Updated on 2010-11-22 - beta is over

hi all,

We are almost ready with the next major release of deToday (2.30) which will support integration with CrackBerry WallPaper Changer - a feature that some of you have been bragging for months

We need some beta testers to check the app in real world environment, and ensure that info displayed by deToday is clearly visible in all kinds of wallpaper galleries.

We prefer to work with users who participated in previous beta test sessions (we will probably contact some of them via e-mail).
    If you want to participate, please send an e-mail to support [at] odeve.com and (if you are lucky) support team will send you instructions.

For those of you who are not familiar with deToday - you can get a free 15 days trial to review the app yourself from our mobile site: m.odeve.com. At the moment we are running promtion for this app, - you may want to hurry up and buy a copy from m.odeve.com (mobihand affiliate) before the promotion is over.
    Last edited by thom.sten; 11-22-10 at 12:35 AM. Reason: beta is over
    mirren likes this.
    11-09-10 11:25 AM
    I'll send you guys an email as soon as my battery pull reboot is done Been excited for this one.
    11-09-10 12:11 PM
    Just wanted to say this release is fantastic, no bugs so far and it includes some goodies.

Cheers
    11-09-10 02:58 PM
    That it is with CrackBerry Wallpaper integration, this app is perfect now imo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-10 03:00 PM
    Thanks for the kind words, but your task is to find some problems with this beta version of deToday !
    11-09-10 03:53 PM
    Only thing that I've found so far is the BerryWeather text does not have the same "text effect' as the appointments.
    11-09-10 04:01 PM
    Yes, dev guys wanted to publish a version today, apparently somebody forgot about this

We will fix this in the next build.
    11-09-10 04:04 PM
    Not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I first open the app it tells me I have low file free space - I have like 170mb file free. Is this cuz I have a 9650?
    As far as the text features, Halo (with bold text) is the best imo for overall readability. Double Halo looks kinda pixelated.
    I don't see any difference when I use the auto-calculate feature - what does it do?
    Also, feature request: ability to make the BerryWeather icon bigger than 100 pixels
    11-09-10 06:47 PM
    the load time from phone being locked to it showing back the wallpaper and detoday is about 1-1.5 seconds.

also is there a way that when the phone is locked and detoday is off (what it does now) but instead of having a default "off" wallpaper that cwc is still gong on in the background when locked.

i believe the lag comes from having a default lock wallpaper and when the phone becomes unlocked, it has to load up detoday and cwc
    11-09-10 10:48 PM
    Sent an email and hope I'm selected. And this app rocks and was well worth the money I spent on it!
    11-09-10 11:20 PM
    There are so many options it takes a while to figure them all out. Font Family: BBCasual, Font Type: Bold, Text Color: Silver seems to be a good combination for me. I'm not sure what the Text Effect Option does. If it changes anything I'm having a hard time seeing it.

One thing you might consider is to have an option to have a transparent background behind the text. This would make it easier to see the text against light backgrounds. You could have the option to set it for 25%, 50%, or 75% transparent. I think Berryweather has the same sort of settings.

I'll be back with more findings later.
    11-09-10 11:20 PM
    Not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I first open the app it tells me I have low file free space - I have like 170mb file free. Is this cuz I have a 9650?
    You see this warning every time right ? BlackBerry devices have funny way to separate available memory in different categories, you may have tons of memory for applications and pictures, but limited amount for other files.

We will add some additional info in the next build of the app.

As far as the text features, Halo (with bold text) is the best imo for overall readability. Double Halo looks kinda pixelated.
    Can you send us some screenshots on how it looks on your device / with your wallpaper ?

I don't see any difference when I use the auto-calculate feature - what does it do?
    Auto calculate tries to automatically determine the "opposite color" for the currently selected "text color" and use this "opposite color" for "text effect".
    If you use white text, then "opposite color" is black - so there will be no difference between "auto calculated" and "use background" options.

This feature is supposed to save the user some time to choose the most appropriate "effect color", but it seems to be somewhat confusing. It is experimental, we will probably remove it from the final version (unless somebody insist on it)

Also, feature request: ability to make the BerryWeather icon bigger than 100 pixels
    Request forwarded !

I will review the rest of the comments in a couple of hours.
    11-09-10 11:31 PM
    I'm not sure what the Text Effect Option does. If it changes anything I'm having a hard time seeing it.
    "Text Effect" adds some additional color blur around the texts, to make them more clearly visible on all kinds of backgrounds.

You can try this extreme combination: "Double Halo", "Auto Calculate Color", "100%" - it should be easy to spot it.

One thing you might consider is to have an option to have a transparent background behind the text. This would make it easier to see the text against light backgrounds. You could have the option to set it for 25%, 50%, or 75% transparent. I think Berryweather has the same sort of settings.
    Berry Weather can apply effect (25% lighter vs 75% darker etc) on the whole background image - are you looking for similar solution ?
    Or are you looking for background change only below the actual texts ?
    11-10-10 12:11 AM
    Downloaded it and it went smooth as silk. The color effects are cool! Tried your suggestion and I'm going to try a few others. Thanks for giving me a chance to test it.
    11-10-10 01:01 AM
    the load time from phone being locked to it showing back the wallpaper and detoday is about 1-1.5 seconds.

i believe the lag comes from having a default lock wallpaper and when the phone becomes unlocked, it has to load up detoday and cwc
    deToday detects that backlight is on, optionally regenerates the image (if too much time has passed) and then sets it as wallpaper.
    After that device needs some time to refresh the home screen with the new image. I suppose that most of the delay is caused by the device re-rendering the home screen.

also is there a way that when the phone is locked and detoday is off (what it does now) but instead of having a default "off" wallpaper that cwc is still gong on in the background when locked.
    Now that is a good suggestion ! I have forwarded it to the dev team.
    11-10-10 02:04 AM

Auto calculate tries to automatically determine the "opposite color" for the currently selected "text color" and use this "opposite color" for "text effect".
    If you use white text, then "opposite color" is black - so there will be no difference between "auto calculated" and "use background" options.

This feature is supposed to save the user some time to choose the most appropriate "effect color", but it seems to be somewhat confusing. It is experimental, we will probably remove it from the final version (unless somebody insist on it)
    I think "auto-calculate is an important option. With the Wallpaper changer you are getting different backgrounds and "auto-calculate" seems to help with the "text effect" on these different colors.
    11-10-10 06:04 AM
    Settings:
    BBGlobal Sans, Font 17, Bold, White Text, Double Shadow, Auto-Calculate, Strong:

Settings:
    Same as above but with Silver text and Double Halo:

11-10-10 06:23 AM
    Once again - thanks for the suggestion. We have implemented this feature "When Device Is Locked - Hide Personal Info" in the latest version of deToday (check your e-mail). Please try it and let us know what you think !

Wallpaper change upon unlock seems to be more smooth with this new feature.
    11-10-10 08:00 AM
    I think "auto-calculate is an important option. With the Wallpaper changer you are getting different backgrounds and "auto-calculate" seems to help with the "text effect" on these different colors.
    Auto-calculate only takes the selected text color and tries to determine the "opposite color" for it. For example if text color is green, it will calculate that "opposite color" is (for example) orange. Auto-calculate does not consider the current background, so you can get the same result manually if you select text color "green" and "background color" orange.
    11-10-10 08:06 AM
    This request was implemented in latest beta build.
    11-10-10 03:25 PM
    Excellent, downloaded it now
    I'll take some screenshots for you guys in a bit, just got out of class.

11-10-10 03:41 PM
    Haven't gotten an email for the new update. Thanks

11-10-10 05:39 PM
    You can use the original link.
    So I deleted my wifes birthday from the calendar to take screenshots, but deToday is still showing it. I've tried everything except a battery pull.

11-10-10 05:45 PM
    I am having a hard time finding fault with this version. All is good especially with all of the options of changing the text color, the background "effects color", and the effects:

11-10-10 08:19 PM
    Only thing I've ran into is sometimes cwc doesn't recognize some images I have..

It seems that when you are in cwc and refresh the wallpaper... If the image doesn't literally show up at the bottom.. The wallpaper won't work.. If the image at the bottom is blank I won't see that wallpaper.

Not sure why that is... The images I got off cb gallery and is a normal jpg file. The phone recognizes the file and can put as wallpaper but cwc wont

11-10-10 11:11 PM
113 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD