My app memory has been dropping steadily over the past few days on OS6, it was 44mb, now I tried installing an application (1st one since I last checked app memory) and available memory is 33mbs...

Could it be feeds taking up my memory? Or is it just dropping because something is horribly wrong? Any ideas? Before it goes to 0mb :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 12:54 PM
    That's called a memory leak. Most 9700 users that installed the BB6 leak are reporting this issue.

Haven't got around to trying it myself, but supposedly this hybrid slows the leak down. http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/bt...-344-a-548101/
    11-10-10 12:57 PM
    i would think that if it takes a few days to go from 44 down to 33, you are doing pretty good. sounds like normal usage to me.
    11-10-10 12:57 PM
    During the time I tested it, I experienced no leaks. I'm holding out for an official release.

11-10-10 01:07 PM
    After uninstalling social feeds, the leak wasn't nearly as bad. I go down about 10mb in 48 hours or so.

11-10-10 01:18 PM
    People also said disabling some other stuff stopped the leak.
    Do a forum search for some tips!

11-10-10 01:35 PM
    Same here. Following the install with heavy usage for 4 hours, down approx 32mb. Battery pull brought back 25mb. Now, it'll +/- 10mb/day but most comes back either with a batt pull or leaving it idle (charging) overnight.

11-10-10 01:38 PM
    After installing the official OS6 version from UK Holland.
    Everythings works fine. You get used to it very quick.

I do have the same problem mentioned above. My usable memory was reduced from 55,4 Mb to 35Mb within a day.

What is causing this? Is there a solution for this?

Does anyone knowing the reason for this memory drop/leak?

If I do a restart of the BB the memory is back to 55,4Mb
    I don't like the idea to reset the BB device every day for fixing this?

I do run sevarall apps like:
    Whatsapp
    Linkedin
    Facebook
    Weatherbug.

can one of these applications couse this problem?

Help appreciated

EDIT: Once after running Weatherbug and closing the programm, the memory is back to 55,4 MB again??
    Can Weatherbug be the problem?

Is there a work around known, not resetting the device?
    Last edited by canedje; 02-11-11 at 01:43 PM.
    02-11-11 01:27 PM
    After installing the official OS6 version from UK Holland.
    Everythings works fine. You get used to it very quick.

I do have the same problem mentioned above. My usable memory was reduced from 55,4 Mb to 35Mb within a day.

What is causing this? Is there a solution for this?

Does anyone knowing the reason for this memory drop/leak?

If I do a restart of the BB the memory is back to 55,4Mb
    I don't like the idea to reset the BB device every day for fixing this?

I do run sevarall apps like:
    Whatsapp
    Linkedin
    Facebook

Help appreciated
    There is no real solution except to close out all apps when not in use and give the os some time to 'settle' and become more stable. Social Feeds seems to be an issue for some but after I 'shrunk' my os6 it has not been an issue for me.
    02-11-11 01:32 PM
    My experience, the only fix is to do what you are doing... Restart. I do one every night and then set in the charging pod. Restarting and battery pulls do no harm the device.

02-11-11 01:35 PM
    Thanks for the clear answers.
    Hopefully there will be a fix available very soon.
    02-11-11 01:48 PM
    Any update on this?

I blanked my new 9700, (gift from a friend when he upgraded), installed my sync from old 8900, and about 4 apps.

Got told I had under 5mb left! Am I right that the Memory Card holds the Apps on it, NOT the blackberry? My apps seem to be installed on the blackberry.
    11-10-11 06:47 AM
    Any update on this?

I blanked my new 9700, (gift from a friend when he upgraded), installed my sync from old 8900, and about 4 apps.

Got told I had under 5mb left! Am I right that the Memory Card holds the Apps on it, NOT the blackberry? My apps seem to be installed on the blackberry.
    Apps cannot be installed on the memory card......device only.
    11-10-11 06:48 AM
    What the OP has is a well know problem known as a memory leak.

This is caused by the inability of the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) OS to recover memory from application and, the OS which also looks like applications and return it to the unused (free) memory pool.

Applications use memory in blocks and when they create arrays in memory for whatever storage they require, they grab (allocate) memory for themselves. When the app has finished what it was doing (downloading stuff or calculating a display) it can either keep the memory or free it up.

Obviously closing the app completely will deallocate any memory that this app had grabbed. The OS does not have an automatic memory cleaner so mempry once allocated usually remains allocated.

The only fix is to reboot the phone whenever neccessary. Memory leaks have been a "feature" of BlackBerry OSs since version 4 to my knowledge.

Some apps are better or worse for this. Apps that spend a lot of time downloading data (FaceBook is one) need lots of allocated memory and are therefore resonsible for percieved memory depletion. This does not make such apps bad, it simple means that you have to keep your eye on the memory levels via <Alt>H or Options, Device, Storage and then reboot accordingly.
    11-10-11 07:03 AM
    Apps cannot be installed on the memory card......device only.
    Aha thanks for clarifying this, in Vodafone shop yesterday the clueless attendant said that the problem was the Apps were not saving to the memory card like they should do, and therefore the blackberry was getting full, sounds like this is not the case at all!
    11-10-11 07:03 AM
    There is only one working solution, go back to OS5 !
    Last edited by lop1; 11-14-11 at 09:23 AM.
    11-14-11 08:54 AM
    There is only one working solution, go back to OS5 !
    It seems very odd, have blackberry acknowledged the problems exists?

Also the strange thing is my BBerry 9700 was 2nd hand as a good friend got a 9900 and gave me his blank 9700 kindly, and he never reported any problems!
    11-14-11 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD