel, OS5 and 3G.
    I was contemplating doing that this morning but the price at Carphone Warehouse where I bought it is actually selling the 9700 50 quid more expensive!! Could it be a better made phone? Anyone got the 9700 and 9780 right now, like to comment?
    11-15-10 07:16 AM
    Or OS6 if you so desire
    11-15-10 07:40 AM
    I don't have the 9780 yet, but I do have the 8900, so this is very interesting to me.

I have my 8900 in front of me, and I can confirm that the chrome-painted bezel is made of plastic.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but if "bleeding" and "pinching" refer to the sort of shimmer that occurs if you put a finger on the screen and press for a second or two, my 8900 does this as well. I'd be interested to know whether anyone else can confirm that the 9780 screen is thinner or weaker than earlier generation Curve/Bold screens.

I've tried the 9700 keyboard, and I have to say that I do prefer the 8900 in that respect. However, I know from owning several generations of SideKicks that the keyboard that you get used to always feels "better" than the new one. In my experience, it takes about two days to get settled with a new phone keyboard.

The 9780, 9700, and 8900 all have the same 480x360 screen resolution, the same screen dimensions, and therefore the same pixel density. So if the 9780 screen somehow looks worse, it shouldn't be because of the resolution. If the screen material really is inferior to previous models, that could affect it, however.

You just lost some credibility. The video resolution on the 8900 is a horrible 240x180. Sample videos taken with the 9780 are linked and discussed in a separate thread, and there is simply no way that any video taken with the 8900 could be described as better. The 8900 is a great phone, but video capture is its weakest feature. As for stills, well, I'll be watching that carefully. I think the 8900 camera is pretty good, and I took thousands of photos with it. If the 9780 still camera really is a step down, I won't keep it. Camera quality is about optics and software, not megapixels. Going from 3.2 to 5 MP wouldn't in itself make the 9780's pictures any better, but it shouldn't make them any worse. If the optics aren't good enough to take advantage of the added pixels, you can always shoot at 3.2 MP resolution anyway. And unless you're planning on making prints, that's plenty of resolution.

I'd exchange it over something like that.

The weight of opinion seems to be in the other direction on this, but I'm concerned about the lack of Column View in the browser.

Ubizmo
    11-15-10 08:14 AM
    I have my 8900 in front of me, and I can confirm that the chrome-painted bezel is made of plastic.
    yup

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but if "bleeding" and "pinching" refer to the sort of shimmer that occurs if you put a finger on the screen and press for a second or two, my 8900 does this as well. I'd be interested to know whether anyone else can confirm that the 9780 screen is thinner or weaker than earlier generation Curve/Bold screens.
    If I push down on the screen it also shimmers. Has done this since day 1 and has never been an issue or a distraction to me.

The 9780, 9700, and 8900 all have the same 480x360 screen resolution, the same screen dimensions, and therefore the same pixel density. So if the 9780 screen somehow looks worse, it shouldn't be because of the resolution. If the screen material really is inferior to previous models, that could affect it, however.
    I have seen the 9700 screen and IMO it looks exactly the same as my 8900. Its possible RIM used a different screen yet with the same resolution. That would be a very bad move if they did downgrade the screen from the 8900 and 9700. I doubt it though.
    11-15-10 09:39 AM
    If you guys want to touch the screen, get a Torch
    11-15-10 09:49 AM
    I was contemplating doing that this morning but the price at Carphone Warehouse where I bought it is actually selling the 9700 50 quid more expensive!! Could it be a better made phone? Anyone got the 9700 and 9780 right now, like to comment?
    I have had both and have a few friends who have 9700 and the build quality is the same if not VERY similar. Did you ask for a PAYG Price? The 9780 is �395 sim free but �349 PAYG!
    11-15-10 09:51 AM
    Hmm. this is interesting as i had lost my 9700
    and im planning on getting the 9780 for tmobile.. this wednesday..
    well now u have me 2nd guessing my self .
    11-15-10 09:58 AM
    Hmm. this is interesting as i had lost my 9700
    and im planning on getting the 9780 for tmobile.. this wednesday..
    well now u have me 2nd guessing my self .
    I would stick with your original plan and get one. The 9780 is a worthy upgrade in my opinion and top of the blackberry tree!
    11-15-10 10:04 AM
    I would stick with your original plan and get one. The 9780 is a worthy upgrade in my opinion and top of the blackberry tree!
    yes thanks i am probably going 2 get it. as i loved the 9700
    but i had mine stolen.....
    i just got 2nd guessing my self bc of this post lol but i m sure the phone is just as good as the 9700
    11-15-10 10:43 AM
    yes thanks i am probably going 2 get it. as i loved the 9700
    but i had mine stolen.....
    i just got 2nd guessing my self bc of this post lol but i m sure the phone is just as good as the 9700
    and then some!
    11-15-10 10:49 AM
    and then some!
    yes! how do u like ur 9780...
    11-15-10 11:02 AM
    yes! how do u like ur 9780...
    Its great, I have seen people complain about how its not an upgrade to 9700 but its not intended to be. I have a iPhone 4 (don't shoot ) so use that for media and apps, but I prefer camera functionality on 9780. The email can't be beat and I love the form factor of it. I have only had it since friday but found myself using it more and more, even had a passing thought to put my iPhone 4 on eBay earlier, LOL. All in all if anyone asked me what phone they should buy, it would be 9780!

11-15-10 11:45 AM
    Hi

3G+
    Track pad
    Better battery life IMO
    A few software tweeks.

Since you think its a complete piece of **** why dont you return it?, you have minimum 15 days and max 30 days to return it.

Its my first BB so I cant comment on comparsion but I think its a good phone
    11-15-10 01:02 PM
    coming from a 9000 i see no issues in build quality in day to day use. feels nicer to hold.
    i guess we will see when i drop it, i dropped my 9000 many times (no case) and no issues. that thing was a tank!
    11-15-10 02:08 PM
    coming from a 9000 i see no issues in build quality in day to day use. feels nicer to hold.
    i guess we will see when i drop it, i dropped my 9000 many times (no case) and no issues. that thing was a tank!
    ditto, i also had the 9700 and had too many issues with it, so far no complaints from the 9780.
    11-15-10 02:25 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD