has anyone made a media player faq or anything like that? I've got a few questions myself and it would be nice to have them all in one spot...

I've got a 6gb card and the motorola s9 headphones so i'd love to make this as useful as possible but i'm already having problems

1. I put a few albums on here and the songs show up as the correct size 5.4 mb but then the length is 0 seconds and they won't play... any reason why?

2. When I try to see artists or genres nothing comes up. These are mp3s that I've ripped from my own cds and they have all this information on the normal windows media player or in the songs properties

3. How does everyone transfer songs to their microsdhc card? I've been dropping them in with the card in a usb adapter into the music folder and i'm guessing this isn't the best method

Everyone feel free to add questions and hopefully we'll all get them answered (sticking with the numbers might make this thread easy to read and add to). Thanks all!
    09-26-07 10:31 PM
    I have a similar problem. I loaded a dozen or so albums (my own with no DRM issues) as mp3s on a 4 gig card. They showed up and played correctly for a week or two. Not sure if this is related, but on two occassions the BB shut off by itself while playing music. It took a while to come back on. Shortly after, some of the artists in the list disappeared, even though they are still on the card. I've recopied the same music, but it doesn't show up in the music list, though it is on the card. I then added considerably more music and none of it shows up in the music player, but it is all on the card.

This is rather screwed up. Anyone else having any problems? or know solutions?
    09-29-07 11:57 PM
    I had the same problem at first. Half the songs i put on my sd card would play but others wouldnt. My 8830 came with the device manager and media manager 9, which if you dont have i think you can download from this site. But if you use those programs to upload media into your crad rather than just uploading directly to the card it converts all the files to what is needed for your BB. I hope that help.
    09-30-07 01:05 AM
    My problem with the 8830 has nothing to do with the actually getting the music to play,,, it plays just fine when i use the Roxio media manager, i have about 500 songs in there... problem is , when i sinc to my s9 bluetooth headset it will not send the music over,,, i can use the headset to talk to friends but not to listen to music,, apparently, or so the phone guy says, the 8830 and the new 8820 will not let you listen to music wirelessly, but the curve and the att 8800 you can... huh
    09-30-07 07:07 PM
    I could be wrong, but I read in a previous post that VZW created a fix for the Bluetooth stereo support in their last patch. I would double check that you have the latest updates from Verizon. It doesn't hurt to make sure you did your updates and it could resolve the Bluetooth issue you're having.
    10-01-07 11:36 AM
    I've never had the problem you're currently encountering...Dragging music onto you BlackBerry through windows explorer should work no problem (although I would understand if something were to go wrong...). If you're running Media Manager and you're not converting the mp3, then it's just sending the mp3 file to the SD card. But again like a user mentioned above, I would run Media Manager to see if the problem disappears. I don't see how the 8830 wouldn't recognize the files on the SD card
    10-02-07 12:18 AM
    i'll definitely try that, i've just been busy with work, but i'll let everyone know if that clears up the issue. as usual, thanks for the advice!
    10-02-07 03:14 PM
    I had some luck pulling the battery and then running media manager. I'm not sure if it would have worked by just running media manager. Note, I didn't use media manager to move the files over the the BB. I had moved the files previously by dragging and dropping in mass storage mode.

After running media manager and then disconnecting the BB from desktop manager, I opened the media icon on the BB and then clicked music but not the artist (I have all my music in artist folders about 20 artists with 45 albums). I waited a while (as some other poster suggested) for the index to recreate itself. I waited 6 or so minutes. When I clicked on artist, most of the artists were there. I waited a little longer and they all showed up. I'm not sure how long it took but it was a while. Kind of ridiculous.

So, like some others, I think this is an indexing problem. Not a problem with the card itself. If the music disappears again, I'll post another note.
    10-04-07 11:53 PM
    I'm new to blackberry. I've only had flip phones in the past. One thing that I've noticed with my new 8830 is that the volume of the ringer is sooooo low I can hardly hear it from another room or if in my handbag. I've set the setting to loud but still very low compared to the flip phone. I'm very disapppointed with this problem. Please, someone tell me there is something I'm not doing correctly. I hate to know this is as loud as its going to get. Thanks, Melissa
    10-11-07 08:34 AM
    There are a ton of threads on this .. short of it is, if you have all the settings up to loud that is as loud as it gets - sorry.
    10-11-07 09:54 AM
    still not sure why media manager doesn't recognize the majority of my music library when the songs have been ripped from cds. they're all in mp3 format and when i click on them via the folder icons they play in the roxio player so i dont think it's a formatting option. It still only shows 290 songs and the other say 2000 aren't showing up.
    10-11-07 01:18 PM
    kjparfekt -

after running into similar issues, i found a method that has worked everytime for me. basically the 8830 is persnickety and Roxio is slow, but RIM wants you to use Roxio so you just gotta accept that. resistance is futile.

[might be wise to re-format your microSD card first - start fresh!]

1) dock the 8830 to the computer with the USB cable.
    2) open up the Roxio media manager.
    3) use Roxio's cr@ppy interface to locate the mp3 files you want.
    4) select the mp3 files and use the "copy down" button to copy to the Media Card.
    5) select the option for "copy as is" b/c there's no need to optimize mp3, unless you want to lower the sampling rate of the mp3, but that *really* makes Roxio move slow.
    6) let Roxio's cr@ppy software slooooowly copy the mp3 files to the microSD card.
    7) repeat steps 3-6 for other music folders.
    8) close Roxio media manager
    9) follow proper steps to un-dock 8830 from computer's USB
    10) let the 8830 index the files for 10 minutes while you eat a snack.
    11) open up Media on the 8830
    12) open up Music folder and you should see nicely organized music files.

as far as the headphones go, i know that when i got my 8830 in June, there was no way to get stereo thru bluetooth on the Verizon-branded 8830...that may have changed since then, but i don't know...
    Last edited by natebear; 10-11-07 at 01:37 PM.
    10-11-07 01:33 PM
    I also have the problem with the rediculously long wait for music to update. I'm going to try using Roxio though. Seems I got it to work with Winamp after a while, but it took a really long time to scan all the music.

I also use a pair of Motorola S9 headphones. The 2 newest versions of the BB software from Verizon do support A2DP (the bluetooth stereo profile). I did have a similar problem as a previous poster. I was using the headphones with both my BB and my computer, switching back and forth to listen to music. After a while I could only get the S9 to load as a headset, not the music profile. The only thing I found to fix it was a master reset on the blackberry and start from scratch.

Ski
    01-14-08 08:49 AM
    I have two pairs of stereo headphones for my 8830. I use the LG model #LGBTCTLSHS Bluetooth, and also the Sony model # SONYQSHS wired. I love them both, although the Bluetooth earpieces are just a little large for my ears, so are less comfortable and less secure than the Sonys. They both work VERY well, allowing me to seamlessly answer calls and return to my music when I disconnect the call. I bought both from my local Verizon store. I had previously tried many other headphones with no success.

BTW, I use the Media Manager to upload my music (and pictures) onto my 4G card, and never have any trouble at all. One does have to keep in mind that, the larger the card capacity, the slowwwwwer the load! I do optimize my files.

One option to watch: iTunesAgent. It syncs with your iTunes really easily, once you understand how to set it up correctly. There's been a glitch with the 8830 but Jaran, the developer, is hoping to have it corrected with the next release. I will try to report back when I try the new one.
    01-21-08 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD