I currently have the Sprint 9630 Tour and I will be due for an upgrade on December 1 2010. I am considering the Sprint 9650 Bold but have seen many post from people the dont like the new Bold. I only see a few differences and my only complaint with the Tour is the VERY VERY WEAK vibration notification, non OS 6, and no wifi. so will it be worth the switch for me or should I wait and see what else comes out later in the year. I know the just released the new flip Blackberry at Sprint but I havent heard anything good about it yet and I am not sure I really want it anyway. Thanks
    Last edited by bustermin; 11-13-10 at 09:22 PM.
    11-13-10 08:44 PM
    I know the just released the new flip Blackberry at Sprint but I havent heard anything good about it yet
    http://crackberry.com/sprint-blackbe...le-9670-review
    11-13-10 09:05 PM
    I currently have the Sprint 9630 Tour and I will be due for an upgrade on December 1 2010. I am considering the Sprint 9650 Bold but have seen many post from people the dont like the new Bold. I only see a few differences and my only complaint with the Tour is the VERY VERY WEAK vibration notification, non OS 6, and no wifi. so will it be worth the switch for me or should I wait and see what else comes out later in the year. I know the just released the new flip Blackberry at Sprint but I havent heard anything good about it yet and I am not sure I really want it anyway. Thanks
    If those are your complaints about the Tour, how can you ask if the Bold is a good idea? It has strong vibration mode, OS6, wi-fi and double your memory.

It's a no-brainer. Get the Bold....lol
    11-13-10 09:40 PM
    I agree. The Bold is a great device. You can't go wrong.
    11-13-10 09:43 PM
    I use the Tour 9630 (required by my job) and the Bold 9650 (personal). I'm sure you'll love the Bold.
    11-13-10 09:47 PM
    If those are your complaints about the Tour, how can you ask if the Bold is a good idea? It has strong vibration mode, OS6, wi-fi and double your memory.

Thank You for the input, I am really leaning towards upgrading. I just wanted to make sure the vibrator is better more than anything because I can not stand how weak it is on my tour. Thanks again.
    11-13-10 09:58 PM

I agree. The Bold is a great device. You can't go wrong.
    I use the Tour 9630 (required by my job) and the Bold 9650 (personal). I'm sure you'll love the Bold.
    I can do no more than echo all that these folks have said. I had the Tour and did an early upgrade to the Bold. Great device, I think you will like it, I certainly do. Tour was my first BB and I pretty much decided that I was a long-term BB user, Bold more than confirmed it.

By the way, the Bold has a trackpad rather than trackball, that alone would justify an upgrade.
    11-13-10 10:15 PM
    Well I will disagree and say its not worth the upgrade. I personally do not feel that for you're getting, the upgrade price is worth it. The only reason I'm using a 9650 is because Verizon replaced my 9630 with one. I would pay at most $50 more for this phone. If you're paying more than that, it's not worth it in my eyes.

Of course that's not to say the 9650 is a great device, because it is. Just not $200 great.
    11-13-10 10:17 PM
    Trackpad, wifi, 512 memory, oh and u can install 0S6 on it. I got the 9650 on VZW and like it a lot. If I had sprint though I'd probably go with the evo or wait for the next 4g phone to drop. You're gonna have this phone till ur next upgrade and there's really not that much different between the tour and the bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-10 11:53 PM
    OS6 and Wi-Fi made this phone worth it for me..but then again....I paid for it with the money I made from selling my old Tour
    11-13-10 11:55 PM
    Bold all the way. much larger battery than the 9670 and its international.
    11-14-10 07:41 AM
    Tour 9630 has stronger vibration than the Bold 9650 and maybe even a little louder, but has no wifi or OS6, not to mention the Tour's sometimes quirky trackball instead of the much better trackpad of the Bold. Same battery and similar battery life. Bold has twice the memory, but that will not make much difference for using the Tour. A new 4G device will be a better upgrade, especially if you have to start a new 2 year contract.
    11-14-10 08:34 AM
    Well I will disagree and say its not worth the upgrade. I personally do not feel that for you're getting, the upgrade price is worth it. The only reason I'm using a 9650 is because Verizon replaced my 9630 with one. I would pay at most $50 more for this phone. If you're paying more than that, it's not worth it in my eyes.

Of course that's not to say the 9650 is a great device, because it is. Just not $200 great.
    I also agree with the above comments.
    I moved up from the Tour and the Bold is a great device, but not "that much greater" than the Tour was.

If you pay for an unlimited plan and like to browse the Internet than the Tour with the latest OS 5 version on it is much better for browsing. Maybe not as fast as the webkit browser in the OS 6 leak but at least you can read each site.

As a wifi example, I was in a Ruby Tuesday's restaurant last night and it was a free AT&T hotspot. But it was not any faster than the 3G network. So I would not want to pay for an upgrade just for wifi since you are probably already paying for unlimited 3G that connects from just about anywhere with your Tour now.

I'd definitely wait until you get some feed back on the official OS 6 release as to how they well they addressed the current browser issues. Many sites still can't be viewed and I'm finding more and more that when I press the menu, there is not even a zoom option on certain sites, which renders browsing useless for my needs. I can read the titles but when they link you to other sites many are unreadable. Having to zoom and scroll . . . fagadaboutit This was not an issue on OS 5. True, I'm using the unofficial leak so I'm stuck waiting it out (I won't rollback again).

I use my BB for business and if I can't keep up on the news after they release the official OS6 update, I'll be shopping for another device rather than wait another year like we did with the Tour waiting for Rimm to finally update to OS 5.

So my advice is to wait until Rimm finally gives us what we are paying for.

I had no problems with the trackball on the Tour. When it's movements becomes erratic, just swirl it around face down on a white piece of paper to remove the oils off the ball that tends to transfer off your thumb.

I would think Rimm and the carriers will get things right before xmas or they will continue to see an exodus over to iphones and Android devices.

It's really a shame, because the Bold already is what the Tour should have been 2 years ago, but IMO you should not have to pay an upgrade fee to have to use your new Bold with a leaked OS like many of us choose too. If browsing is not a priority for you, then go for it. I paid $99 to upgrade after a year with the Tour. So now I know if I had to do it again, I probably would wait.

I'm not a fanboy of any device. I don't fall "in love" with any PDA. I put it in the cradle at night on my night stand, not next to me on my pillow

I've owned probably 10 PDA's over the years and the Tour followed by the Bold is certainly the best, but that's just due to the technical evolution of these great devices.

I'm waiting to see if Rimm and my carrier gets 0S 6 ready for Prime Time for us. It has to be very close now. These leaks are very good. The feedback from the Torch owners show they are pretty happy with OS 6. But it seems to me OS 6 was written specifically for the Torch and now Rimm is in the process of converting this new OS to run correctly on their older devices that have 512 mb of memory.
    Last edited by expidia; 11-14-10 at 09:40 AM.
    11-14-10 09:35 AM
    I came from Tour to 9650 & loving it, not just the extras like wifi but the build quality alone is better. I saw somone mention wait for 4g. I can already see so many people are going to fall for that scam, 4g is a joke as it stands now, I have used it in almost every market available & I can't urge people strongly enough, don't hold out for a phone simply for 4g

11-14-10 12:36 PM
    Don't do it! I thought I would love my bb but I really regret it. I'm waiting for the htc speedy now.

11-14-10 12:56 PM
    Bold is a much better phone then the Tour.. I had the Tour and LOVE the Bold 9650!
    11-14-10 12:57 PM
    I came from Tour to 9650 & loving it, not just the extras like wifi but the build quality alone is better. I saw somone mention wait for 4g. I can already see so many people are going to fall for that scam, 4g is a joke as it stands now, I have used it in almost every market available & I can't urge people strongly enough, don't hold out for a phone simply for 4g

Wow, you have used 4G in almost all of these markets since released in each of them and I thought I traveled a lot , pretty impressive:

1.California
    1.Visalia
    2.Merced
    2.Delaware
    1.Wilmington
    3.Florida
    1.Jacksonville
    4.Georgia
    1.Milledgeville
    2.Atlanta
    5.Hawaii
    1.Maui
    2.Honolulu
    6.Idaho
    1.Boise
    7.Illinois
    8.Chicago
    9.Kansas
    1.Kansas City
    10.Michigan
    1.Grand Rapids
    11.Missouri
    1.Kansas City
    2.St. Louis
    12.Maryland
    1.Baltimore
    13.Nevada
    1.Las Vegas
    14.New York
    1.Syracuse
    2.Rochester
    15.North Carolina
    1.Charlotte
    2.Greensboro
    3.Raleigh
    16.Oregon
    1.Eugene
    2.Portland
    3.Salem
    17.Pennsylvania
    1.Harrisburg
    2.York
    3.[Reading]
    4.Philadelphia
    5.Lancaster
    18.Texas
    1.Wichita Falls
    2.Waco
    3.San Antonio
    4.Midland and Odessa
    5.Lubbock
    6.Kileen
    7.Houston
    8.Dallas
    9.Corpus Christi
    10.Austin
    11.Amarillo
    12.Abilene
    19.Utah
    1.Salt Lake City
    20.Virginia
    1.Richmond
    21.Washington
    1.Yakima
    2.Seattle
    3.Richland
    4.[Pasco]
    5.Kennewick
    6.Bellingham
    22.Washington D.C.

(Sprint counts Chicago as a state)

BTW, what did you use the 4G for and with what device if I may ask?

Yes, so-called 4G (WiMax) from Sprint as it stands now is a joke, agreed. New 4G LTE phones due out the first part of next year from VZW, ATT & others may or may not be much better, but only a couple of months to wait and see instead of buying in December when the OP's contract renews and be stuck for 2 years with old technology.
    Last edited by mikeplus1; 11-14-10 at 01:09 PM.
    11-14-10 01:05 PM
    Mike plus yes I've used it in most of those markets, none in Hawaii nor Ca & only Portland in Or. I'm a truck driver, stay on the road months at a time. I use the Sprint 3g/4g wireless card for laptop, the reason I say its a joke is because some of these markets I actually have to switch over to 3g on the card for better speed, I can even give you a rough breakdown of what markets are faster than others if you like. Few examples.. Houston extremely fast, Amarillo useless, Portland, Atlanta, Cincinatti barely better than 3g. I know Cincinatti still says coming soon but its up & running. Baltimore is ok nothing to brag aboutim not trying to knock 4g as I know its pretty new but I'm getting more skeptical.just hate to see people running out to grab 4g phones & paying $10 extra when in most cases its barely better than 3g, oh yea, the state of Chicago its pretty darn good, even the bolingbrook area

11-14-10 01:30 PM
    Tour 9630 has stronger vibration than the Bold 9650.
    WOW!!!! if that is the case how do you tell if your getting a call on the Bold when its on vibrate? on my Tour I can hardley tell its vibrating when I am holding the phone in my hand! I can not imagine it being any worse!
    11-14-10 09:37 PM
    WOW!!!! if that is the case how do you tell if your getting a call on the Bold when its on vibrate? on my Tour I can hardley tell its vibrating when I am holding the phone in my hand! I can not imagine it being any worse!
    I used to miss calls with my Tour due to not feeling the vibration in its stock case on my side. Never miss a call with 9650 wearing the same way
    11-14-10 11:00 PM
    I used to miss calls with my Tour due to not feeling the vibration in its stock case on my side. Never miss a call with 9650 wearing the same way
    I have had every OS version (official, leaked and some hybrids) for the Tour 9630 and now have had all for the Bold 9650. We still have 4 Tours at my office as well as 4 Bolds, both running various OS versions. The Tours will almost vibrate off the desk compared to the Bolds. This has been a known issue since day one and there are many threads here about low volume issues and weak vibration issues, especially with earlier OS versions. Volume is much better now on the Bold, but vibration is still not as strong as the Tours.
    11-15-10 11:58 AM
    I Just upgraded to the 9650 on VZW from the Tour last week. I had the Tour for just over a year, good device but i'm loving my Bold even more! Slightly better battery life, better (more) memory, WiFi, and the beloved track pad! Oh and the price was right, yeah i extended my contract with big red for 2 more years, but I've been with them since 2001, no major complaints so far.
    11-15-10 05:38 PM
    Only you can decide whether it is worth the upgrade or not. The biggest thing in your favor is choice.
    11-15-10 10:48 PM
    I upgraded from the Tour to the Bold. I spent a lot of time going back and forth on this since I didn't want to use my upgrade on a phone that was almost the same.

I ended up buying my Bold on Craigslist. It was in mint condition and I paid less than I would have at Sprint with a contract extension.

I am very pleased with the Bold. I drop down to 1x in my apartment which disconnects me from the Bis servers. With the Bold I'm able to use wifi and still get all of my email and BBM messages. That was my primary reason for buying the phone.

The vibration is adequate for me. I keep mine in a pocket case in my pocket and can still feel it vibrating.

I'm running os6 and like it more than os5. Internet is a little better but still lacking. Overall I like the Bold and am glad I bought it. I'm also glad that I did not use my upgrade or extend my contract for it though.
    11-16-10 09:38 AM
    I too came up from the 8330 to the 9630 and as of last week the 9650. I was also on the fence about extending my contract for almost exactly the same phone but I couldn't be happier at the moment. The keyboard feels softer and I love the trackpad and WiFi. And finally, it moves along pretty smoothly. My theory....life is short get what you want while you still can!!!

Last edited by BeccaLynn; 11-17-10 at 12:46 AM.
    11-17-10 12:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD