Ok... Im confused. The other day me and my friends were talking, and I was telling him how I wished Metro PCS carried more colours of BlackBerrys(BlackBerries?) and he told me I could alweighs get a "flashed" one. He didnt bother to explain this to, so I came home and Googled it, and read around here... which made me more confused.

So, I guess my main question is what excatly does it mean to flash, jail break, or unlock a phone? How does it work? How would I get it done? Basically any information would be accepted on the subject. If this has been asked on here before, I didn't see it, and Im sorry.

Thanks for the help!
    11-10-10 07:35 PM
    Ok... Im confused. The other day me and my friends were talking, and I was telling him how I wished Metro PCS carried more colours of BlackBerrys(BlackBerries?) and he told me I could alweighs get a "flashed" one. He didnt bother to explain this to, so I came home and Googled it, and read around here... which made me more confused.

So, I guess my main question is what excatly does it mean to flash, jail break, or unlock a phone? How does it work? How would I get it done? Basically any information would be accepted on the subject. If this has been asked on here before, I didn't see it, and Im sorry.

Thanks for the help!
    In a nutshell:

Flashing, (besides showing off your breasts/private parts to strangers), is when a CDMA device is programmed or "Flashed" with computer software to make it work on another CDMA carrier's network, usually a new PRL file is uploaded. MetroPCS offers this service for CDMA phones that were originally meant to run on other CDMA networks such as Sprint, Verizon etc...however success is usually limited..Blackberries flashed to Metro usually only have Voice and Text..no data service at all

Jailbreaking (rooting for Android devices) is removing a phone's software restrictions, or opening the device, so that you have full access to it, and can load any applications you want/make any modifications to the OS that you wish. Many iPhone users do this to install Cydia apps (or apps that wouldn't normally be approved by Apple) or to customize wallpaper, and icons.

Unlocking is when you remove a GSM phone's SIM Subsidy lock with a code so that you can use it with other GSM networks and not just that of your carrier.
    11-10-10 10:03 PM

Thanks for the help!
    Flashing wouldn't really work because you would lack some of the native BlackBerry features because most CDMA carriers will not add the esn to their database.

As far as unlocking it, it would only benefit you on GSM carriers.
    11-10-10 11:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD