When pressing the LCD slightly the screen seems to be 'sensitive' to touch and you can see it through the color ripple around the pressure point. Also, pressing against the sides of the BB, even slightly, seem to give a ripple effect on the LCD.

Is this normal?
    11-14-10 11:30 PM
    Wouldn't be the liquid part of the "Liquid Crystal Display would it?
    11-14-10 11:40 PM
    It really is a do NOT TOUCH screen!!
    11-14-10 11:45 PM
    it just seems as if the LCD is too exposed. Any slight pressure gives the ripple. I'm almost scared to put it in my pocket cause too much pressure might break the LCD. Wouldve been nice if they put some glass over the LCD for better protection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-10 01:41 AM
    it just seems as if the LCD is too exposed. Any slight pressure gives the ripple. I'm almost scared to put it in my pocket cause too much pressure might break the LCD. Wouldve been nice if they put some glass over the LCD for better protection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I can't recall anyone having the screen randomly break. Abuse or a fall may cause a problem though. I always put a screen protector on mine, just because. I've had everything from the 8830 to this Bold and have never had a screen problem, and I've accidentally dropped a few. Check your $2000 LCD TV, I bet you will have a ripple there too.......
    Last edited by grncherry1; 11-17-10 at 02:18 AM.
    11-17-10 02:15 AM
    If I'm worried about the screen getting crushed, I just make sure to have the screen face my thigh. It's normal for me to load and unload 30 kegs -by hand, one at a time- for delivery (Weighing ~170 lbs each). Occasionally, I mishandle one and my Tour gets between the keg and my thigh. Although I've had Tours replaced, I've never had a problem with the LCD - not even a scratch on the uncovered screen. I think you'll be OK.
    11-17-10 02:21 AM
    Okay, thanks guys. Just want to make sure. I have the 9330 right now and with it's plastic screen it 'seems' more protected.
    11-17-10 10:07 AM
    I recall on my 8330 that there was a plastic casing over the screen and it really did feel more protected, but I think the thickness of that plastic actually detracts from the screen itself. I use a screen protector on my screen to protect against scratches, but I think for general use, you really don't have to worry too much about the LCD breaking.

I do recall when I got my Tour, myself along with other users experienced the screen ripple when pretty the call/bb/back/end buttons. That was a bit annoying.
    11-17-10 11:45 AM
    Haven't had the issue with my 9650, but i'd see the ripples all the time on my 9700, especially when i used the "platinum" series case I got from Best Buy. Never led to breaking though.
    11-17-10 06:08 PM
    I had HORRIBLE screen rippling issues on my 9630. It bothered me for the longest time before I decided to finally call in and get a replacement. Obviously it will ripple if you directly press the screen, but if it's rippling when you press any of the top keys (phone, menu, back, end) or anywhere on the side (convenience key/volume rocker), then that is a problem and I would look into getting it replaced. I would not risk screen damage to the phone. Although it might be fine now, I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy having problems down the road when your warranty is long expired.
    11-17-10 07:45 PM
    I had HORRIBLE screen rippling issues on my 9630. It bothered me for the longest time before I decided to finally call in and get a replacement. Obviously it will ripple if you directly press the screen, but if it's rippling when you press any of the top keys (phone, menu, back, end) or anywhere on the side (convenience key/volume rocker), then that is a problem and I would look into getting it replaced. I would not risk screen damage to the phone. Although it might be fine now, I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy having problems down the road when your warranty is long expired.
    Did you call Sprint or RIM for the warranty service? I bought this phone off Craigslist for REAL cheap (but housing is beat up), so I can't go to Sprint. Does anyone know if RIM will still cover service?
    11-17-10 07:49 PM
    Curious on how hard you are pressing the sides and front.

/\ Agree with the other above, if you worried take it in to get looked at or exchanged.
    11-17-10 07:51 PM
    Did you call Sprint or RIM for the warranty service? I bought this phone off Craigslist for REAL cheap (but housing is beat up), so I can't go to Sprint. Does anyone know if RIM will still cover service?
    I contacted my carrier (Verizon) and they took care of me. You can try calling Sprint and asking what they can do for you. You might have a problem with the beat up housing because it needs to be clear that you aren't trying to scam them into giving you a new phone because your current one is about to fall apart. But hey, it can't hurt to try.
    11-17-10 07:52 PM
    They will not. sorry. haha.
    But.. you can replace the housing real easy for around 25 dollars yourself.
    11-17-10 07:53 PM
    Curious on how hard you are pressing the sides and front.

/\ Agree with the other above, if you worried take it in to get looked at or exchanged.
    Well, I'm only getting ripple with the back key for the front 4 keys. For the sides, I'm getting ripple when I hold it pretty tightly - a normal grip doesn't cause it. I guess I'm not use to the LCD being so 'exposed' so I'm just being over protective

I guess I should just relax a bit and not worry about it.
    11-17-10 07:58 PM
    If you got it pretty cheap because it's beat up, I say use the heck out of it and be happy.

Screws might need adjusting on the back of the phone to see if that helps. But I have only seen issues with the 9630 back in the day.

Throw it in a case and use it
    11-17-10 08:05 PM
    If you got it pretty cheap because it's beat up, I say use the heck out of it and be happy.

Screws might need adjusting on the back of the phone to see if that helps. But I have only seen issues with the 9630 back in the day.

Throw it in a case and use it
    Yeah, I'm probably going to play around with it and do some adjusting. I plan on replacing the housing anyway, so it'll be looking good as new.
    11-17-10 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD