Well.........The price I pay for buying a pre-release phone.

I've had a 9780 for about 2 months now. A couple days ago my data stopped working (phone continues to work so I can make/receive calls). I called my service provider (who contacted RIM). I ended up on the phone with RIM who informed me that the PIN has been locked indefinitely due to the phone being a pre-release model which is not publically available. They said there is nothing they can do - basically I have a paperweight.

Anyone else experience this? Any idea if the PIN might be re-activiated after the phone is officially released? The person I spoke to at RIM said it is possible but could not guarantee.
    10-26-10 12:31 PM
    From what I understand, RIM does this to pre-release, engineering, and testing devices and it is never undone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-10 12:48 PM
    HA im sorry that im not very helpful but that made me laugh... really sucks!!!
    10-26-10 12:53 PM
    It has begun...
    10-26-10 12:57 PM
    What's beginning? People whining about being locked knowing very well they should not even have in their possession something like a pre-production device?
    10-26-10 01:02 PM
    Sell it on Ebay as a PIN locked, useless 9780, it's not completely worthless....and will still get some cash.
    10-26-10 01:26 PM
    That sucks wickey

...although we all knew it was a possibility from day one
    10-26-10 01:41 PM
    I have had 5 different pre-release units (different models) and not one has ever been locked. They are still working today. I think if they were stolen they would.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 10-26-10 at 02:51 PM.
    10-26-10 02:39 PM
    What's beginning? People whining about being locked knowing very well they should not even have in their possession something like a pre-production device?
    LOL!
    Kinda makes you sound jealous!
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 10-26-10 at 02:43 PM.
    10-26-10 02:41 PM
    send me..ill check & get away. man! you must be half dead
    10-26-10 03:06 PM
    Sorry to hear about that!

Hopefully this means it's coming soon

10-26-10 03:09 PM
    That sux. Would they release the PIN after launch? ??
    10-26-10 04:15 PM
    Is it possible to use a regular data plan and bypass BIS with a locked PIN?

Would my phone receive data from a regular data plan via APN? I don't really care about BIS - I don't use messenger and I'm sure I could install a third party email push....

Anyone have any experience doing this on a BB?
    10-26-10 05:16 PM
    Is it possible to use a regular data plan and bypass BIS with a locked PIN?

Would my phone receive data from a regular data plan via APN? I don't really care about BIS - I don't use messenger and I'm sure I could install a third party email push....

Anyone have any experience doing this on a BB?
    Impossible.

That's all.
    10-26-10 07:36 PM
    I don't think it's impossible. I'm already part way there.

I tried it with another SIM card I have which has a regular data plan (not BIS). I enabled apn on my 9780 and I now have web browsing working on the phone. Now I just need to find a third party email push.

10-26-10 09:21 PM
    Are you actually surprised they locked you out?

10-26-10 11:09 PM
    Yes I am surprised it was locked. This is the third pre-release blackberry I have owned over the last few years. All 3 came from the exact same source.
    I had a 9700 pre-release and the PIN never got locked.
    This is the first time a pin has been locked on me.
    10-27-10 12:43 AM
    Perhaps it was locked out because it is a pre-released device and not meant for public use? /facepalm

10-27-10 12:54 AM
    Perhaps it was locked out because it is a pre-released device and not meant for public use? /facepalm

Plenty of people have pre-release Blackberry's that don't get locked. All you need to do is spend 5 minutes reading through the boards to see how common it is.
    10-27-10 01:04 AM
    I had a pre-release Storm with a locked PIN, I just called RIM, told them my story, and they unlocked it. Give it a try AFTER RELEASE!

10-27-10 05:29 AM
    It didn't seem like he was whining at all. Seemed like he was seeking help for his problem, or otherwise he just has a dead paperweight. Comments like this jumping down peoples throat without warrant is why this forum site remains a war-ground.

10-27-10 05:46 AM
    It didn't seem like he was whining at all. Seemed like he was seeking help for his problem, or otherwise he just has a dead paperweight. Comments like this jumping down peoples throat without warrant is why this forum site remains a war-ground.

+1, people asking for opinions and advice are not whining.
    10-27-10 07:37 AM
    lol... thats the reason i had mine for a month or so and then swapped it back out at the shop i got it from for a torch! woohoo! now im gonna swap this for the retail of this one now.
    10-27-10 02:46 PM
    Its always a risk with pre release devices. If you were willing to take the risk and buy it then you should accept the consequences instead of blaming RIM
    10-28-10 03:43 PM
    Am I missing something? Was I blaming RIM? In fact quite the opposite.....

Considering the first comment I typed at the beginning of the forum said "the price I pay for buying a pre-release phone"...hardly complaining or whining as one other person suggested.......

People....before you make stupid comments...use what intelligence you have and read the thread........I was not whining nor complaining....I was using the forum for the primary purpose of it! - for Knowledge sharing, suggestions, comments and feed-back....

btw - I purchased my phone from a licensed blackberry dealer - I went there to purchase a 9700 and they sold me a 9780 ....I had no idea at the time that this could have happened as I have purchased other pre-release phones from the same company in the past with no issues.

They are replacing my pre-release 9780 with a retail release version

Regards
    10-29-10 06:10 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD