I'm running a Torch on Orange in the UK. I have poor signal so use wifi to obtain internet and UMA on my handest.

However, when I download/upload something large (eg I dl an app or send an email with a large photo attachment from the 5mp camera) the down/up load cuts out midway through. My pc simultaneously shows that the internet signal has dropped (typically to local only) and other devices using the wifi (eg ps3) also lose internet signal.

My wifi is otherwise totally reliable and does not cut out - this is definitely not a coincidence!! It is definitely the down/up loads that cause signal from the router to drop.

My router is a BT home hub 2.0 and I used to do the same thing on my Curve 8900 but had no problems at all. Although the devices mentioned lose internet signal, the router itself remains normal (all lights lit.) A simple router restart cures the problem but I always lose the thing I am down/up loading and hence it's very annoying!

Any help much appreciated!
    10-30-10 08:17 PM
    I would recommend rebooting your router/updating the firmware or lastly, set it to default and see if the problem still exists. Also, try updating to the latest leaked torch OS.
    10-30-10 08:20 PM
    Though this is a very hard problem to solve I must say I faced exactly the same problem. Is it a coincidence ? Ive been all day long asking myself that question, the problem is there are too many factors to isolate the culprit. But definetly I had EXActly the same situation hre. To solve it I had to reboot my wi fi router, which I must say fails very seldom but it does fail.
    Also my isp some days is very unstabe so it's very hard to tell if the problem is thee torch.

I think time will tell. Would love to read more people has this annoyance, they'd sove it faster

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jsonnen; 10-30-10 at 09:50 PM.
    10-30-10 09:45 PM
    You could try running WireShark on your PC to see what is happening. I am sure it can monitor wireless these days. It is a great tool and FREE!

10-30-10 10:22 PM
    I had a similar issue, but only once that may have been related to the phone, and that was right after a reboot following a BB OS upgrade. I thought it was odd that I lost my network (wired and wireless) as soon as the phone came back up, but a quick reboot of the router fixed it and I haven't had the issue again. That was not the first time my router went belly-up -- in fact for awhile it was almost a weekly occurrence if I didn't reboot my cable modem regularly (several months before I got the Torch). The last time could have been the phone, or the router may just have burped again for some other reason. Or maybe it's telling me that it's time to step up to 802.11n...
    10-30-10 10:51 PM
    It happened again and definetly it is when tryng to download a big chunk. Definetly has to do with doing things with the torch. Only rebooting the router solves it.

I gues maybe is something related to working with 802.11N but there is no way to force the torch back to G. For those interested my router is a D-link model DIR-635. Well this router was outdated long ago and it says it's compatible with "drat" 802.11N. I guess I'll have to update my router. So much for backwards compatibility

Last edited by jsonnen; 10-31-10 at 06:57 AM.
    10-31-10 06:47 AM
    I have a linksys wrt610n dual band router and have had no issues with 5 wifi devices and 3 wired devices connected to it(2 running on G, and 3 running on either 20mhz N or 40mhz N). I do remember reading something a while back in this forum about a specific D-link router and it resetting every time the torch connected.

On a side note...
    Can you force your router to only use G band to see if it is the N band that's causing it to crash? The torch will use G if that's all that's available.
    10-31-10 07:30 AM
    Glad (no offence!) that there's someone out there with the same issue. It's so annoying as although a router reboot "solves" the problem, in the sense that the internet is revived, I still lose whatever it is I was up/downloading. I then have to start the up/download again, but of course the same thing happens! So I effectively cannot download any apps/send large emails at home!!!

What's worse is that I make calls using UMA....and after a certain amount of time the same thing happens so the call cuts out.

I'll try the possible suggestions and see if any help!

Thanks
    11-01-10 08:36 AM
    It happened again and definetly it is when tryng to download a big chunk. Definetly has to do with doing things with the torch. Only rebooting the router solves it.

I gues maybe is something related to working with 802.11N but there is no way to force the torch back to G. For those interested my router is a D-link model DIR-635. Well this router was outdated long ago and it says it's compatible with "drat" 802.11N. I guess I'll have to update my router. So much for backwards compatibility

I've run across instances when a wireless device (like the Torch) would cause the wireless router to freeze/reboot. In both cases, it was the router with the problem.

One was a Sonicwall firewall that needed a firmware upgrade to resolve.

The other was the D-Link router at my home (might be same model as yours). I had to change some settings in my D-Link to fix it, plus adjust a setting in my Symantec Endpoint software. Fairly obscure setting and I don't remember it offhand. It did have something to do with the router's wireless radio rebooting itself because of the polling when various wireless devices called it (in my home's case, a Wii and iPhone).
    11-01-10 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD