i called att told them i was going to mexico for a couple weeks didnt want roaming charged and wanted to use there service down there but ATT told me theres no unlock code for the bold 9700 yet so what do i do?
    11-09-10 08:39 PM
    go into the unlock forums here and check in to a couple threads and see if you get picked for a free unlock code they do each day unless you need it ASAP then just get in touch with one of them to pay for the code. I have mine unlocked. ATT loves to bull**** people.
    11-09-10 08:44 PM
    The information that you recieved is completely incorrect. There is an unlock code for your device. You need to purchase one from an unlocking company. There are many companies here like ourselves, that can help you out.
    11-09-10 08:45 PM
    freethisberrydotcom can you unlock it for five bucks?
    11-09-10 08:49 PM
    freethisberrydotcom can you unlock it for five bucks?
    Yes we certainly can. Check us out. You will not be disappointed.
    11-09-10 08:53 PM
    what does it mean by unlock by MEP name?
    11-09-10 08:58 PM
    You can unlock your phone either by IMEI and carrier info or unlock by imei and mep name.
    11-09-10 09:48 PM
    I got the same line of BS from ATT this morning. The CS Rep claimed that ATT cannot, by agreement with some unknown entity, unlock either the 9700 or the 9800. He did tell me that he would put in a special request to see if it can be done and I should receive an answer in 4-5 business days.

I suggested that he add to the case notes the fact I have been an ATT cell phone customer for over 25 yrs, and currently have and pay for 3 lines. I advised him that, if the special request comes back as denied, this long time customer will move to another provider.

I further advised that my ATT land line would also find another home.
    01-26-11 03:14 PM
    Sometimes these service providers are in strict agreement with the blackberry company that if the phone is sold at a lower price, it must remain with them. That might be the reason ATT isn't providing you an unlock code. But still, getting it unlocked from many of us unlockers here on this forum is an option.
    01-27-11 06:13 AM
    If you still need to unlock your blackberry then please let us know if we could help. We can have your blackberry unlocked within minutes. Please call or email us if you have any questions.

Thanks!

I got the same line of BS from ATT this morning. The CS Rep claimed that ATT cannot, by agreement with some unknown entity, unlock either the 9700 or the 9800. He did tell me that he would put in a special request to see if it can be done and I should receive an answer in 4-5 business days.

I suggested that he add to the case notes the fact I have been an ATT cell phone customer for over 25 yrs, and currently have and pay for 3 lines. I advised him that, if the special request comes back as denied, this long time customer will move to another provider.

I further advised that my ATT land line would also find another home.
    01-27-11 10:18 PM
    we hope that your issue was resolved by one of us.
    01-28-11 09:46 AM
    we hope that your issue was resolved by one of us.
    Not yet. ATT said I should have an answer in 4-5 days, so I'll give them a chance. If they fall down on their job, I'll be using someone from here. Thanks for checking!
    01-28-11 10:01 AM
    i called att told them i was going to mexico for a couple weeks didnt want roaming charged and wanted to use there service down there but ATT told me theres no unlock code for the bold 9700 yet so what do i do?
    Yes there is a unlock code available for your device.
    01-28-11 10:41 AM
    I just got the denial email and spent time with a CS Rep again on the phone. Because the 9700 is exclusive to ATT, their agreement with RIM is that they will not provide an unlock code.

When I told the CSR that I would get one of the commercial unlockers to do it for me, she warned that because the phone is made exclusively for the ATT network, it will not work properly on other networks. Sounds like BS to me. I guess I'll find out.
    01-28-11 01:54 PM
    It will work on compatible networks with ease. They just want to lock you onto their network so you do not switch.
    01-28-11 02:59 PM
    I just got the denial email and spent time with a CS Rep again on the phone. Because the 9700 is exclusive to ATT, their agreement with RIM is that they will not provide an unlock code.

When I told the CSR that I would get one of the commercial unlockers to do it for me, she warned that because the phone is made exclusively for the ATT network, it will not work properly on other networks. Sounds like BS to me. I guess I'll find out.

25 years and no unlock code!! that is INSANE. Considering a lot of at&t reps will give it to you depending on who you talk to. That is completely uncalled for. Unfortunately they probably have your name on file now not to give you the code. and 3 lines?? wow. terrible service.

If you need a unlock code many of us unlocker's can help get you the code within a matter of minutes!! prices range from 5-20$ and unlocking usually takes between 3-5 minutes and is only about 3 steps. Also most good unlocker's have video's as well that you can watch if you get held up on anything.

good luck! any questions you can pm us as well!
    01-29-11 03:35 PM
    25 years and no unlock code!! that is INSANE. Considering a lot of at&t reps will give it to you depending on who you talk to. That is completely uncalled for. Unfortunately they probably have your name on file now not to give you the code. and 3 lines?? wow. terrible service.
    Well, it's only 20 yrs - since 1991. However, it's 36 yrs for the same ATT landline; and it will be the first to go, since the cell phones are under contract until later this year.
    01-29-11 08:17 PM
    58.54 US TO unlock a phone! you guys are on crack and been reported for spamming
    01-30-11 10:01 AM
    Not yet. ATT said I should have an answer in 4-5 days, so I'll give them a chance. If they fall down on their job, I'll be using someone from here. Thanks for checking!
    yeah sure, take your time, we are all here to help
    01-31-11 08:29 AM
    Well I got it unlocked by one of the folks who posts here. Thank you very much.

The unlock procedure for my ATT Bold 9700 did not go as instructed by the vendor, however. His instructions tell you to go into Settings->Options->Advanced Options->SIM Card and enter MEPD, followed by MEP2 to get to the window to enter the unlock code. Didn't work on my ATT Bold 9700.

I had to install a non-network SIM card in the phone and turn it on. After it boots, a message comes up that says the phone needs to be unlocked to work with that SIM card. Clicking Yes brings up the window to enter the unlock code. Entered the unlock code and it worked just fine.

Thanks for the good service!

A pox on the house of ATT!!
    Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 01-31-11 at 07:00 PM.
    01-31-11 06:54 PM
    Usually the instructions above should work no problem. However, when in doubt you can pop a sim in from another network and it will prompt you for the unlock code

Glad you got it working nonetheless!!
    01-31-11 07:36 PM
    Glad you could get your phone unlocked! enjoy
    02-03-11 11:46 AM
    Good to hear you got your phone unlocked!
    02-03-11 06:14 PM

The unlock procedure for my ATT Bold 9700 did not go as instructed by the vendor, however. His instructions tell you to go into Settings->Options->Advanced Options->SIM Card and enter MEPD, followed by MEP2 to get to the window to enter the unlock code. Didn't work on my ATT Bold 9700.

I had to install a non-network SIM card in the phone and turn it on. After it boots, a message comes up that says the phone needs to be unlocked to work with that SIM card. Clicking Yes brings up the window to enter the unlock code. Entered the unlock code and it worked just fine.

glad to know, and thanks for sharing your experience
    02-04-11 12:09 PM

UNLOCKED=MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Enjoy your unlocked Blackberry!
    02-06-11 09:31 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD