This phone 9650 from Sprint came unlocked. I live in china and used my China mobile SIM card on the 9650. The phone works and I am able to place and receive calls but the edge does not switch to EDGE. I do have blackberry service and it works OK on my old blackberry 8700G. Can someone help?
    10-30-10 10:21 PM
    Are you running os5 or 6?

Go to options, advanced options, host routing table and "register now"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 10:35 PM
    Was the PIN released from Sprint?
    Original owner needs to call sprint, ask for it to be released and then YOU need to register the pin and imei with your provider, it is not as simple as pulling your sim out and just inserting it as your 8700 is the pin registered to your account right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 11:33 PM
    Thanks Fubaz -- I will do so and contact Sprint. What should I ask them to give me? Will they understand the PIN that I am asking for? You mentioned I would then need to give this PIN and IMEI# to the provider. My provider is China Mobile. Hope they will know what to do with this. Many Thanks for your help again!
    10-31-10 01:59 AM
    Just found out from the Sprint International user tech support that the 9650 is already unlocked and ready to use. He mentioned that having selected the GSM option under Status-MobileNetwork has already enabled my phone to be used with a China Mobile SIM card. No other PINS or codes are required. The registration needs to happen with Sprint only if you are going to use Sprint as your carrier. In summary, since the voice feature works with the China Mobile SIM card and the Blackberry e-mail does not (edge does not switch to EDGE) the tech agent suggested that I work with China Mobile to get that fixed. He also mentioned that I may want to switch the mobile network selection from "Automatic" to "Manual". Thanks again for your comments.
    10-31-10 08:12 PM
    I have a similar problem, i cant activate my 9650 on 3g... Anyone know why ?
    11-02-10 08:58 PM
    9650 is not 3G unless you are using it on 1XEV not EDGE. Edge is as fast as it goes on that network.

BBNSGN - have you installed any apps on your phone yet? Some applications i ahve found have caused my phone to bump off line. Also, i always close all apps when exiting has helped out a lot.
    Also, check under Mobile Network and change between Global and GSM/UMTS also may help get your data up and running.
    11-03-10 11:05 AM
    BuyBadNewsSellGoodNews- did u find a fix. im having the same problem but wit sprint 9630 on china mobile.
    12-18-10 04:26 AM
    The 9650 wi;l work on the most common 3g bands outside the US. Try to find which one your carrier uses. Its might also be that your carrier doesn't have the right service books as they don't carry that phone.
    Last edited by Mistik1973; 12-20-10 at 11:36 AM.
    12-18-10 08:48 AM
    Similar issue. I've posted this elsewhere so my apologies if I broke some rules.

Sprint 9650 Bold. I have been going to ShangHai monthly for 5 years. I go about 3 times a month & stay for 2 days.
    I have had a China Mobile sim card I have been using since 2005 and the voice and SMS work just fine. I added a small data package (not BIS/BES) about 5 months ago and have never gotten it to work. My phone always has "edge" and I am not roaming.
    If I take my sim card out and put it into an old 8100 I get data ok. If I put the sim card into an old Sony/Ericson I get data. I just can't get it on my Bold.

Went to China Mobile and compared one of their BB's to mine. I do not have the China Mobile service books. I've tried a hard reset several times and their SBs just don't get loaded.

I have been on the phone with Sprint, several times, and since it is not a Sprint sim card they say they can't run any diagnostics. They did send me 6 emails from "Activation Server" and told be they were for my service books and will help. I won't know until I go back in March.
    One rep said to make sure I select the 2G option. I have been using the 3G/2G option.
    Another rep said the Bold might simply be incompatable with their system. I wonder if my 5 year old sim card is a different technology.

Any suggestions?
    George747
    02-21-11 07:12 PM
    Similar issue. I've posted this elsewhere so my apologies if I broke some rules.

Sprint 9650 Bold. I have been going to ShangHai monthly for 5 years. I go about 3 times a month & stay for 2 days.
    I have had a China Mobile sim card I have been using since 2005 and the voice and SMS work just fine. I added a small data package (not BIS/BES) about 5 months ago and have never gotten it to work. My phone always has "edge" and I am not roaming.
    If I take my sim card out and put it into an old 8100 I get data ok. If I put the sim card into an old Sony/Ericson I get data. I just can't get it on my Bold.

Went to China Mobile and compared one of their BB's to mine. I do not have the China Mobile service books. I've tried a hard reset several times and their SBs just don't get loaded.

I have been on the phone with Sprint, several times, and since it is not a Sprint sim card they say they can't run any diagnostics. They did send me 6 emails from "Activation Server" and told be they were for my service books and will help. I won't know until I go back in March.
    One rep said to make sure I select the 2G option. I have been using the 3G/2G option.
    Another rep said the Bold might simply be incompatable with their system. I wonder if my 5 year old sim card is a different technology.

Any suggestions?
    George747
    First off, what OS version are you running?

If it's OS6, then that may be your problem...for some reason.. APN settings for GSM carriers do not work with OS6 (I've tested it with an AT&T SIM I have with prepaid data and it didn't work until I downgraded to OS5 again)
    02-21-11 09:44 PM
    Hi All,

This seems to be a common problem. I am also facing a similar problem on my 9650 on Vodafone in India. I got my BB from the US and it is a Sprint handset. The device is unlocked however and I also had BB services running from Nov to untill recently when the Vodafone guys asked me to change my SIM. Ever since I have done that I have not seen EDGE on my screen :-(

If any one of you has a fix. Please let me know. As mentioned by BBNSGN, my SIM works fine in other BB devices which the guy at Vodafone Store tried and even other BB activated SIMs do not catch the EDGE network on my phone :-(..

Please help.

-Deepak
    03-31-11 11:08 PM
    ok first thing is backup, wipe and reregister...then do battery pull...
    05-12-11 11:50 AM
    Hi All,

This seems to be a common problem. I am also facing a similar problem on my 9650 on Vodafone in India. I got my BB from the US and it is a Sprint handset. The device is unlocked however and I also had BB services running from Nov to untill recently when the Vodafone guys asked me to change my SIM. Ever since I have done that I have not seen EDGE on my screen :-(

If any one of you has a fix. Please let me know. As mentioned by BBNSGN, my SIM works fine in other BB devices which the guy at Vodafone Store tried and even other BB activated SIMs do not catch the EDGE network on my phone :-(..

Please help.

-Deepak

Hi Deepak, I recently bought a 9850 unlocked (Sprint Network) I found that I had to switch Mobile Options to GSM / UMTS and set Network Mode to 3G&2G to get it to work properly on Airtel's network. It's working fine now with one exception . . . I've got 3G showing and all BIS services are working well but it doesn't show Airtel as the network instead I get "Activation Required". I believe I'll need the SPC MSL Code to remove this . . . Other than that the phone seems to be working fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-25-11 04:15 AM
    If the carrier is supporting Blackberry data plan and you have undated service books i think you will get 2G at least.
    09-26-11 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD