From the beginning, there has been weirdness about this BlackBerry when I plug it into the USB. Each time I would plug it in, Windows 7 would reinstall the device drivers for it, sometimes successfully, sometimes with a failure message. Always, though, the media card would open up in a window where I could access the usual folders (music, pictures, videos, etc.).

Also, pictures would only show the generic icon, never thumbnails of themselves like they did in my old 8330 and music album art wouldn't display in large icon view.

Today, though I ran into a problem which started when I attempted to upload a video I had shot to TwiVid via the BlackBerry TwitVid app. Normally, Twitter updates instantly with a link to the video. Today, it didn't, even after 20 minutes of waiting. I checked TwitVid's site on Bolt Browser and instead of a thumbnail preview of the video, there was a generic icon and the length of the video was shown as 0:00, indicating a corruption.

I tried to upload to YouTube and ran into the same thing.

When I got home, I plugged the Berry into the USB cable to try to get the video off manually, only to discover that although the hardware connected sound played, the media card didn't pop up in a window. When I checked in Explorer, the BlackBerry wasn't listed.

I fired up BlackBerry Desktop Software. It was able to connect to the BlackBerry, but couldn't access the media card.

I took the media card out, slid it into my laptop's card reader and was able to access it that way. I pulled everything off, returned the card to the BlackBerry and formatted it.

I plugged it into the computer again; still no read. I put the card back into my laptop's reader and restored the data that way.

And now, after a battery pull, the computer can access the card through the Berry again. And low and behold, I can view thumbnails of my JPEGs and album art too. Oh, sweet happy day!!!

Why, oh why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Was this problem an indication of low RAM? Does the Berry just need a battery pull every couple of days. What the H E double hockey sticks could have caused this?!!!!!!
    10-31-10 03:11 PM
    I also noticed a certain weirdness like this in the 8520. Maybe there is a big flaw like this in all 8500 series bb's?
    11-01-10 08:37 AM
    It seems like RIM didn't put a lot of care into the design of their 85xx series. I understand it's entry level, but a certain level of functionality is still an expectation.
    11-01-10 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD