ATT refused to provide me with an unlock code even though I fully paid for the phone via my 2-yr contract. They claim that Blackberry refuses to give them unlock codes for the Bold 9000 and that it must forever remain branded to ATT.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing? ATT sent me an email confirming the policy.

So I purchased an unlock code and entered it as per the instructions. The phone said "code accepted."

Without finding someone willing to let me have their sim for another carrier, is there any other way to determine if in fact a BOLD 9000 is unlocked?

Or is using a sim for another carrier the only to test?

Is it possible for RIM to blacklist my phone now that it is unlocked?
    11-02-10 05:44 PM
    How do I determine if my BlackBerry is "unlocked"? - BlackBerryFAQ

Options - Advanced Options - Sim Card. Hit caps key, M, caps key E, caps key P, caps key D. The menu will show disabled in the status if it is unlocked.
    Last edited by pug.country.kennels; 11-02-10 at 06:33 PM.
    11-02-10 06:19 PM
    I don't think they'd blacklist it for that, seeing as I used a couple of 9000's and unlocked them through a third party, as you have done.

I never tried using another carrier's sim card in them, but the rep from the unlocker (a very reputable member here on Crackberry) assured me that the unlock code unlocks the phone and it remains unlocked, even if you wipe the phone.
    11-02-10 06:20 PM
    I'm using a 9000 on T-Mo, if that helps. Got an unlock code from one of the guys here in the Unlocking Forum. Never had any issues.

I would take the phone with you to the new company you want to sign up with and see if they will double-check it for you.

(Edit: My wife is also using a 9000 and my son's on an 8310 both unlocked from ATT, both with no data. T-Mo has great flexibility)
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 11-02-10 at 06:28 PM.
    11-02-10 06:26 PM
    How do I determine if my BlackBerry is "unlocked"? - BlackBerryFAQ

Options - Advanced Options - Sim Card. Hit caps key, M, caps key E, caps key P, caps key D. The menu will show disabled in the status if it is unlocked.
    Hey thanks - it shows as disabled so i guess it worked. thanks again.
    11-03-10 09:42 AM
    LOCKED PHONE

UNLOCKED PHONE

*SOME CARRIERS MAY LOCK SERVICE PROVIDER SECTION. IN THIS CASE A MEP4 CODE IS NEEDED.
    11-03-10 11:06 AM
    ATT also refused my unlock code request. Would you mind sharing the info where did you buy the unlock code for your BB?

Thank you!!

Tony

ATT refused to provide me with an unlock code even though I fully paid for the phone via my 2-yr contract. They claim that Blackberry refuses to give them unlock codes for the Bold 9000 and that it must forever remain branded to ATT.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing? ATT sent me an email confirming the policy.

So I purchased an unlock code and entered it as per the instructions. The phone said "code accepted."

Without finding someone willing to let me have their sim for another carrier, is there any other way to determine if in fact a BOLD 9000 is unlocked?

Or is using a sim for another carrier the only to test?

Is it possible for RIM to blacklist my phone now that it is unlocked?
    11-03-10 02:02 PM
    ATT also refused my unlock code request. Would you mind sharing the info where did you buy the unlock code for your BB?

Thank you!!

Tony
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f157/
    11-03-10 02:36 PM
    I called AT&T and said I was going overseas, would they unlock my Bold 9000 and in 5 minutes, I was unlocked. I'd try another ATT customer service rep.
    11-04-10 12:38 AM
    Carriers in the US generally provide unlock codes to their customers if they fulfill certain criteria. If not, then we can help you unlock it within minutes no problem

...but it sounds like a crock to me..Blackberry didn't ban them from unlocking anything. Its the carrier's decisions and policies
    11-04-10 07:10 PM
    you are probably right. but I spent $10 for the code and had it unlocked a lot quicker than making another phone call to ATT
    11-05-10 05:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD