Thinking of switching my plan to the EM+ without contract.

Saw the recent news that the 9780 will be coming to T-Mobile for $130 with 2-yr contract. How much do you reckon the 9780 would be without a contract? I believe the 9700 was originally $200 with a $449 unsubsidized price so I'm guessing similar to that..

Wouldn't mind if the unsubsidized price is $379 though
    11-02-10 09:36 PM
    I think the 9780 will be $449 without contract as same as the 9700. However, I also think that TMo will reduce the price of the 9700 once they release the 9780.

I am gonna buy it out of contract too IMO
    11-02-10 09:40 PM
    OP: I am also on the Even More Plus plan. Its a great plan. Best of all its unlimited data so you don't have to think in the back of your head "am I gonna go over my data"?

I also can see it going for around $450. As I recently learned you can break the payments up and have them go on your monthly bill which I am really considering. Of course buying off of eBay is an option.
    11-02-10 10:02 PM
    I know someone that works at a T-mobile store and she told me that they had stopped receiving shipments of the bold 9700.
    So I'm assuming that maybe the 9780 will simply replace the 9700 since it's not a new phone just a refresh.
    I assume it will be the same price as the 9700
    11-03-10 04:00 AM
    I was just wondering, if I get a tmobile branded 9780 and then unlock it and install an OS without the vendor.xml file.. Will that get rid of the t mobile boot screen and all the carrier icons and bloatware? Thanx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-10 11:56 PM
    I was just wondering, if I get a tmobile branded 9780 and then unlock it and install an OS without the vendor.xml file.. Will that get rid of the t mobile boot screen and all the carrier icons and bloatware? Thanx

No, the boot screen is part of the Boot ROM, and has nothing to do with the OS installed.

In order to remove/change the Boot logo, you have to do so with a VSM (Vendor/Splash/Media) file.

Changing the VSM is complicated the first time you do so, and I am not sure......, currently available VSM's may or may not be compatible with newer devices.

VSM's not only designate the carrier the phone is to be branded to, but that branding logo comes in several different sizes for different series's displays.

HOW to change VSM's is beyond the scope of this reply, and from what I can tell, the leaked software to do so is technically illegal to have/obtain unless you are an internal RIM developer.

If I was gonna take a risk and try replacing the vsm on a newer model device, i'd make sure to do so during the first couple days you have the phone, so that way it's still under warranty if you brick it.

If you get a vsm semi-working, and the phone has issues, its best to either flash back a vsm from the original carrier, so when they decide to "troubleshoot" the phone, its not obvious what you did........or, just wire a USB cable to an extension cord and "plug-in" your phone to 120vAC.......and watch it snap crackle and pop.....
    Last edited by azatru; 11-07-10 at 12:55 AM.
    11-07-10 12:50 AM
    No, the boot screen is part of the Boot ROM, and has nothing to do with the OS installed.

In order to remove/change the Boot logo, you have to do so with a VSM (Vendor/Splash/Media) file.

Changing the VSM is complicated the first time you do so, and I am not sure......, currently available VSM's may or may not be compatible with newer devices.

VSM's not only designate the carrier the phone is to be branded to, but that branding logo comes in several different sizes for different series's displays.

HOW to change VSM's is beyond the scope of this reply, and from what I can tell, the leaked software to do so is technically illegal to have/obtain unless you are an internal RIM developer.

If I was gonna take a risk and try replacing the vsm on a newer model device, i'd make sure to do so during the first couple days you have the phone, so that way it's still under warranty if you brick it.

If you get a vsm semi-working, and the phone has issues, its best to either flash back a vsm from the original carrier, so when they decide to "troubleshoot" the phone, its not obvious what you did........or, just wire a USB cable to an extension cord and "plug-in" your phone to 120vAC.......and watch it snap crackle and pop.....
    Thank you soo much that really cleared things up for me!

11-07-10 01:58 AM

I was just wondering apart from the boot up screen and the housing. What else does t-mobile brand? Like I'm just debating wether it will be an issue that would bother me if I bought a tmobile 9780 then unlocked it. What else is branded through out the software? Thanx

11-07-10 02:17 AM
    $449 is my guess after knowing canadian price of $499
    i dont mind of $399 tag as torch's $599 in CAN :P
    11-07-10 04:17 AM
    I know someone that works at a T-mobile store and she told me that they had stopped receiving shipments of the bold 9700.
    So I'm assuming that maybe the 9780 will simply replace the 9700 since it's not a new phone just a refresh.
    I assume it will be the same price as the 9700
    I was speaking with Customer Loyalty this evening, and he said the 9700 has been on backorder since November 3. Because I haven't upgraded in over 4 years, they are able to offer me the 9700 for free (with 2-year extension), but if the 9700 is on "permanent backorder", maybe they'll offer me the 9780 for free. Wishful thinking, I know.
    11-07-10 11:43 PM
    customer service offered me a 9780 upgrade price of $350 with no contract extension. my 2yr contract is up. upgrading online would cost me $450.
    12-24-10 07:04 PM
    I just ordered mine (having issues with the Vibrant) and upgraded to the 9780 for $249 with just 2 months into my contract, will sell the Vibrant for $350 when the 9780 arrives, made some money , but the price without contract is $449.95.
    12-24-10 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD