I have an iPhone 4 running 4.1 and I have been torn trying to decide wether or not to jailbreak it. I really like the device but I guess I just want more. My main concern is if something goes wrong will I still be able to restore it through iTunes? I can't afford to go out and pay full price for a new iPhone. I watched the video on YouTube using limera1n and it seems so easy, almost to easy, that's what worries me. If someone can give me some pros and cons of jailbreaking to help me in my decision it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-10 07:01 PM
    I love the iPhone 4 and now am crazy for it since I jailbroke the other week. Totally opens up the phone. I def wanted a new theme and got that right away. There are tons of tweaks and tons of customizations. The phone hasn't slowed down a bit. Exact same speed. Battery life on 3G does seem to decrease faster though. Yes jailbreaking is a piece of cake and if you don't like it you can easily restore in itunes
    10-22-10 10:08 PM
    Jailbreaking is easy. Restoring takes a tad longer, but nothing all that hard about. Tipb and macrumors have good threads on how to do both.
    10-26-10 06:36 AM
    There's no reason not to jailbreak, except maybe if you decided to install the 4.2 beta3.

10-27-10 01:26 AM
    I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, I came from BB and was used to the customization of my device. I noticed so many ppl with the iPhone 4 and 3GS and they all looked the same. That bothered me a bit, so I jailbroke mine and to be honest with you it was the best decision I made when wanting to separate myself. The limera1n way was so simple ( did it before church and was out the door) the endless amounts of things you can do with it is unreal.

Do it and you won't look back, I can promise you that!

10-27-10 05:17 AM
    Jailbreaking is worth it for BiteSMS alone.
    10-27-10 09:18 AM
    I am also a converted BB user and the thing that I miss most is the themes. If I do jailbreak what do I use and how hard is it to download them? I have seen some really nice ones. I am very limited on my computer knowledge. Are they OTA download like some of them were with BB? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I'd be doing the right thing, can't afford to go out and buy a new iPhone outright if something goes wrong. And thanks for all your comments

10-27-10 10:11 AM
    I am also a converted BB user and the thing that I miss most is the themes. If I do jailbreak what do I use and how hard is it to download them? I have seen some really nice ones. I am very limited on my computer knowledge. Are they OTA download like some of them were with BB? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I'd be doing the right thing, can't afford to go out and buy a new iPhone outright if something goes wrong. And thanks for all your comments

Themes are easy. You can download them right fro
    Cydia. Some nice HD themes. You need to download winterboard first. Winterboard is where you can activate your downloaded themes. Very simple. There are HD themes for free as well as paid ones that range from $1.99 to 2.99. Some are really worth the cash.
    10-27-10 10:19 AM
    Jailbreaking is worth it for BiteSMS alone.
    Totally agree. Just by disabling the annoying popup and having the small indicator on the status bar is a dream come true. Double tap and right there you can have your quickreply right from your lockscreen even
    10-27-10 10:23 AM
    A couple more questions. I heard that if a phone is jailbroken and is turned off the only way to turn it back on is by hooking it up to a computer, is this true? Is it true that if jailbroken you can download any apps in the app store for free? Also, will iTunes still recognize my phone hooked up to my pc if I need to restore it? That should be all my questions, thanks again.

10-27-10 12:05 PM
    A couple more questions. I heard that if a phone is jailbroken and is turned off the only way to turn it back on is by hooking it up to a computer, is this true? Is it true that if jailbroken you can download any apps in the app store for free? Also, will iTunes still recognize my phone hooked up to my pc if I need to restore it? That should be all my questions, thanks again.

1st question: If you turn off the phone, you don't have to worry about hooking
    it up to the computer to turn it back on. That's what is referred to as a tethered
    jailbreak method in turning the phone back on. Don't have to worry about that
    with the iPhone 4 anymore.

2nd: I'll leave that to someone else.

3rd: Yes, iTunes will recognize your phone.
    10-27-10 01:36 PM
    Ok, one more question. I still have my old 3G with 4.1, but it doesn't have service. Can I use it as a guinea pig and use limerain to jailbreak it to make sure I know what I'm doing before I do my I4.

10-27-10 01:53 PM
    I think limera1n and greenpois0n don't work for a 3G. I believe the jailbreakme.com method works though. It'll accomplish what you want. A jailbreak. And you can use it all you want as the guinea pig.
    10-27-10 02:12 PM
    Well, I think when I get home from work I'm going to break down and just do it, wish me luck. Where do I go to download limerain on my pc?

10-27-10 02:28 PM
    limera1n.com
    10-27-10 02:35 PM
    Limera1n.com
    10-27-10 02:35 PM
    Greenpois0n is super easy too.
    10-28-10 11:49 PM
    isn't jailbreakme.com the easiest?
    10-28-10 11:56 PM
    I've fallen in love with apple iphone's and tablets just because of jailbreaking.
    10-28-10 11:59 PM
    There are many different ways to jailbreak different devices. Jailbreakme.com doesnt work on all devices.
    10-29-10 12:01 AM
    iPhone 4 convert here

Within a week of ownership, I jailbroke with Limera1n... opened up so many options that should of been standard with os, but still a damn good phone without it...

I haven't installed any themes, as I quite like the default look desktop/UI..just made a couple minor changes like weathericon and carrier name change etc

another thing, someone may be able to confirm, but whenever I install winterboard it loses the drop shadow from the icon titles is there a way to fix this other than installing a custom theme?
    10-29-10 11:51 AM
    Ok, I was just told that once jailbroken you cannot receive updates or download apps. Is this true? Doesn't sound right to me.

10-29-10 07:12 PM
    Ok, I was just told that once jailbroken you cannot receive updates or download apps. Is this true? Doesn't sound right to me.

No........
    10-30-10 02:10 PM
    I have quite a few jailbroken apps installed on my i4, and I have a constant red, update notification balloon icon on top of my App Store icon. I go through and update my paid apps, but I can't get rid of the number of "JB apps available for upgrades". Is there anyway that I can turn this off, or "is there an app for it?"
    Last edited by jayman2; 10-30-10 at 04:10 PM.
    10-30-10 03:44 PM
    Yes, there is a way. See, that update notification means you have apps on your phone that are in the app store and have a newer version. You can update them in the app store if they're free or you own them. If you can't update it in app world, it means either a; you got it on a free day, and the price has gone back to normal, or b (more commom); the app is pirated.

10-30-10 03:49 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD