I know that to add contacts you can scan barcodes with BBM. My question is related to things other then BBM contacts. For example, got an email from Crackberry with a deal on a game I wanted to purchase. Now I could either click the link or scan the barcode. I used the BBM scanner, my phone read the barcode and beeped but nothing happened after that. Game didn't download or anything. Just wondering if I'm doing it right or is there another scanner for things like this.
    11-04-10 10:26 AM
    I found that the BBM scanner doesn't scan miscellaneous things anymore on the Torch like it did for my Bold 9700. I use ScanLife and it seems to work ok with the Torch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-10 04:38 PM
    BBM scanning just works for groups and contacts. You are supposed to scan other things with your camera, but doesn't it doesn't always work. I dl QR scanning and it works fine.
    11-04-10 06:23 PM
    I've been using ScanLife or something like that for barcodes and it works like a charm. It's my first time using barcode scanners on the BB, and I was a little skeptical, but it works fine. I've never used BB Messenger to scan codes. In fact, I didn't even know it had that capability.
    Last edited by PDADoc; 11-04-10 at 07:50 PM. Reason: misspelled product name
    11-04-10 07:49 PM
    Thanks everyone for the input. I wasn't sure if I needed a separate scanner or if I was doing something wrong.
    11-05-10 09:18 AM
    Also if you open app world it will provide you an option after clicking the BB button to scan a bar code. I have also been using the qr code scanner pro. Both work well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-10 10:04 PM
    Ahh... Leave it to a good ol' CrackBerry forums search to answer my question.

I got my Torch on the First, and the other day I tried using the Barcode scanner in BBM (as I do on my 9700, and 9530) - and was confused as to why it wasn't loading properly. Figuring I just needed a battery pull, I just did the link the old fashioned way and forgot about it...

Today, I'm on my PC, and I'm scrolling through my favorites and see my QR Code Generator. Suddenly remembering the issue I had, I tested it again. No gravy. Since then I've upgraded from the stock OS (Which I've totally forgotten what it was) to the .337 (and love it!). I was hoping that might fix the issue, but... Alas...

Does anyone have any speculation of if this is a feature oversight - or an intentional separation? I can see very little reason to -remove- such a feature, unless then plan on incorporating it into something else in the near future... But on that note, why would you remove it BEFORE incorporating it elsewhere?

Alas - now my hunt for a QR scanner begins. Does anyone know of a QR scanner that doesn't rely on the camera 'click' to scan it?
    (The BBM scanner, as soon as it's in focus, registers the QR code. When I tried the AT&T scanner on my 9700, I had to 'click' to take a picture, then the scanner scanned the picture, and if it didn't line up perfect - I had to launch the camera all over again.)

And now... I go hunt the forums to see if I can find anyone comparing different scanners.

----------
    Edit:
    And I found one. QR Code Scanner Pro, Free App from AppWorld (Utilities -> Utilities -> QR Code Scanner Pro).
    It scans without having to click "take a picture". Awesome. I'm happy now.
    Last edited by Shinrar; 11-09-10 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Answered my own question
    11-09-10 10:19 AM

----------
    Edit:
    And I found one. QR Code Scanner Pro, Free App from AppWorld (Utilities -> Utilities -> QR Code Scanner Pro).
    It scans without having to click "take a picture". Awesome. I'm happy now.
    Thanks for the tip on QR Code Scanner Pro. I had ScanLife, but it's crap (only worked 1/10th of the time, and hated that it needed to take a photo before could process the code!!)
    11-09-10 11:05 AM
    Thanks for the tip on QR Code Scanner Pro. I had ScanLife, but it's crap (only worked 1/10th of the time, and hated that it needed to take a photo before could process the code!!)
    You're welcome. That's what we're all here for!
    11-09-10 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD