OK, I've found a really bizarre issue with my Torch: Every time I do a reset or pull the battery, when the device boots up and sends a text message to "44608". The only reason I discovered this is because it showed up in my monthly Rogers bill as a charge. I don't text, so that set off alarm bells.

44608 is apparently a "premium" txt service, but Rogers wasn't able to say where the message is being sent. And while I'm getting charged for the outgoing message, it's the standard 15 cents a message that Rogers charges for each SMS message.

I installed PhoneLog onto my device to record exactly when these are happening, and that's how I discovered that an Outgoing SMS is sent out with the reboot.

The only thing I'm thinking of is this is related to software I installed -- and I've installed a lot -- though I never had this issue with my previous Bold 9000 and I haven't installed anything new since switching those devices. And the SMS messages started on Sept. 30, the day I got the phone when there were no programs installed beyond those that came with the phone.

The other possibility is that this is sending a message to RIM's server perhaps?

Anyone have any experience with this, and tips on how to solve?
    10-26-10 06:36 PM
    Are you sure it's not an incoming text like in this thread?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/44...ia-txt-523024/
    10-26-10 06:42 PM
    Absolutely positive. My Rogers bill identifies it as an outgoing SMS, and when I look at the PhoneLog it is also showing as an Outgoing message.

Plus, I'm not having anything show up in the "Incoming" SMS mailbox. I did see his error --- wondering if it's the same thing, but somehow he's disabled the outgoing message and it's essentially "bouncing back". I've messaged him.
    10-26-10 07:09 PM
    Starting off: Is your phone from Rogers (that is, not AT&T or some other carrier)?

In Canada, the short-codes beginning with "4" are carrier specific. Maybe someone at Rogers would know. (Insert laughtrack here.) But if you are getting charged, you may be able to phone their customer service line, reboot the phone, and have them watch as the text message goes through. And/or have them reverse the charges.

You can also try to turn off the mobile network, reboot, and see if it is showing up in the outbox, and maybe see what it contains.

If you're not getting errors from it, try sending a text message "help" or "info" or "stop" and see if there's a reply.

If Rogers seems reluctant or resistant to investigate, might I suggest you filing a complaint (or threatening) with CCTS.

You can also look around txt.ca (TXT Splash) for someone to contact, but that's where I found the link to CCTS.
    10-27-10 02:49 PM
    I'm on Rogers. The phone is an unlocked Bell. I did try technical support but I think they're stumped. They suggested a wipe and to call them back, thinking it may be an app I added. They said the 44608 is a "premium" text, not a person, but they have no clue what company is behind it.

I've since wiped the handheld, done a factory reset and installed the OS (the Rogers one, this time). I'm still getting the SMS message.

I have more details on the message, though. It's sending the following to 44608.

"Message: SE:t=1c34;M=1"

Thinking it's something embedded into the phone; perhaps a monitoring program for RIM or something. It may be better to swap for another phone.
    10-28-10 05:56 AM
    I have more details on the message, though. It's sending the following to 44608.

"Message: SE:t=1c34;M=1"

Thinking it's something embedded into the phone; perhaps a monitoring program for RIM or something. It may be better to swap for another phone.
    That would most likely be Bell's Visual Voicemail.
    11-09-10 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD