I have 9650 on Verizon and I forced the phone to use 1XEV instead of Global mode. The bb symbol appear normally on the home screen but when I go to the blackberry browser the bb symbol is not there but I can browse just fine.

Does anybody else experience this?
    11-10-10 03:32 PM
    I have 9650 on Verizon and I forced the phone to use 1XEV instead of Global mode. The bb symbol appear normally on the home screen but when I go to the blackberry browser the bb symbol is not there but I can browse just fine.

Does anybody else experience this?
    I'm also set to 1XEV not global and do not get what your describing. If everything works then I wouldn't worry. I do have a scheduled reboot every morning tho FWIW. I'm assuming you've had a reboot since you noticed this?
    11-10-10 04:11 PM
    No I have noticed this for a while now. Yeah, as long as it works, I guess it's ok
    11-10-10 04:33 PM
    You know... I never get the BB symbol unless I'm on Wifi.
    Maybe because 6.0...
    11-10-10 08:11 PM
    1XEV (all capitals) = bis data, so you don't need the bb symbol tbh.

The BB symbol probably shows when on wifi so that you know you have a BIS connection, since you could be successfully connected to wifi and possibly not have a BIS connection (there is no other notification like 1xev vs 1XEV).
    11-10-10 08:13 PM
    I thought that little Blackberry symbol in the upper right corner near the signal was some sort of wifi sniffer that tells you that there is wifi networks available? Because on the other side of the symbol there is the symbol showing signal strength of the wifi connection you are on(i.e. home router etc)

That blackberry symbol goes away when i am not around a wifi connection or I turn off the wifi
    11-11-10 01:57 PM
    I actually looked into this earlier, here is what I found...

The BB logo next to wifi means you're connected to BIS via wifi.
    When you see 1XEV (with no logo) it means you are connected to BIS via 3G.
    When you see 1xev (with no logo) it means you are NOT connected to BIS but are connected to 3G.
    When you see 1X (wih no logo), you're connected to BIS but don't have 3G coverage.
    When you see a 1x (with no logo), you're NOT connected to BIS nor do you have 3G service.

To sum it up, the BB symbol will only show up when you are connected to BIS over wifi on a CDMA BB. It's kind of like how CDMA networks don't use "3G", but instead use "1XEV" - same thing, just a different name.

I found this information on this forum and others when searching for the same question you have a few months ago.
    11-11-10 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD