I just picked up a Torch with OS6 and I do like it. The browser is great (using webkit) and now sites like toronto.com - Toronto Restaurants, Events, Hotels, Attractions, Shopping, Movies, Bars, Clubs, Nightlife, City Guides, etc. render nicely! I had a Bold 9700 before.

However - since you cannot change the emulation of the browser (like you could in OS5), almost all of the sites I visit automatically route me to the mobile site/server. This includes (but is not limited to): cnn, tsn, espn, globe and mail, toronto star, etc. Arguably, the most popular sites viewed from mobile devices will have a corresponding mobile site!

These sites generally only have a fraction of what the regular sites have (content-wise) so I'm totally flabergasted that I cannot change the emulation setting to get to the 'real sites'. Even on my 9700, although the sites didn't necessarily render perfectly, most of the links would still show.

Is this really how RIM launced the 9800? On an iPhone or Android - you can view the 'real' sites and not have to revert back to the 'made for WAP' mobile sites. I feel like I've purchased a Corvette but can only use 1st gear!

Am I missing something? Please help me!
    11-01-10 05:13 PM
    Most sites will have a link to route to the main site and save your setting via cookie. You can generally find them at the bottom of the page. Rather than put the blame solely on RIM, properly designed mobile sites SHOULD have a link to the full site.
    11-01-10 05:18 PM
    Most sites will have a link to route to the main site and save your setting via cookie. You can generally find them at the bottom of the page. Rather than put the blame solely on RIM, properly designed mobile sites SHOULD have a link to the full site.
    You're kidding right? Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard RIM user, supporter and all out fan but to suggest that this is anyone elses fault other than RIM's is ridiculous.

A user should not have to find the "send to the non-mobile site" link on every page visit. This should be an option within the browser settings. Even if a user does select the "full site" link as soon as they clear their history this preference is removed.

Not allowing this was an over sight by RIM and will hopefully be corrected soon along with other flaws/annoyances in OS 6.

The blame in this situation has to rest solely on RIM's shoulders.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-10 06:00 PM
    You're kidding right? Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard RIM user, supporter and all out fan but to suggest that this is anyone elses fault other than RIM's is ridiculous.

A user should not have to find the "send to the non-mobile site" link on every page visit. This should be an option within the browser settings. Even if a user does select the "full site" link as soon as they clear their history this preference is removed.

Not allowing this was an over sight by RIM and will hopefully be corrected soon along with other flaws/annoyances in OS 6.

The blame in this situation has to rest solely on RIM's shoulders.
    I dont agree with you on this. Im not saying RIM shouldnt add the feature back in but any site that automatically directs you to a mobile page should give you the option to go back to the full site. Also if you read what I had posted, I said many of the sites that do it store your setting in a cookie once changed and clearing history has nothing to do with that. So you don't need to do it "every single page visit". So you have to do it once, is that a big deal? I never said it wasn't RIM fault, I said the sites should also have the option. If you are going to respond please read my post first.
    11-01-10 06:09 PM
    Considering browser detection is done (or not done) per site, blaming RIM might be a little shortsighted...

Unless you are suggesting they should have changed their user agent to something completely arbitrary like firefox, which would cause other problems...
    11-01-10 06:14 PM
    I agree that the blame can not be placed on RIM. As a web designer, whenever I setup a mobile site I always include a link to the full site.

The option to change the emulation was a great feature on past browsers and I would love to see it added to the webkit browser, but I'm not going to blame RIM for mobile sites that don't offer a link to the full site and that don't save the preference as a cookie.

Even if a user does select the "full site" link as soon as they clear their history this preference is removed.
    Clearing the history does not remove cookies unless you have cookies checked in the clear browsing data section of the browser options.
    11-01-10 06:23 PM
    I never meant to 'blame' RIM as I am a big fan and want to see the company succeed. I know they removed the browser emulation option to make it 'dummy proof' and enhance the user experience (according to the developer blog on blackberry.com). To make the Torch more like the iPhone, etc.

However, I am (along with probably alot of other BB users) a 'power' user and loved the fact that if I wanted to emulate IE to always go the full site, I had this option. In my mind, this was a great feature and now its gone.

Here's to hoping they put it back in!!
    11-01-10 07:32 PM
    I happen to appreciate my browser defaulting to mobile-friendly pages when they're available. If I need to do any serious browsing, I'm not likely to be doing it on my phone. However, if you really, really can't stand this feature, you may be interested in the Bolt Browser.
    11-01-10 08:35 PM
    Anyone on Tmobile with OS6 trying to use mobile banking with US Bank is out of luck. Just got off the line with US Bank customer service and they directed me to change the browser emulation to "Blackberry" in my browser. This is not possible in this current "leak" of OS6 for the 9700. Don't know if 3rd party browsers allow you to make this type change, but if anyone knows of one, I'll be glad to give it a try!
    11-04-10 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD