It was at 100% at 9:30am. Right now it's 12:00pm so 2 and a half hours later I'm already at 75% battery power. My wifi is turned off. All I did so far was make like a 1 min phone call, did some bbm, and that's it.

I have no idea what's wrong!? The battery shouldn't be draining this fast right?
    10-22-10 11:13 AM
    Is your GPS turned off? How often do you have Social Scope or Twitter/Facebook feeds refreshing?
    10-22-10 11:15 AM
    I think my GPS is turned off. To check do you just hold down the menu button to see which apps are running in the background? If that's the case I don't see it there. And where can I see how often my feeds are refreshing?
    10-22-10 11:22 AM
    what version OS? i think 246 is battery killer.
    10-22-10 11:27 AM
    How is your signal? If you are in an area with poor signal the battery will quickly drain. See the "Reasons for weak signal" in this article.
    10-22-10 11:28 AM
    I have .246. The one that came pre-loaded in Canada. And I always have great signal. Full bars most of the time.
    10-22-10 11:30 AM
    I think my GPS is turned off. To check do you just hold down the menu button to see which apps are running in the background? If that's the case I don't see it there. And where can I see how often my feeds are refreshing?
    No..that won't tell you if GPS is on. Using Universal Search..just type GPS and then click on the option that comes up. That will tell you if it's on or off. And for Social Feeds..go into the app and then click menu or options and there will be a refresh rate as to how often it's checking those sites. I'm guessing same for Twitter and Facebook, but i don't use them so i wouldnt know for certain.
    10-22-10 11:34 AM
    Does seem likes somethings causing some drain.

I take my Torch off the charger at 8.00am and I typically have about 60% battery left by midnight when I go to bed.

I use my phone quite heavily throughout an average day. Connected to wifi while I'm at work and home. Emails coming through all day, several calls, twitter updating every 15 mins, facebook every hour, berryweather updating every 30 mins, a fair bit of web browsing. I only use Social Feeds as an RSS reader which I have set to manual.

I'd say I'd get through two days comfortably, so I've been pretty happy with the battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-10 11:41 AM
    No..that won't tell you if GPS is on. Using Universal Search..just type GPS and then click on the option that comes up. That will tell you if it's on or off. And for Social Feeds..go into the app and then click menu or options and there will be a refresh rate as to how often it's checking those sites. I'm guessing same for Twitter and Facebook, but i don't use them so i wouldnt know for certain.
    So for the GPS. When I search for it, 2 options come up. Location settings and Bluetooth. My bluetooth is already turned off. My Location Services is turned on though so I guess I should turn that off.

As for the social feeds. In options, I have the "Refresh your RSS feeds on application launch" box ticked on, and the "Periodically refresh your RSS feeds" box is ticked off. So that should be right.

Facebook is refreshing my feeds every 1 hour, and twitter is refreshing every 30 mins so that may be a problem. I'll try changing those refresh rates to see if it helps.
    10-22-10 11:51 AM
    So for the GPS. When I search for it, 2 options come up. Location settings and Bluetooth. My bluetooth is already turned off. My Location Services is turned on though so I guess I should turn that off.

As for the social feeds. In options, I have the "Refresh your RSS feeds on application launch" box ticked on, and the "Periodically refresh your RSS feeds" box is ticked off. So that should be right.

Facebook is refreshing my feeds every 1 hour, and twitter is refreshing every 30 mins so that may be a problem. I'll try changing those refresh rates to see if it helps.
    Yea..your Location Services is where the GPS is located. Make sure that's off until you want to use it (like for maps or whatnot). And yea..with Twitter refreshing every 30mins it's sending out signals to retrieve, and depending how many you follow will depend on how long its active (same for facebook).

Hopefully these help (as well as perhaps turn down backlighting..i have mine set at 20), but if not it is very possible you have a weak battery (which isn't the norm). I too had a bad battery out of the box but swapped it out for a new one and it's been soo much better. Good luck!
    10-22-10 11:57 AM
    Yea, thanks. Hopefully those will help my battery out. As for twitter, the longest time you can wait for it to refresh is 1 hour which is still pretty constant. If it doesn't get better than I may need to get a new battery too...
    10-22-10 12:01 PM
    Yea, thanks. Hopefully those will help my battery out. As for twitter, the longest time you can wait for it to refresh is 1 hour which is still pretty constant. If it doesn't get better than I may need to get a new battery too...
    Depending on your Twitter usage..you could just disable "Tweet refresh in background". So basically how this should work then is it will refresh whenever you click on Twitter (which could take a few seconds) vs. having it refresh itself (even when your not using the phone).

Personally i'm not sure why people need to have these notifications show up on their phone via Notifications. I mean..you KNOW that people are constantly updating their profiles on FB and are constantly Tweeting..so to me it's pointless to have to be notified of something that is ongoing..but I don't get the whole obsession with either to begin with lol.
    10-22-10 12:06 PM
    yea i don't use twitter that much actually anyways so that might be a good idea for me. i only get facebook notifications if someone writes on my wall or something. it would get pretty annoying to get notifications for every little thing.

And just hitting 4 hours now and it's at 55%. bah
    Last edited by jaxterz; 10-22-10 at 12:21 PM.
    10-22-10 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD