This is what I think about that! and that is not all
    They should not do this, they should not, I do not like
    it not one little bit!

1 year upgrade was perfectly fine

then came a stitch in time, suddenly there
    was 2 and that was too much for me and for you.

30 months is far too much , and deserves a Bump
    , Bump !

Away with this plan, and away with these people
    Robbers are far far too evil
    Last edited by vx1; 10-21-10 at 06:37 PM.
    10-21-10 06:25 PM
    Why sign the contract then rather than just buy the device outright if you don't like the contract?
    10-21-10 08:45 PM
    Why sign the contract then rather than just buy the device outright if you don't like the contract?
    For a lot of people, it is a cheaper option. Not everyone has $600 to drop on the phone. I had rogers back in the good ol "reup whenever loyality was sick of hearing from you" days. I am with Telus and from what I understand, it goes moreso by what you spend on your account. I was spending enough that I at least got $200 off the torch only 10 months after getting the 9700 like the day it came out. It is bad enough we have 3 year plans just to get the discount the USA gets after 2.
    10-21-10 08:50 PM
    I was a month away from my HUP and they changed it. I'm just going to wait another year and switch to another carrier. Not a happy camper.
    10-22-10 09:15 AM
    Hi!

Elise here from Rogers social media team.

First we want to say we understand your frustration and where you are coming from. That said, device pricing and Hardware Upgrade policies are always promotional in nature and can change at any time. HUP in itself is a benefit we provide to customers when they enter an agreement after purchasing a subsidized device.

These changes reflect the higher cost and advanced functionality of today�s feature phones and smart phones as well as the additional protection provided by Rogers Handset Protection Guarantee.

But, HUP depends on your individual account and Rogers offers a range of special promotions. So please check your eligibility on My Account on Rogers.com or go to a Rogers store.

As always, I am up for further discussion. You can contact me via PM or on Twitter where I am @RogersElise.

Elise
    10-22-10 01:31 PM
    Wow. That kinda feels like an invasion. Wait. Do they have robber reps scouring the net to check out what people are saying ? Hey. Maybe you can help me find the flase claim you put on my credit report for unreturned equipment that has kept me hopping for over 2 years where the equipment was retuned but OH SNAP you said it was not then went on a tirade if selling the account from place to place.

Your company is junk. Oh. And you never once got my bills right.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-10 01:39 PM
    With what you pay monthly Rogers has factored in the price of the devices. Why should you then go out and pay for the device you already own after making monthly instalments. With the "3" year contracts that's fewer devices that have to be given out while still collecting their monthly fees. At the rate cell phones are advancing their becoming obsolete after the second year. Maybe your happy with outdated tech and theirs nothing wrong with that but a large portion of wireless users would much rather not be handcuffed to the phone after it's past its prime.
    10-22-10 05:50 PM
    ya Im almost 23 months into my plan, passed on the torch waiting for the 9780. if they make me wait another 6 months just to sign for 3 years they can kiss my ***, I just buy one in the states and unlock it and sign with bell. had enough with these stupid ****
    10-22-10 07:01 PM
    I think the only valid point in this whole discussion was the comment about the cost of the phone being a factor of the cost of the plan. To me, if someone buys a phone outright there should be a discount on their plan whereas someone getting a plan and taking the lower cost phone promo should pay more. I feel I am being ripped off as I usually pay full price for my devices and I end up paying as much for a plan as my friends who get a cost reduced phone as an upgrade.

That being said, the fact any phone company gives you a price break at all is up to them. you can't whine about "fairness" and how horrible things are when they have no reason to give you a break in the first place. how many grocery stores give you a price break on milk because you got a new carton 3 days before it was due to expire as opposed to 6? it is not a right getting a discounted piece of hardware, nowhere else gives you a break at any time so just be happy.

10-22-10 09:04 PM
    As always, retentions will take care of that 30month policy
    10-22-10 10:21 PM
    $60 x 30 months = $1,800
    10-23-10 12:00 AM
    when you sign for 3 years they make the cost of the phone back and then some. We already have the highest wireless costs in the modern world so that wont fly with me. If they make me wait 30 months, might as well wait 36 and then let the bidding begin between all of them.
    10-23-10 09:28 AM
    30 months is pretty ridiculous. 2 years was ridiculous as well. If I upgrade my hardware each year and extend my contract for another year, the cost of subsidizing the phone is covered. Why do we have to pay full price for an early upgrade? I've never understood why existing customers get treated worse than new customers.
    10-23-10 11:47 AM
    Then why not just become a new customer every year? Hit up Craigslist, sell your phone and contract and then sign up as a new user again.

10-23-10 12:21 PM
    Then why not just become a new customer every year? Hit up Craigslist, sell your phone and contract and then sign up as a new user again.
    Does that method work when you have Home Phone, Cable, Wireless and Internet all bundled together?
    10-23-10 01:04 PM
    No idea, just try unbundling the phone and go from there. Personally I'd do a cost analysis at this point and see if maybe it just isn't cheaper to buy the phone outright in the long run.

That's the reason I do it anyhow. And by the time my upgrade is due I can just get the latest iPhone and sell it for lotsa cash as an unopened box.

10-24-10 11:19 AM
    C'mon guys..
    if you feel that strong about a certain company... then switch.
    remember YOU have the power.. it's your money..

and there's no perfect company either so you need to choose the one with less compromise on your part.
    or the simplest solution.. don't change phones every year... if you can't afford it.

There are a lot of cheaper alternatives.. if you feel you're being ripped off.
    10-24-10 11:31 AM
    I have Rogers internet, home phone and 3 cell lines bundled together. On one cell I did HUP to iphone 4 two weeks ago after 24 months. The second line I'm on 31 month. On third line I am on 25th month and Rogers Customer Relations told me that I'm eligible for HUP as well. I think that even though they changed the HUP to 30 months now you might still be eligible for early upgrade in less than 30 months depending on how much revenue you bring to Rogers each month.
    10-24-10 11:43 AM
    Personally I'd do a cost analysis at this point and see if maybe it just isn't cheaper to buy the phone outright in the long run.
    What's the average monthly cost for smartphone services these days in Canada? $70? So, extending your contract by a year means spending another 12 x $70 = $840. So, depending on your pain point, it may be cheaper to just buy it outright, then sell it later. It all depends if you plan on staying with your carrier or not after your contract runs out. If you're going to stick with them anyways, then buying outright does not make sense, as you'll be spending that extra money anyways. If you're gonna jump from carrier to carrier... you can take advantage of the offerings to "new" customers.

It's a mad mad world...
    Last edited by shabbs; 10-24-10 at 12:14 PM.
    10-24-10 12:11 PM
    You pay the same monthly price whether you buy the phone outright or not, so if you do buy it outright, add $500-600 or whatever the phone costs, over the 3 year period.

What's the fee if you cancel early? My contract (on Bell though) has a maximum $400 penalty, and at $40/month if there are less than 10 months left in the contract it'd be less than $400. So even if I cancel early, it'd be cheaper to get the subsidized phone (save $500) and pay the cancellation fee ($400).
    10-24-10 01:57 PM
    ^ that's why you choose a Carrier and not the phone. If you find the best one in your area, then getting a subsidized phone makes sense since you'll be staying with the Carrier anyway.

10-24-10 04:48 PM
    ^ that's why you choose a Carrier and not the phone. If you find the best one in your area, then getting a subsidized phone makes sense since you'll be staying with the Carrier anyway.

And then you have to wait 30 months to upgrade your phone at a subsidized level...

It all depends on if you don't mind waiting that long or if you simply have to have the latest and greatest all the time...
    10-24-10 05:30 PM
    And then you have to wait 30 months to upgrade your phone at a subsidized level...

It all depends on if you don't mind waiting that long or if you simply have to have the latest and greatest all the time...
    If you always want the latest and greatest, ie. have no problem spending $500+ on a cell phone every 6 months to a year, then yes, of course you shouldn't sign a long term contract.
    10-24-10 11:42 PM
    I have no problem waiting 2 years to upgrade, I just think anything over that is a joke. As soon as the 9780 is available I call rogers and see if I can upgrade after 24 months, if not I just get one for regular price and a year from now I just pull my internet and 2 cell lines from rogers. Im sure the 250 bucks a month I spend with them they wont miss.
    10-25-10 08:36 PM
    I have an old plan now and there's nothing like it anymore. I spend about $110 a month and the new plans I'd be about $125 or more so I prefer to keep what I've got. So spending the extra $$ for a full price phone is good and it's only going to get better.

And I honestly don't care about what carrier as long as they have a GSM phone and not this CDMA crap, hard for me to fly around the world with anything but GSM.

10-25-10 11:33 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD