View Poll Results: Should we upgrade our 9700 with leaked OS 6?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES- I have it, its great no complaints

64 31.07%
  • YES- I have it, its good, buggy, but its worth it

100 48.54%
  • YES- I HAD It and I am downgrading ASAP...cant deal with various issues

27 13.11%
  • HUH? Whats OS 6?? (where am I exactly?)

15 7.28%
    So every 9700 owner knows that os 6 leaked last week and everyone is scambling to install and get fully operational, some of us while following all the leaked threads have yet to take the leap of faith.

I wanted to get a general idea of all the crackberry heads here about the subject..
    11-08-10 01:49 PM
    So every 9700 owner knows that os 6 leaked last week and everyone is scambling to install and get fully operational, some of us while following all the leaked threads have yet to take the leap of faith.

I wanted to get a general idea of all the crackberry heads here about the subject..
    You can always check out the OS forums and see what is going on with them.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...-fixes-545423/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f217/yo...9700-a-515309/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mjneid; 11-08-10 at 01:58 PM.
    11-08-10 01:52 PM
    The leaked/beta forums have all kinda of beta and leaked OS's for any number of devices including the latest stable OS 5.0.0.979 for the 9700.

I wouldn't jump to a new beta os unless it was bug-free. Take chances, mistakes happen, bugs bug, trial and error is nuts, but we all learn/find out sooner or later.

11-08-10 03:19 PM
    @Rootbrian

That's half the fun of having such a tweakable device. I'm running the hybrid OS6 and have few issues. I have the lag, it gave me some flac trying to respond to an email for just a bit and my memory leak is very minimal, plus I have 120MB after a battery pull anyway. I only lost about 15-16MB switching to OS6.

@ghostnyc

Most leaked OS's have bugs, that's to be expected. Me personally, I love the hybrid OS6 build and can't wait for an official mostly bug free release. The greatest part of installing a leaked OS is to find the bugs and errors so they can be fixed and make the best possible official release.

11-08-10 03:29 PM
    Mine is running great, I have shrinked it a little bit and I have no problems, sometimes is a bit slower (opening or zooming pictures, to give an exemple..) but it works more than fine to me...
    Only issue, I sometime lose the BIS icon next to the 3G and it comes back immediately if I restart the radio functions...that could be because of my carrier though, I'm not sure if it's a bug...
    11-08-10 03:34 PM
    Man it is a bit crazy yet, copy and past do not work on google maps, contacts, memopad and others, but its worth it.
    I can't live without my phone because of my job and I'm still alive with OS 6 with bugs...
    11-08-10 03:42 PM
    A few bugs requiring a couple battery pulls, but loving it so far. Feels like a whole new phone.
    11-08-10 04:31 PM
    I haven't run into one problem, yet. And this is the first OS I've ever upgraded to. Yay.
    11-08-10 05:19 PM
    Well I kindda like it, the browser is amazing even thought sometimes it tells me that the page it too heavy for my Berry.

And it eats a lot of memory! 40mb left and I feel like it's just dicreasing by itself, without me installing any app or anything.

Plus I still don't get how I'm supposed to open the full menu... Am I supposed to scrool UP then DOWN everytime...? Or press the options button and then click "open tray"...?

And well once I'm on the full menu, my FB app happens to be on the lower right corner of the screen, and everytime I want to access it quickly, it switches to the "Favorites" screen, which is getting annoying...

And I still don't get why I should choose Social Feeds over SocialScope lol. The app is pretty much useless.

But overall not too many bugs, (I hardly had one actually), it looks great and is REALLY fluid, and I love how one screen blends into the next/previous one, it's great.
    11-08-10 05:31 PM
    Plus I still don't get how I'm supposed to open the full menu... Am I supposed to scrool UP then DOWN everytime...? Or press the options button and then click "open tray"...?

Just swipe down on the pad and the full menu opens.
    11-08-10 05:48 PM
    Either that, or set it to where there are no icons on your home screen. Like this..

Then all you have to do is scroll down and click on the bar to open the dock.

So far I'm loving BB6. Few minor issues that need to be worked out, but nothing that would make me go back to 5.0
    11-08-10 05:57 PM
    Runs fine. I just hate when I lose the menu in 3P text-entry screens. They won't come back till a battery pull.

11-08-10 06:24 PM
    Yeah that's what I thought I was supposed to do but it just doesn't work everytime, so I was wondering if I was doing it wrong .

Thanks for the tip anyway .

Then I guess I found a bug on my OS!

And well I just discovered the power of RSS feeds, and I'm never closing this Social Feeds app
    11-08-10 06:32 PM
    @ghostnyc

Most leaked OS's have bugs, that's to be expected. Me personally, I love the hybrid OS6 build and can't wait for an official mostly bug free release. The greatest part of installing a leaked OS is to find the bugs and errors so they can be fixed and make the best possible official release.

Yeah I can see that is part of the fun of installing a leak, tinkering to discover fixes and such, however there are some leaks that are more trouble than theyre worth.
    11-08-10 09:38 PM
    Not liking it myself - seems to have added a layer of complexity to everything. Additional keypresses/swipes to find things, trays like Favourites and Frequent which, in my view, duplicate each other and can't be customised. Can't see any advantage other than the browser (and I probably use a browser on a phone maybe once per week at most), so have gone back to quick and clean 5.x
    11-09-10 02:02 AM
    My phone has crashed, with the error message to reset, once. Other than that, I haven't had any issues so I can't complain at all.
    11-09-10 02:49 AM
    OS 6 had just one issue i couldn't stand which was the battery life~ haha~

after an upgrade to OS 6 Hybrid, my battery life is great~ no complaints roughly around 3% per hour~ that's a very good trade off~ :3
    11-09-10 03:37 AM
    Not liking it myself - seems to have added a layer of complexity to everything. Additional keypresses/swipes to find things, trays like Favourites and Frequent which, in my view, duplicate each other and can't be customised. Can't see any advantage other than the browser (and I probably use a browser on a phone maybe once per week at most), so have gone back to quick and clean 5.x
    Gotta agree with all of this. Too many extra steps needed to do stuff and to me the browser wasn't all that. The duplication within folders was also an annoyance. I too went back to OS5. Clean and simple.

11-09-10 07:38 AM
    I don't think there are "extra" steps, different steps yes, but not extra. I also agree about the frequent and favorites tab. Even the media folder is useless, it just opens the media tab.

11-09-10 09:21 AM
    Very minor issue. Battery last not as long but overall snappy and no lag. I also hide all icons and a quick swipe to the bottom reveal all apps.
    11-09-10 10:24 AM
    i'm running an os6 hybrid as well and loving it.. the first 36hrs of running os6 your battery life will be questionable but after that it goes back to normal.. i use my browser a lot more often now, with os5 i wouldn't bother with forums but now i can browse through all my fav forums...

it takes 20 minutes to install os6, i would do it, try it for a week and if you don't like it, go back to os5 and wait for an official release
    11-09-10 01:52 PM
    I need to figure out to get my pics up...

11-09-10 07:47 PM
    Install fixmo (use the free trial) and look at your ram! Application space and ram are different things entirely. On os5 I have 125mb app memory and 109mb ram. On os6 I have 120mb app memory but less than 30mb of ram, that 30mb drops to zero real fast when loading a big website which results in memory errors and the browser closing. Most people seem to think app memory and ram are one and the same on a blackberry but they aren't.

@Rootbrian

That's half the fun of having such a tweakable device. I'm running the hybrid OS6 and have few issues. I have the lag, it gave me some flac trying to respond to an email for just a bit and my memory leak is very minimal, plus I have 120MB after a battery pull anyway. I only lost about 15-16MB switching to OS6.

@ghostnyc

11-09-10 08:41 PM
    that os 6 running well in my bb9700,the camera funtion upgarde is good for me.
    but i need chinese version,any body can teach how to install?thanks
    11-09-10 10:38 PM
    When I upgrade to version 6, it was fast, there was this email bug where the menu wouldn't come up and beejive kept crashing for me, so I downgraded for stability.

11-10-10 03:23 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD