I'm just wondering, do you guys think the Playbook will still have laggy movements like when switching between cards or applications as seen on the demo, or is that just because it is not a finished product yet?

I really believe that if the Playbook is as it was demoed that many people will be disappointed, everything looks great but it has to run with iPhone-like fluidity to really make an impact imo.

What do you guys think?

(in case you havent seen the video )
    10-28-10 10:55 PM
    Seriously....

The playbook will be released Q1 or 2011. That's 2+ months. You better believe with the power it has that it won't lag. Also note, the iPad doesn't run on multitasking. The demo'd playbook was running a significant amount of things at once. Give it time and it'll be fine.
    10-28-10 11:34 PM
    The OS is a consideration too. Once they get it polished a bit more it should be fine. The Torch came out with a premature OS and suffered as a result, but after a month or so software updates were released that made it as fluid as any other phone out there.

I think that's why RIM is waiting until early next year to release the PlayBook. It'd be foolish on their part to make the same mistake twice.
    10-29-10 01:59 AM
    Few miliseconds lag with 6 apps wins over running 1 app at a time any day. It did pretty good considering what he was running in the background, specially for a prototype/pre-release version.
    10-29-10 02:21 AM
    well for a product thats still months away from launch, I think it was okay. To be honest with you, no matter what RIM did you're going to have people disappointed with it no matter which way they went and I think what they did was the best way. Get it out early and make sure its done Q1 2011. Get the word out, get the developers excited, have a product with support backing it when released. Good move all round. just make sure the price isn't ridiculous
    10-29-10 07:18 AM
    I'm just wondering, do you guys think the Playbook will still have laggy movements like when switching between cards or applications as seen on the demo, or is that just because it is not a finished product yet?

I really believe that if the Playbook is as it was demoed that many people will be disappointed, everything looks great but it has to run with iPhone-like fluidity to really make an impact imo.

What do you guys think?

(in case you havent seen the video )

I think you worry too much. If you see the shipping version (next year) with your own two eyes, and still find it laggy, THEN you can worry (or just not buy one). RELAX!
    10-29-10 09:26 AM
    Im still going to buy the PlayBook regardless of lagging or not! I hope it comes out earlier than March though. They need it to come out before the iPad 2.
    11-02-10 11:31 AM
    I think you worry too much. If you see the shipping version (next year) with your own two eyes, and still find it laggy, THEN you can worry (or just not buy one). RELAX!
    Yes, the shipping version will most likely be much better.
    11-05-10 10:38 AM
    Maybe this isn't particularly germane but I just loaded the leaked OS 6 onto my BB Pearl 9100 and it's smooooooth. If RIM can do that for an already released product, I don't think that the PlayBook will function any less smoothly. I highly doubt there will be much lag in the PB if there will be any to speak of at all...
    11-06-10 05:42 PM
    Maybe this isn't particularly germane but I just loaded the leaked OS 6 onto my BB Pearl 9100 and it's smooooooth. If RIM can do that for an already released product, I don't think that the PlayBook will function any less smoothly. I highly doubt there will be much lag in the PB if there will be any to speak of at all...
    especially because QNX is the playbook's OS, RIM probably didn't have too much hand in its design
    11-06-10 09:49 PM
    The OS is a consideration too. Once they get it polished a bit more it should be fine. The Torch came out with a premature OS and suffered as a result, but after a month or so software updates were released that made it as fluid as any other phone out there.

I think that's why RIM is waiting until early next year to release the PlayBook. It'd be foolish on their part to make the same mistake twice.
    This is a good point but just to play devil's advocate - RIM has done this on multiple occasions; 5.0OS for the 9000, 4.7 on the Storm 9500 series, 5.0 on the 9550 series, 6.0 on the Tour.

To their defense though pushing the Torch needed to happen quickly because of the iPhone release.

I do agree though, I don't think on a product line (especially one running QNX based) that is so different and a "leap" for RIM that they can afford to do that again. I wouldn't be concerned I have full faith that the PlayBook will be impressive when released.
    11-07-10 01:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD