I think the next six months will be very telling regarding RIM's future and commitment on Verizon. Many of us Tour owners will have expiring contracts in that time period and still have a somewhat sour taste in our mouths with the 9650 being announced so soon after the Tour was released.

Let's see what RIM comes up with (if anything) for Verizon in the next six months. There is a sizable customer base that will be changing phones in that time. Hopefully RIM won't disappoint.

Any thoughts on what RIM may have in the works for Verizon?
    11-09-10 08:22 AM
    prolly the storm3..........but verizon looks as if it going totally android......they carry a huge selection of android now
    11-09-10 08:31 AM
    prolly the storm3..........but verizon looks as if it going totally android......they carry a huge selection of android now
    Verzion, ATT, Sprint, t-Mobile and every other lesser known carrier will continue to carry Blackberry.

I just honestly do not see a flood of RIM devices until QNX is spit shined and polished for Cell Phone use. IMHO....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-10 08:35 AM
    If the Storm 3 rumors have any truth then that would surely help that bad taste in VZW subscribers mouths.

11-09-10 08:40 AM
    If I were Verizon, I wouldn't release another BlackBerry until RIM produced a hit. Right now, it benefits Verizon to go away from BlackBerry smartphones because Android is dominating its sales. Why waste time and money marketing a BB that really doesn't bring anything new, when you can advertise the next awesome Droid? I get it. RIM has to produce a hit. Android is kind of in the same boat with AT&T. They haven't given that network a hit Android device. That's why AT&T is fine marketing the iPhone to death over its Android devices.

11-09-10 08:49 AM
    If I were Verizon, I wouldn't release another BlackBerry until RIM produced a hit. Right now, it benefits Verizon to go away from BlackBerry smartphones because Android is dominating its sales. Why waste time and money marketing a BB that really doesn't bring anything new, when you can advertise the next awesome Droid? I get it. RIM has to produce a hit. Android is kind of in the same boat with AT&T. They haven't given that network a hit Android device. That's why AT&T is fine marketing the iPhone to death over its Android devices.

I absolutely agree with you that Verizon should shy away from RIM right now. They haven't produced anything in awhile worth marketing. I had the tour and when my upgrade came time, I went and got an Incredible 3 weeks ago. Me going to the 9650 was not a big step up by any means just to have a trackpad and wifi. Verizon has been benefiting from Android because different manufacturers are on the same train with Android thus producing different form factors and phones for the masses to choose from why RIM works at a snails pace and gives you a flip flop or storm 2 refresh.
    11-09-10 08:56 AM
    Although I do see your points and they are valid in many respects, I think it would be too radical a move for Verizon to go away from RIM entirely. RIM will always have some market segment even if it is diminishing and you don't necessarily want to keep all your eggs in one basket from a business perspective. Although Verizon is committed to getting the iPhone now too.

These things do make it sound like a steep climb for RIM especially with so many 2 year expiring contracts coming up for its sizable Tour owner population.
    11-09-10 09:24 AM
    I don't think that Verizon will go away from them. But I do think that they are going to be a little more picky in the BBs they do release on their network. I wouldn't be surprised if they only carried a low and high end BB and that's it.

11-09-10 09:34 AM
    Although I do see your points and they are valid in many respects, I think it would be too radical a move for Verizon to go away from RIM entirely. RIM will always have some market segment even if it is diminishing and you don't necessarily want to keep all your eggs in one basket from a business perspective. Although Verizon is committed to getting the iPhone now too.

These things do make it sound like a steep climb for RIM especially with so many 2 year expiring contracts coming up for its sizable Tour owner population.
    Verzion will not shy away from RIM 100%. CDMA is more secure that GSM, just on the radio frequencies. With that being said BES on CDMA is as secure as cell phone technology can get. If Verzion left RIM, Sprint would have national draw for those who NEED Blackberry. I don't see that happening. It wouldn't make sense.

And don't get me started on Verzion and Android. T-Mobile was the first to come out with an Android phone, the G1. T-Mobile customers, T-Mobile modders and people of all things hackery made Android what it is. And Big Red comes through with the D1 and tries to steal the thunder and pushing Android. If it wasn't for t-Mobile and their loyals there would be no "droid does".... it should be T-Mobile Does, Verzion Copies.

11-09-10 09:42 AM
    I was a loyal verizon customer for almost 10 years until yesterday and I've had a blackberry for 6 years...I had the tour and was waiting for a newer model other than the bold which wasn't much different from the tour besides a trackpad in my opinion and all verizon came out with was the curve 3g and bold in months... verizon is steering away from RIM and will get a nice model eventually but it's not a high priority of theirs. Their main concern now is androids... I love verizon and still have a line with them but not for a blackberry.... went to at&t and got a white torch which I have to say is awesome!!... anyways it is what it is! ADD ME ON BBM PIN: 23504A35
    11-09-10 10:59 AM
    I bought the Tour on release day 1.5ish years ago and after a couple trackballs failures that resulted in new devices all I can say is the Tour really helped me learn how to use BBSAK... other then that just pure frusteration.

I called Verizon and tried to get a piece of "boldgate" or whatever you want to call it but no dice... they would not upgrade me. I ended up with a decent Trackball Tour that I can live with.

Next spring/summer I am going to buy a new phone. I want a Verizon/LTE device. I want a touchscreen. I want a keyboard. That is just "3" wants and I think RIM can make that phone.

As for the operating system. Throw BB6 on that thing and tell me when QNX gets released later in the year my hardware will be able to be used with it.

This is a very simple game plan. Will it happen... doubtful. I really want to stay with BB and would even wait till this time next year if I had to. The ball is in RIM's court to step up and make a phone that has some serious "wow" factor.

And to just get on my soap box here about touchscreen devices. EVERY flagship phone BB makes should be a touchscreen. If the hardcore bold 9650 user just wants to use the trackpad give him a option to turn off the touchscreen. Im no "code" guy but that seems like an easy fix that would make everyone happy.
    11-09-10 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD