I'm currently a BB fanatic, having gone from a Curve to my current Tour. The only BB that is tempting me now is the Torch but it's on a different carrier anyway so it's a moot point. (I'm on Sprint so iPhone or Torch I'd have to jump ship to AT&T either way).

I just got an iPod Touch and kill me now, I'm falling in love with it but am not loving the idea of having two devices with me so I'm toying with the idea of switching over to a 32gig iPhone. It may not even be a great idea since I may just want to have the versatility of the BB for certain things and just keep the iPod Touch for the media stuff but ........I digress.

My main question is for those who do use an iPhone but who used to be BB users: How was the switch from a qwerty keypad to a touch keypad? I am having a VERY hard time getting used to typing on the iPod Touch screen and wonder if I'll EVER get used to it enough that I won't regret switching over to an iPhone.
    10-24-10 10:43 AM
    Typing on a touchscreen is a subjective matter. Some people take to it like a duck to water, others, not so much. Since you already have an iPT, you can get some experience on that. The secret to typing on iOS is to trust the autocorrection. It helps a lot with things like typos and misspellings. When I first got an iPhone over 2 years ago, it took me about a week to get used to it. Since then though, I probably type just as fast or faster than I did on my BB.
    10-24-10 11:58 AM
    Yes, but that's not helpful with proper names, I'm noticing. I also feel like I have impossibly fat little fingers all of a sudden as I'm always hitting the next key it seems. I wonder if that's something you overcome quickly or if some just never get used to it. I guess I just keep on playing with my ipod Touch and see how it goes before making any decisions. I would just hate the idea of being stuck with the ipod touch when I could return it and just get the iPhone and be done with it and convert to the dark side and get it over with. Ya know, like I swore I would never do in the past when I went with PC, Creative Zens and BlackBerry all the way?
    10-24-10 12:21 PM
    Touchscreen isn't for everyone. Some people never get used to them. It's just the way it is. For proper names, if you create contacts for them, it will also auto-fill them.
    10-24-10 12:55 PM
    Touchscreen isn't for everyone. Some people never get used to them. It's just the way it is. For proper names, if you create contacts for them, it will also auto-fill them.
    You just had to tell me that, right?

One thing I've noticed is that anything Apple is just 1000 x more user friendly. I didn't even realize I set my iPod Touch up to synch with my calendar but when I turned it on it suddenly reminded me that it was my brother's birthday today. Granted the BB does everything and I still am thinking that it's a more "serious" smartphone (a notion that may fade by the day.....I'm not sure yet..lol) but you DO have to program the heck out of it and MAKE it work for you FIRST. This iPod just kinda.......hmmmm, seamlessly anticipated m'needs quite nicely.

Just another thing that annoys yet sucks me in about Apple. I always hated how you had to practically marry iTunes but dang, it sho is turning out to be mighty fun. :-

They make slaves out of you but ..........happy slaves. I don't know whether to be mad or shake their hands and say "well done, I'm impressed. Sucked in and a shameless zombie but impressed nonetheless."

Still on the fence about touch typing vs a physical QWERTY keypad and then there's the whole switching carriers deal so I'd best take my time but I wanted to survey the peanut gallery and get some feedback. I know many people have never been able to make the switch from a physical keypad to a touch screen and regretted the switch. I may have to just carry around a BB and an ipod.
    10-24-10 01:03 PM
    Once your iPhone is activated, and you jailbreak it, for all intents and purposes, you can easily avoid iTunes. You can sync contacts via a number of services including Exchange. Same with calendars. You can move files back and forth via WiFi using openSSH. I use iTunes because I find it easier. If I thought the other methods were easier, I would have migrated long ago.
    10-24-10 01:25 PM
    I actually like iTunes. I was shocked but I don't mind it. I think back a few years ago, maybe there were more restrictions on ipods and iTunes? Not sure about the details but I'm almost positive I'm remembering something about not being able to easily add content like you can now which is why I had inititially gone with Creative Zen mp3 players.

However, as I previously said, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at Apple's ability to lure people into becoming Apple zombies since it's actually quite an enjoyable ride as I've unfortunately (fortunately?) recently just discovered.

The ease of use plus that nice big purty screen? It's a tough thing to resist. lol
    10-24-10 01:45 PM
    I think getting the iPhone would be fine for you. It is a great device and probably the best all around device on the market. The typing on the touchscreen will take some getting used to, but it can and will be done. If you like the iPod touch then you will love the iPhone 4. You had mentioned that you regarded your BB as a serious smartphone. I the iPhone is a serious smartphone, too. It does just about everything that a BB does, it just does it in a different way. It would be a great move for you seeing as though you seem to already be leading that way. But there will be a lot of little things that you will miss about your BB and you will have to determine whether all of those little things make such a big difference. It did for me. That's why I have a BB now. But I loved my iPhone, it just wasn't the best fit for me in the long run.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-10 01:49 PM
    +1 ^

I went from long term BB user to the iPhone 4 a few weeks ago. At least for me it has been a very easy and smooth transition. I still love BB but as the OP suggested I did not want to carry two devices. I have not even jailbroken my phone and find that the phone suits my needs perfectly. Trusting the auto correction was difficult at first but once you do it it works great. I am not one who relies heavily on email but I have found that I pretty much receive all of my emails the same as I did on my BB. The two biggest things I miss are BB Messenger and the Notifications. Something about that little red blinking light! Lol. Browsing is fantastic on this phone. The browsing on the Torch I had for awhile was good too but at least for me on the iPhone is a bit smoother and looks great with the retina display. Battery life has been a non issue for my typical usage and is on par with what I was getting with the Torch. For now I am very pleased with the phone but that is not to say I will not switch back to BB if there are future advances with the OS.

10-24-10 02:13 PM
    But there will be a lot of little things that you will miss about your BB and you will have to determine whether all of those little things make such a big difference. It did for me. That's why I have a BB now. But I loved my iPhone, it just wasn't the best fit for me in the long run.

I have to ask..........what were those things that you ended up missing so much from the BB that you ended up going back? I really DO love my BB Tour. It's not that I am not totally satisfied with it. I just am not loving the idea that I can't have it all in one device.........a ton of music, a nice selection of video for those times that I am stuck somewhere (airport, etc) and......a nice decent size screen to view it all on for texting, emailing, web browsing and yes, blah, occasionally, phone use. I have a micro sd card in my BB but again, it's that beautiful screen, the ease of use with iTunes that is going to have me now walking around with TWO constants.........a BB Tour AND an iPod Touch from now on that I do not particularly like.

Plus, I'm a photographer and just purchased the iPad for work. That's how I got sucked in for the iPod.........I really wanted one but it wasn't a real need. The iPad I could justify because it's quite a great tool for a modern day portfolio to show clients and it's small and portable but not so dinky as an ipod. Then I just threw caution to the wind and threw the iPod Touch in there figuring, I'll get a 16 iPad for work and the 64gig touch for my own personal use and storage for all my songs and some videos and just keep it with me since it's so tiny.

Well, now I find myself, like a big *****, with that constant companion ALONG with my usual pal, the BLACKBERRY, wondering if I should just pare it down to just the ONE smartphone and occasionally taking the iPAD with me for business meetings.

Get it? I'm trying to a) not have anything extra to LOSE b) not have one more "screen" my husband can accuse me of staring at and not paying attention to him (lol) and c) not look like a complete gadget head. However, I'm not going to switch long time carriers AND hate the platform just to have one constant gadget vs two if it's not a good fit. It's not like I MUST have my "tunes and vids" with me at all times. I'm not 15.

But I cannot lie...........these ipod Touch thingies are like my BB Tour only 100x more packed with fun stuff. LOL I will not be able to help myself and I WILL carry them both around like a complete moron. I'm trying to spare myself.

I've even considered the Torch or the Storm but even I know they won't compare.
    10-24-10 02:17 PM
    i have had many many iphones/ipod touches and currently have the iphone 4 and i hate the typing and auto correct. if the iphone had a real keyboard it would be damn near perfect.
    10-24-10 02:31 PM
    A definite deal breaker might be the price of these plans. I get everything and then some with Sprint for a decent amount and I can't believe all these extra charges AT & T want for EVERYTHING. That's a big turn off for me. I'm only not sure about just how MUCH data I would really be using and I always tend to assume on the large side just to be safe. But honestly, you have to pay to have voice dialing? That's not excessive in anyone else's mind? GPS is extra, too?

Might be liking my lil blackberry after all. and keeping my iPod Touch for playing around. I do not like the extra charges for data. Just rubs mommy the wrong way. lol
    10-24-10 05:14 PM
    A definite deal breaker might be the price of these plans. I get everything and then some with Sprint for a decent amount and I can't believe all these extra charges AT & T want for EVERYTHING. That's a big turn off for me. I'm only not sure about just how MUCH data I would really be using and I always tend to assume on the large side just to be safe. But honestly, you have to pay to have voice dialing? That's not excessive in anyone else's mind? GPS is extra, too?

Might be liking my lil blackberry after all. and keeping my iPod Touch for playing around. I do not like the extra charges for data. Just rubs mommy the wrong way. lol
    ATT's plans arent all the bad. 450 anytime minutes, unlim texting, and data is about $85 and $8 or so taxes. Sprint is $70, so its only about $15 difference, not the end of the world IMO. Sprint just lures you with a bunch of their crap services like Telenav, Sprint TV, radio, NASCAR, etc.

Same if you want unlimited minutes, data, unlim texts- ATT is $114 and Sprint is $99, about $15 difference.

They dont charge for voice dialing, its built into the iphone. That add-on service is more for flip phones and such. They also dont charge for GPS, you can use Google Maps at will or get a GPS app from the app store to do full voice guided navigation.

2gb (the $25 package) should be enough for most people. I rarely even use 500mb, but the 200mb it too little IMO.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-24-10 at 05:27 PM.
    10-24-10 05:21 PM
    Voice dialing is built into iPhone. Same thing with gps. The things Att charges for are additional features. For example, their GPS thing offers turn by turn directions, but there are apps available that will do the same thing without the need for a subscription. Voice dialing via Att is borderline stupid for iphone since it's a built in feature. I think it's offered on all phones because some phones don't come with it. There are a few people out there who do prefer ATT's navigation thing, but I don't know of many.
    10-24-10 05:23 PM
    Why did I come into the iPhone forum? You clowns should be talking me out of this, esp since it means breaking my Sprint contract AND acting the part of the responsible adult.

However, I keep playing with this thing and damn but it's so shiny and pretty. LMAO. I keep telling myself, "but it'll be more money per month" and "it won't be the 64gig" and "you're an *****, GROW UP" but on the other hand.......I now know more than I did a few days ago and it may be too late to go back and as I said it's going to be difficult to either return the ipod touch or have the BB and the ipod touch with me at all times, making me even more insufferable than I am already with the "screens" as the husband refers to them. It IS idiotic to have two devices if you can happily cram all your "stuff" into one and happily be obsessed with just the one and not two things.

Luckily, there truly are more important problems in this world. Unfortunately my ADD brain can't concentrate on any one of them but this one for the time being.
    10-24-10 05:48 PM
    ^ how's AT&T coverage in your area?
    i hate to break it to you but if you're switching carriers because of a phone.. whether it's a BB or the iphone 4, then you might be disappointed in the end.
    you will miss the LED screen notification from the BB... the different tones that you can assign to your SMS, MMS, email etc in short the customization.
    unless you jailbreak.. that's a different story where you get more freedom.
    with regards to data.. the new 2GB plan is sufficient to most subscribers...
    you'll definitely consume more data with an iphone commpared to a Blackberry..
    but not enough to exceed the 2GB limit unless you tether all the time
    10-24-10 11:36 PM
    I've been yo-yoing a bit between a Torch and an i4 for the past couple of months. One thing I have found over that time is that I actually type faster on the iPhone touch screen. It took about a week when I made the switch the first time from my 9700 over to iPhone, but once I got adjusted it really is pretty seamless to type with touchscreen only.
    10-25-10 10:24 AM
    You will adjust easily. It takes a couple of weeks, but you will be able to type just as fast.
    10-26-10 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD