Found a new way to lock the phone just like the way it locked before RIM changed it.

Everybody knows the new method of "standby" is the top left button but there is no way to force lock just like the good old days. If you press ALT then the Enter button, it locks!

I've only got it to work when you're on the home screen (All) with the tray closed.

Tested on 6.0.0.344
    11-03-10 07:05 PM
    I will check and post if it works! Does it work if you have a password enabled and you wanna unlock it, it prompts for a password?

Edit: It doesn't work for me
    11-03-10 07:08 PM
    I have a password on my phone and when I do the ALT + ENTER thing, it automatically goes to a screen with the Unlock then enter password thingie.
    11-03-10 07:10 PM
    It seems to work only if you have a password.
    11-03-10 07:11 PM
    Found a new way to lock the phone just like the way it locked before RIM changed it.

Everybody knows the new method of "standby" is the top left button but there is no way to force lock just like the good old days. If you press ALT then the Enter button, it locks!

I've only got it to work when you're on the home screen (All) with the tray closed.

Tested on 6.0.0.344
    ALT + ENTER works, great tip

I believe holding A down on OS5 used to password lock, as the top left button only keyboard locks now. I don't know why they changed this in OS6...
    11-03-10 07:13 PM
    doesnt work for me..
    but when i press ALT+enter a window pops up to select my input language (i have german input language installed)
    11-03-10 07:14 PM
    doesnt work for me..
    but when i press ALT+enter a window pops up to select my input language (i have german input language installed)
    Yea alt+enter is the switch to swap languages for older OS's. I think it's because I only have English installed on my phone, the trick works.
    11-03-10 07:16 PM
    Yea alt+enter is the switch to swap languages for older OS's. I think it's because I only have English installed on my phone, the trick works.
    it works now! =)
    just disable shortcut keys for language switcher and it will work
    11-03-10 07:21 PM
    With the home screen dialing off in OS5 you can: lock keypad holding A key(no password needed) you can lock your phone using alt+enter or K key(password needed to unlock) with password enabled.

Home screen dialing needs to be off for these shorcuts in OS5 ... nothing new here.
    Last edited by ShadowMonster2; 11-03-10 at 07:27 PM.
    11-03-10 07:24 PM
    No longer using OS 6, I'm going to wait for an official release. Thanks for the hints

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-10 07:28 PM
    Great find!
    11-04-10 03:15 AM
    Too Funny!!! I was just wondering if there was a hotkey to password lock. awesome find. ++
    11-04-10 09:29 AM
    Nice find!
    11-04-10 02:16 PM
    Alt+enter has always worked like that, even in OS5.

11-04-10 03:48 PM
    Nice find.

But at the end of it all its annoying you can have universional search and normal application shortcuts at the same time, they could easily do it by allowing press and hold shortcuts... but noooooooo! That would be the smart thing to do RIM!
    11-04-10 04:47 PM
    Nice find.

But at the end of it all its annoying you can have universional search and normal application shortcuts at the same time, they could easily do it by allowing press and hold shortcuts... but noooooooo! That would be the smart thing to do RIM!
    um, press-and-hold shortcuts are for speed dial.
    11-04-10 05:40 PM
    um, press-and-hold shortcuts are for speed dial.
    um, I'm aware! But there short of making us have to press two or more other keys how else would it work?

Why would you even need that many speed dial options? Heck I don't even use speed dial besides voice mail.
    11-05-10 02:22 AM
    um, I'm aware! But there short of making us have to press two or more other keys how else would it work?

Why would you even need that many speed dial options? Heck I don't even use speed dial besides voice mail.
    some power users use them. i have about 3/4 of my keys assigned to speed dials for friends and business. for the apps you need quick access to, just put them in your top row. do you honestly need to start and change apps that quickly?
    11-05-10 02:47 AM
    I've been able to do it in OD5 lol, but I prefer the old way, but at least OS6 has its own autolock feature and I don't have to rely on a 3rd party app

11-05-10 03:16 AM
    nice find... it works
    11-05-10 03:25 AM
    Not working for me after disabling the language chooser.

11-05-10 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD