Hi guys. I am going to dump the Blackberry BIS unlimited data plan service that costs me 17 euros each month. I have already bought a Samsung Netbook (N150 Plus) that I am going to use with a (3G USB modem) on a standard 5GB/per month service that will cost me around 30 euros. These are the reasons that make blackberry a useless device and expensive, not only for me but for most of us:

1. Push Email is the main characteristic that comes out of the box in Blackberries and this needs a subscription to blackberry servers. Why should the average user need a Push email? If he is too serious for the job he would own a laptop or netbook with a regular screen. And again in case he needs to Push Email in a little device then there are 3rd party applications that would help him do that. A standard cheap 100Mb plan would be more sufficient for this job. He doesn’t need BIS.

2. Internet Connection? Blackberry Services (BIS, BES) channel your internet data through their servers. This slows things down and makes web surfing a sluggish, pain in the azz experience.

3. Small Screens are not recommended for long term internet use (have you heard of something called Repetitive Strain Injury?). For this reason you don�t need any unlimited Blackberry Service. Treat your phone like a phone and emergency internet access gadget. A standard cheap 100Mb plan would be sufficient for urgent use. If you trully like to surf the web on the go like me, use a mini laptop (netbook) with a 3G USB modem.

4. You don�t need a blackberry to run applications. Software is not made only for blackberry. Software for mobile phones is cross platform. The good applications are tweaked to run on most mobile phones including the cheap ones !!! So your Google Application would also be available on a cheap Java capable mobile phone.

5. GPS. Probably the only useful feature you may get from an expensive phone. Combined with a high resolution screen and some maps, GPS can be a very useful tool for a regular traveler!!! But again! Roaming in other countries could incur very high expenses per MB if your phone downloads the tiles on the fly and you don�t have your maps preloaded in memory card. From this perspective, Blackberry & any other Data Plan Service is USELESS.

6. Blackberry�s CPU power. It is true that you get a good CPU processor with expensive blackberries. But given the small screen, multitasking is not advisable. Keep a mini laptop with a 3G modem for strenuous jobs on the go. Use your phone only as a phone, sms, reminder, calendar, and only urgent internet/email staf. A cheap Nokia phone can be enough for this job. Your mobile phone doesn’t even have to be a 3G !!!!

7. Software. Blackberry uses its own O/S software. It is not like Android O/S that is used by many mobile phone Brands. When you decide to move from Blackberry to another Brand, you can not take that knowledge with you. Additionally, many software developers and hobbyists prefer Android for this reason.

8. Full QWERTY Keyboard. This is cool for sms but it is not proprietary for Blackberry only. Cheap Nokia /SonyEricsson and others have this.

9. Security. Most of us don�t share top governement secrets that would justify any needs for extra security. Even if you horn your wife, who really cares. And I guess your wife is not so technologically knowledgeable to break into your GPRS or GSM waves. Simple as that….

10. You are registered in a community like this because you have a passion with gadgets / a true hobbyist /”Cracker”. Blackberry is not made for you. It is made for the lazy “President” or “Business Man” who wants to pay the extra money in order to have everything preinstalled in the phone before he opens its box. This is what Blackberry is. A non tweakable device made for Push Emails and encrypted (secured) communication. Nothing more…..

If you made the mistake to buy an expensive blackberry, keep it for the GPS and Phone activities but if you really want to surf, buy one of those little cheap Intel Atom netbooks that can run Windows 7 or XP and install Firefox or GoogleChrome browser. Combine it with a normal data plan and a 3G USB modem….
    Last edited by Athanasis; 11-05-10 at 05:36 AM.
    11-05-10 05:23 AM
    ... What your saying are not facts, but in fact they are called "opinions and preferences". - De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum. -

Let me lay it out to you. I've had more than 10 phones in the last 2 years, including iPhones and different Android phones but they were all just... NOT GOOD.
    They ran sluggish - yes - 1Ghz phones with android and iPhone didn't respond INSTANT. Do you know that feeling when your wireless mouse is running out of battery but is not yet dead - he's moving with your hand... but he's not. I mean, you feel he's just behind you but you don't actually see it, physically.
    That's the case with other phones, they are all fast but I always feel with them they are behind me - invisible lag - 6th sense, you name it, I'm sure many of you know the feeling.
    Well, BlackBerry not only doesn't have that but it's actually AHEAD of me LOL the damn thing is reading my mind. Loving it. Anyway, I've never had a faster phone than my BBery.

Now let's talk about your points...

1. You need to learn more about PUSH e-mail and BES - BES for companies is a BLESSING. They can sync their calendars and send internal mails etc. anyway, I really don't need push mail, but I use it and I enjoy it. As for the mini laptop - I already carry too much stuff around with me, a netbook would drive me crazy, no THANKS!.

2. No, internet trough BIS/BES is actually faster because BIS and BES are better technology than most of the carrier technology which provides you with the "generic" data plan and second BIS/BES compress data, which means lower traffic, which in it's turn translates to higher speeds.

3. Long term internet use ? Who said anyone is using the internet on the Berry "long-term" ? I'm using it when I need it and I'm not at home. It does exactly what I need it to do, bigger screens would just be too uncomfortable and the advantages would not be worth it. RST is caused by... Diablo II players who click too much their mouse, not small screens. Oh and you want a come back with "you'll need glasses" let me tell you this - if I get a netbook I'll spend even more time on the net because it's easier and not only I'll push my eyes for a longer period of time but I'll also waste my time more. So smaller screen wins.

4. True, you can always choose to run the same software on different phones, like Android or iPhone - it's a matter of taste and preferences. But there are some programs that I couldn't do without, for example, BBM is the best thing I've ever had. Nothing, no messenger, could ever compare to it.

5. GPS - All phones have GPS and yes, is VERY useful even for me (I don't have a car but I live in a really big city and I get lost like, A LOT).

6. "Given the small screen, multitasking is not advisable" - WTH do small screens have to do with multitasking and what's up with your fetish for netbooks and 3G modems ? A NETBOOK IS TOO MUCH SOMETIMES. Example - I'm out with some friends, we start like contradicting on a specific topic... like... the capital of Mongolia - I pull out the berry and check google, no, I don't bring my netbook with me when meeting the lads at the pub.

7. BlackBerry uses it's own OS. And that's exactly the reason I'm using BlackBerry - it's very fast - and very stable - it doesn't come in 100 flavors like Android modified by each mobile brand according to their likings. I don't intend switching to Android or iPhone so I don't really care about "bringing the knowledge with me".

8. Cheap Nokia / Sony Ericsson indeed, do have QWERTY keyboards - Have you tried writing an e-mail with an E71 ? I tried, and then got my Bold - I write it without even looking at the keyboards, fast, no errors - whereas it took me ages on the E71 - it's QWERTY but it's a really good QWERTY that no other phone has, and trust me, I've looked.

9. I like feeling safe. Security is not just for "top governement secrets" - some of us have really sensitive data about our companies. For example I have 10 credit cards and keep their details inside my Blackberry, I also keep a lot of sensitive data like ID numbers, passwords and others. I like them being encrypted. Using a Windows phone is like inviting someone to steal all your info in it, it's that easy, check youTube. Microsoft doesn't give a **** about Windows Mobile security.

10. All the phones I have, Blackberry is the most tweak-able. OK, to be honest, it's 10 times more tweak-able than iPhone BUT the Android is more tweak-able that Blackberry - but the catch is that it's 10 times harder to tweak the Android like you would tweak your Blackberry. For example, no other phone can update it's OS easier, can install a theme easier, BB is the first phone who KEPT it's theme settings even when deactivated meaning I can switch my themes around every of them with their own settings.

BTW - have you heard of... like... the shortcuts for... seeing log, deleting log, engineering screen (which is like.... the nosferatu of geeks) and much much more, just look at the themes if your into graphics.

Tell me: Which other phone adjusts it's screen light according to outside light, and which other phone knows when he's in a holster and it's time for him to sleep ? - And those can be tweaked too.
    iPhone didn't even have friggin Bluetooth available until the new version, and your talking about tweaks....

I've answered all your questions now you answer two of mine:

What is your problem with Blackberry ? If you don't like it just don't buy one and leave us alone.

Why do you have a fetish with netbooks ? Did you win one in a lame contest and you try being very proud of it or something ?
    11-05-10 06:10 AM
    Your arguments are welcome my friend. I have read your other thread about banning the Blackberry Service in Turkey because the "officials" can not monitor your private data and I am glad that you follow a more open minded view than the average Turkish. I wonder how some European Countries sponsor that country to be a member of the European Community while its system can not comprehend simple notions such as "Human Rights", "Right for Privacy" etc....

Anyway your argument for portability is very true and well presented but it is almost imposible to surf the internet under the conditions I explained above.

It is common sense that many applications are written for android these days and this makes blackberry a second choice for the hobbysist....

Thanks
    11-05-10 06:14 AM
    Turkey will never be in the EU!
    It's not on the European continent and that's that. Who supports Turkey for EU ? Greece certainly doesn't.
    11-05-10 06:29 AM
    No, no politics please.
    11-05-10 06:37 AM
    OMG! WOW, soo out to lunch, you're the kind of person that resists change aren't you

1. Push Email is the main characteristic that comes out of the box in Blackberries and this needs a subscription to blackberry servers. Why should the average user need a Push email? If he is too serious for the job he would own a laptop or netbook with a regular screen. And again in case he needs to Push Email in a little device then there are 3rd party applications that would help him do that. A standard cheap 100Mb plan would be more sufficient for this job. He doesn�t need BIS.
    Push email is a dream with my Blackberrys it takes 20-30 seconds to boot up a laptop and start useful work, assuming I got notification I received an email I would lose so much time just waiting for the laptop to boot up. Instant notification is awesome! I can arrange group events via email with other blackberry/smartphone users without calling people, 1 email to 20 people about something happening tonight, can result in replies in minutes to see if it is worth buying that Keg of beer or not.

2. Internet Connection? Blackberry Services (BIS, BES) channel your internet data through their servers. This slows things down and makes web surfing a sluggish, pain in the azz experience.
    Not on my Torch, Websurfing, which IS NOT a priority for my smartphone is far from a pain,
    But the use of Instant message tools and BBM are high use high priority!

3. Small Screens are not recommended for long term internet use (have you heard of something called Repetitive Strain Injury?). For this reason you don�t need any unlimited Blackberry Service. Treat your phone like a phone and emergency internet access gadget. A standard cheap 100Mb plan would be sufficient for urgent use. If you trully like to surf the web on the go like me, use a mini laptop (netbook) with a 3G USB modem.
    Carpel tunnel?? that comes more from using mini laptops over a long period of time than any use of a smartphone, as smartphone typing is actually more ergonomical than traditional typing. and again the Torch, not that small of screen for txt reading/usage

4. You don�t need a blackberry to run applications. Software is not made only for blackberry. Software for mobile phones is cross platform. The good applications are tweaked to run on most mobile phones including the cheap ones !!! So your Google Application would also be available on a cheap Java capable mobile phone.
    Only Applications I NEED are Microsoft Office, and out of Apple / Android / Nokia and Blackberry, Blackberry is the BEST smartphone for running Office Applications, Doc2Go on the Blackberry is much smoother, than other platforms. ( Have not tried Android 2.2)

5. GPS. Probably the only useful feature you may get from an expensive phone. Combined with a high resolution screen and some maps, GPS can be a very useful tool for a regular traveler!!! But again! Roaming in other countries could incur very high expenses per MB if your phone downloads the tiles on the fly and you don�t have your maps preloaded in memory card. From this perspective, Blackberry & any other Data Plan Service is USELESS.
    I'm on the flipside here, the GPS is something I almost never use on my Blackberry, I am busy with email and BBM and note taking and Calendar entries, I use a 3rd Party GPS that mounts to my car. if I could get a solid Dock, and the Smartphone GPS offered me more than just downloaded maps I'd consider moving to it.

6. Blackberry�s CPU power. It is true that you get a good CPU processor with expensive blackberries. But given the small screen, multitasking is not advisable. Keep a mini laptop with a 3G modem for strenuous jobs on the go. Use your phone only as a phone, sms, reminder, calendar, and only urgent internet/email staf. A cheap Nokia phone can be enough for this job. Your mobile phone doesn�t even have to be a 3G !!!!
    I have no idea how to use a laptop with 1 hand while walking, when I'm moving through an Airport, or in a restaurant the blackberry is soo convenient for multi tasking, getting the news, reading emails, and keeping in touch with friends/family, the CPU in my BB is mostly powerful enough, could be a little smoother, but not a deal breaker

7. Software. Blackberry uses its own O/S software. It is not like Android O/S that is used by many mobile phone Brands. When you decide to move from Blackberry to another Brand, you can not take that knowledge with you. Additionally, many software developers and hobbyists prefer Android for this reason.
    Why would I move from Blackberry in the first place? they are an excellent combination of software and hardware, Android doesn't offer me anything that Blackberry doesn't offer me, and I get to be connected to a BES with my Blackberry.

8. Full QWERTY Keyboard. This is cool for sms but it is not proprietary for Blackberry only. Cheap Nokia /SonyEricsson and others have this.
    the Blackberry Keyboard IS proprietary, and as a HEAVY user, they BB keyboard is the best currently on the market, especially for 1 hand use, I don't see why having a cheap other phone would even come close to offering the feedback that the Blackberry keyboard has to offer

9. Security. Most of us don�t share top governement secrets that would justify any needs for extra security. Even if you horn your wife, who really cares. And I guess your wife is not so technologically knowledgeable to break into your GPRS or GSM waves. Simple as that�.
    Now I agree, I am less concerned about the security of my BES/BIS because none of the things I think would make smart use of this exist, but I'd rather too much than not enough security

10. You are registered in a community like this because you have a passion with gadgets / a true hobbyist /�Cracker�. Blackberry is not made for you. It is made for the lazy �President� or �Business Man� who wants to pay the extra money in order to have everything preinstalled in the phone before he opens its box. This is what Blackberry is. A non tweakable device made for Push Emails and encrypted (secured) communication. Nothing more�..
    ?? Themes?? there is tones of customization available for Blackberry's what are you missing out on? I am a hobbyist / Businessman which is why I carry 2 blackberry's because I cant tweak and break one, but still have non stop communication with the other. because I have no need to ROOT a phone, or Jailbreak doesn't mean I don't like playing and tweaking,

If you made the mistake to buy an expensive blackberry, keep it for the GPS and Phone activities but if you really want to surf, buy one of those little cheap Intel Atom netbooks that can run Windows 7 or XP and install Firefox or GoogleChrome browser. Combine it with a normal data plan and a 3G USB modem�.
    How do I used those one hand? and where do I put them when I am on the beach? or jogging?

Seriously you might not have needs for a Blackberry but you didn't provide 1 real reason to ditch blackberry's
    11-05-10 06:38 AM
    Well...

10 reasons why not to get a Netbook over a BlackBerry.

1. One handed use.

2. Talking on the phone. Voip costs extra and doesn't count unless you plan to use gmail voice to talk and even that isn't connected all the time.

3. Texting. Email texting sucks.

4. Awesome keyboard. Have you tried typing on a netbook with one hand??

5. DBag factor. Have you seen people with netbooks? Yeah.

6. Power is less than brilliant.

7. Battery life. My BlackBerry can receive texts for up to hours at a time. Can your netbook?

8. BBM.

9. 5.0 megapixel camera. > 2.0 megapixel camera. According to my calculations.

10. Because we all said so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 06:44 AM
    I stopped reading after point #1. I, too, have a laptop (mounted in my car even) with an EVDO modem, and I still love my BlackBerry ... for all those times the laptop isn't practical. (For many, even car laptop use would be a bit excessive.) But I certainly don't do serious browsing from my phone; that's why I don't need an android or other wonder phone. But I do love push email. Right now I'm posting this reply from my BlackBerry, while in bed, because I'm too lazy to get my laptop.
    Last edited by T�nis; 11-05-10 at 07:53 AM.
    11-05-10 07:36 AM
    Did you also know BlackBerrys compress their data through that server and use significantly less data to do the same operation as other smartphones? This is important to people like me who get charged an arm and a leg for their data plan.

No smartphone physical keyboard is as responsive and tactile as a BlackBerry, I've tried many, and they don't hold a candle.

I use a Samsung N150 at work for reprogramming cars and I love it, its a bit slow and weak on capability, but its small and light and does the job I need it to do.... Just like my 9700 is small and light and does the job I need it to do. I don't watch two hour movies on my phone, and click on farting apps thirty times a day. I use my phone, as a phone, and as a messaging device, and it does both things very well, has amazing battery life, and doesn't look like something R2D2 **** out after eating too many circuit board pizzas.
    11-05-10 07:46 AM
    Hi guys. I understand all we have our own reasons for keeping a blackberry.

Your arguments are not politically wrong. I didn't say that BBs are not powerful.

Well, it all depends on the use and your lifestyle.

I personally have more need for a wireless broadband laptop and a regular mobile phone rather than a Blackberry for the reasons I explained.

****, I am now typing here using a BB......

11-05-10 07:55 AM
    Seriously you might not have needs for a Blackberry but you didn't provide 1 real reason to ditch blackberry's
    +1....fail
    11-05-10 07:58 AM
    <snip> These are the reasons that make blackberry a useless device and expensive,
    not only for me but for most of us:
    Hi guys. I understand all we have our own reasons for keeping a blackberry.

Your arguments are not politically wrong. I didn't say that BBs are not powerful.

Well, it all depends on the use and your lifestyle.

I personally have more need for a wireless broadband laptop and a regular mobile phone rather than a Blackberry for the reasons I explained.

****, I am now typing here using a BB......

you basically came out and said all of us should ditch blackberry, now you're saying OH me personally I don't have a need for one,

yaa for you,
    11-05-10 08:10 AM
    Please don't feed the trolls!
    Sorry... I agree that there is lots of good reasons to not own a BlackBerry, depending on your priorities. Just as there is lots of good reasons to not own an iphone, or an andriod phone, depending on what someone wants out of their communication device.

I just wish people would use truthful, valid points of argument when starting a negatively aimed thread in a forum for enthusiasts of a certain device. If your going to a sword fight, bring a big sword, and know how to wield it
    11-05-10 08:10 AM
    I'm not in business. I don't even have a paying job. I'm a homemaker, with three young children.

According to you business people are the only ones who could/should use a BlackBerry. Should I run to T-Mobile right now and turn mine in and get a dumb phone?

And why on God's green earth would I carry around something extra? My kids ask me questions about science and I google the answers on my phone. It's fast, it's easy. Can you imagine if my son asks me a science question and I say, "Hang on, Sweetie. Mommy needs to boot up her netbook to get your answer." Yeah. That'll work. Goodness knows I need to carry around extra gadgets.
    11-05-10 08:19 AM
    I can agree with some points that the OP is arguing. I do think on the whole, that there is a sizable number of smartphone users who really don't need a smartphone and there is a population of individuals who don't understand the purpose of smartphones. I would agree with you that a lot of smartphone users don't need push email. I do not believe that smartphones are made for heavy web browsing either. I have a coworker that only uses her BlackBerry smartphone for voice calls and SMS. That's a waste. But, there are many of us who really benefit from having an all-in-one device. Communication through various telecommunications modes is integral to my lifestyle and BBs assist in that. I also use the browser when I need to get information from the web quickly. I don't care so much about being able to view desktop versions of websites or seeing flash videos. I want to be able to Google things, check sports scores, and get the headlines from the Chicago Tribune. I do use the GPS, and I like using my camera to snap photos of my little girl and upload them to Facebook or email them as I take them. I mostly use the PIM functions of my phone. I love having an updated calendar on me at all times. But I suspect that many people don't use their BBs like I do. But I will say this in closing. People have the right to spend their money the way they like and do whatever they like with their phones. So it isn't our place to tell anyone that they don't use their devices the way they are supposed to or that they need to explore alternative ways to communicate and give and receive information.

11-05-10 08:37 AM
    Well...

10 reasons why not to get a Netbook over a BlackBerry.

1. One handed use.

2. Talking on the phone. Voip costs extra and doesn't count unless you plan to use gmail voice to talk and even that isn't connected all the time.

3. Texting. Email texting sucks.

4. Awesome keyboard. Have you tried typing on a netbook with one hand??

5. DBag factor. Have you seen people with netbooks? Yeah.

6. Power is less than brilliant.

7. Battery life. My BlackBerry can receive texts for up to hours at a time. Can your netbook?

8. BBM.

9. 5.0 megapixel camera. > 2.0 megapixel camera. According to my calculations.

10. Because we all said so.

11. Blackberry is easier to use than netbook while the person is standing, walking, etc.

11-05-10 11:09 AM
    Hi there,

I understand that each one of us has different points of view, and I honestly don't think that recommending a switch, especially here in Blackberry forum is a good idea. But I do believe that Samsung laptops are good too. But the difference here is that Blackberry is a smartphone.

Cheers!
    11-05-10 11:25 AM
    Let me revise the original post:

Ten reasons to dump your BlackBerry:
    1) You want to
    2) You want to
    3) You want to
    4) You want to
    5) You want to
    6) You want to
    7) You want to
    8) You want to
    9) You want to
    10) You want to

There! Because the OP was absolute subjective drivel. IMO of course.

Posted from my damn phone at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 11:29 AM
    ... and one critical reason to keep it.

1. Email and Messages delivered with the urgency of a Pager.
    11-05-10 11:38 AM
    I'm not in business. I don't even have a paying job. I'm a homemaker, with three young children.

According to you business people are the only ones who could/should use a BlackBerry. Should I run to T-Mobile right now and turn mine in and get a dumb phone?

And why on God's green earth would I carry around something extra? My kids ask me questions about science and I google the answers on my phone. It's fast, it's easy. Can you imagine if my son asks me a science question and I say, "Hang on, Sweetie. Mommy needs to boot up her netbook to get your answer." Yeah. That'll work. Goodness knows I need to carry around extra gadgets.
    I agree. Being a homemaker for a long time (I work now) it is very helpful to have a blackberry. It keeps you organized and on top of everything. Between school things, sports, friends stuff and your own stuff it is nice to have it all at your finger tips and with you all the time. Not to mention staying in contact with people while your on the go and never stoping.
    11-05-10 11:43 AM
    Does a netbook receive and make calls to and from non VOIP users?

11-05-10 01:28 PM
    ... and one critical reason to keep it.

1. Email and Messages delivered with the urgency of a Pager.
    I'd say the discussion ends with this. Well stated.
    11-05-10 02:11 PM
    Let me revise the original post:

Ten reasons to dump your BlackBerry:
    1) You want to
    2) You want to
    3) You want to
    4) You want to
    5) You want to
    6) You want to
    7) You want to
    8) You want to
    9) You want to
    10) You want to

There! Because the OP was absolute subjective drivel. IMO of course.

Posted from my damn phone at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is why you make the front page. May I also applaud your considerable restraint in this instance?
    11-05-10 02:32 PM
    Originally Posted by Reed McLay:
    "... and one critical reason to keep it.1. Email and Messages delivered with the urgency of a Pager"

I'd say the discussion ends with this. Well stated.
    I couldn't agree more. This is so well expressed that it's worth emphasizing and repeating.
    Last edited by T�nis; 11-05-10 at 02:49 PM.
    11-05-10 02:45 PM
    I like being able to use the internet anytime and anywhere. Try typing or web browsing while walking in Times Square in Manhattan (or anywhere really), it is not comfortable. My device can do the majority of what a computer can do, and on the go. I will take that over a netbook any day.
    11-05-10 06:18 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD