Okay, so we already know that the TMo theme COD files have to be manually deleted from the Java folder...

So my question is, what else have people successfully deleted out of the OS6 java folder? On OS5 I always deleted out the VAD CODs, the VVM CODs, and the background and video CODs... So who has deleted what from this bad boy, cuz I really REALLY want to trim it down
    11-02-10 12:49 PM
    On OS 5 I removed just about everything using SAO including add-ins such as App World, BBM and Twitter. I always install them separately from the OS.

This is what I plan to remove before doing the install. I expect it will leave me with about 70Mb of file free:
    Attachment 75649
    11-02-10 01:11 PM
    A couple people have been reporting problems with Shrink-a-os and BBSAK on the OS6 files, so I'm going to delete out the CODs from the java folder the old fashioned way. I've always had great success on OS5 doing this, and I feel like it gives me a bit more control in exactly what I want to take out.

But thanks for the screen shot its given me lots of good ideas.
    11-02-10 01:23 PM
    Alright, I nuked all the VVM and VAD cods and I am not having any issues.

I was too scared to nuke the new OTA ringtone and video files, even though they're pretty big.

I also nuked all the theme cods except the main one, and I removed all the gmail cods, all the blackberry help cods, the tmobile support cods. With BBM, social feeds, ringtones, wallpaper, and videos still installed I fired it up with 95mbs. I reinstalled a bunch of third party apps, and am still sitting at 80mb but I think she's starting to leak a bit... we'll see.

Anyone else get brave and remove cods from this build?
    11-02-10 08:21 PM
    I deleted as much as I could, ringtones, wallpapers, vad, media files etc. I always delete
    The nabsync files too (carrier backup), I sync with google so its a waste for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 09:34 PM
    I deleted as much as I could, ringtones, wallpapers, vad, media files etc. I always delete
    The nabsync files too (carrier backup), I sync with google so its a waste for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Nice, I didn't know what the nabsync files were for, so I left them alone. Has anyone tried taking out the OTA files? I'm sure one of them has that sexy video from the boot up sequence in it.
    11-02-10 09:51 PM
    I've found shrinking OS6 quite easy.

Not installed it on my 9700 yet, but I managed to shrink the **** outta my 9780 version

Over 1200 files (95MB) dumped...

11-02-10 10:06 PM
    ^Nice!

What cods are for the startup video and setup wizard videos?

Thanks
    11-02-10 10:14 PM
    Nice Phil And thanks for the screenshot! Is there any files you've deleted that you shouldn't have? I've noticed a few new COD names I haven't seen before, and I'm a bit apprehensive about removing them.
    11-02-10 10:33 PM
    ^Nice!

What cods are for the startup video and setup wizard videos?

Thanks
    Those are the net_rim_bb_medialoader_toolkit_360x400 cods
    11-02-10 10:34 PM
    Nice Phil And thanks for the screenshot! Is there any files you've deleted that you shouldn't have? I've noticed a few new COD names I haven't seen before, and I'm a bit apprehensive about removing them.
    Yeah, several of them!!! Trial and error is how I did it

Deleted them one at a time, and if it went tits up... I put it back
    11-02-10 10:37 PM
    can any expert give advice on what CODs can be del from the OS6??? Wanna shrink to the maxs... Shrink-A-OS can't help much...
    11-03-10 08:09 AM
    When I tried this the size was stil 142mb. Nothing changed even with picking all the options based on the snapshot above. What am I doing wrong?
    11-03-10 08:37 AM
    Yeah, several of them!!! Trial and error is how I did it

Deleted them one at a time, and if it went tits up... I put it back
    Alright, you've inspired me... I'm gonna see how much I can chop this bad boy up

Maybe is psychological, but I find when I remove certain things (like VAD) I think the phone navigates a bit quicker too (I definitely found this on my 9530 when I removed things).
    11-03-10 08:48 AM
    When I tried this the size was stil 142mb. Nothing changed even with picking all the options based on the snapshot above. What am I doing wrong?
    I'm talking about going into the 'java' folder and moving or deleting files from it before installing the OS. I know there is lots of programs to do this, but I like actually doing it myself and seeing exactly what files I'm removing. A lot of it is common sense, RIM groups and names certain files that do certain functions the same or similar. For instance, grab every file with VAD in it, and you'll complete remove voice activated dialing. On older versions of the OS this used to affect the 'about' screen and not let you see it, but in every OS5 and OS6 I've done this to, nothing has happened except full removal of the voice activated dialing function.

HOWEVER, if you monkey too much, and remove the wrong thing, your OS will load, and your phone will brick, and then some people go into a cold sweat and start immediately losing hair and having convulsions... So if your faint of heart, please don't try this.
    11-03-10 08:54 AM
    Just what are those VAD cods for? I'm a total newbie to shrinking my OS so I'm not entirely sure what to delete safely and what everything does
    11-03-10 10:15 AM
    Just what are those VAD cods for? I'm a total newbie to shrinking my OS so I'm not entirely sure what to delete safely and what everything does
    VVM are visual voicemail cods, and are only relevant if your carrier supports it.

VAD are voice activated dialing cods, and I hate talking to my phone like it's a person.
    11-03-10 10:29 AM
    VVM are visual voicemail cods, and are only relevant if your carrier supports it.

VAD are voice activated dialing cods, and I hate talking to my phone like it's a person.
    Great. My carrier has no VVM and people think I'm crazy without talking to my phone so those have to go
    11-03-10 10:34 AM
    can this one be deleted without damage? is it the intro video?

net_rim_bb_mediaOTA_toolkit_360x400_9700_01.cod

thks
    11-03-10 12:00 PM

thks
    I was wondering this too, there is 3 OTA files I think? They are files with OTA in the media section that are huge. Someone on the massive finding and fixes thread said they lost all their ringtones with it... Has anyone else zapped these with success?
    11-03-10 12:13 PM

thks
    Yup, no problem
    11-03-10 12:13 PM
    thks i removed that one and the backgrounds only saved 8megs, oh and it just ask me upon reboot to fix sd card for errors and i said yes, i guess its ok loll
    11-03-10 12:20 PM
    whatever you do, don't remove OTA upgrade. This applies to OS 5 and OS 6

- Charles
    changragi likes this.
    11-03-10 12:26 PM
    whatever you do, don't remove OTA upgrade. This applies to OS 5 and OS 6

- Charles
    ...or the stock theme .cod
    11-03-10 12:34 PM
    loll yeah i know, was just concerned about the fixing of errors from my sd card, seems fine tho, i think i got that in os5 also once
    11-03-10 12:35 PM
320 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD