So I lost my Bold 9700 last winter at school. I reported it to the police and wrote it off as a loss.

And so we reach today, and I logged in to CB for the first time since then. And there was one PM waiting for me from May. It was a user asking "Can you please change your sig from "Anand Sihra- PIN 217*****". I am using this phone now." So I tried to contact him through CB, HowardForums, etc, but no reply. (If you want to know what user, search for my PIN)

So, thanks to the power of Google, I found his full name, and the town he lives in. My question is, what should I do? Police?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-10 10:58 AM
    Did you try sending him a PIN message and explaining to him what happened to the phone and that if he doesn't work with you to get it back, that you will have to follow up with the police. If that doesn't work, I would follow up with the police that you filed the original report with and tell them you have more information and need their help. Remind them that this is a $500+ device.
    10-21-10 11:05 AM
    The PIN is locked on the phone. Tried multiple times, to no avail. I think I have to follow up with the police.

10-21-10 11:14 AM
    Yeah, sounds like your only option.

Do you still have it on BIS where you could change that signature to something like "This phone is stolen... Please contact..."

That would be sweet.
    10-21-10 11:20 AM
    My BIS account is suspended on that phone. I made a new one. But that would be awesome.

10-21-10 11:34 AM
    "Can you please change your sig from "Anand Sihra- PIN 217*****". I am using this phone now."
    I can't believe he'd actually PM you saying this. Wouldn't this be the equivalent of that Seinfeld episode where someone steals Jerry's car, and ends up calling him from the installed Car Phone?
    10-21-10 12:08 PM
    I can't believe he'd actually PM you saying this. Wouldn't this be the equivalent of that Seinfeld episode where someone steals Jerry's car, and ends up calling him from the installed Car Phone?
    Yea lol. This person is pretty stupid for sending the OP that PM. In this case it isn't finders keepers, because there is a police report attached to that device. Maybe this person is the one who found it, or someone sold it to them so they could be the reason for the idiotic PM.
    10-21-10 12:15 PM
    I suspect that the user that sent the PM purchased the phone from someone who stole it

If I was going to Steal a smartphone I would steal it to sell it, then buy a smartphone new
    10-21-10 01:03 PM
    Yeah, sounds like your only option.

Do you still have it on BIS where you could change that signature to something like "This phone is stolen... Please contact..."

That would be sweet.
    Wow, learn something new every day.
    10-21-10 01:09 PM
    I wish people weren't such dirtbags... not necessarily the guy using it, but the guy who stole it. He probably got $40 for it and spent it on crack.
    10-21-10 01:32 PM
    Technically, it wasn't stolen, the OP said he lost it. But once someone finds it and doesn't make reasonable efforts to return it and/or tries to sell it, then it becomes theft.

If you google the PIN, as the OP suggests, you can see the CB user that has the PIN listed. Looking through their posts, there's a point where the person is talking about trading their Storm for a Bold.
    10-21-10 02:39 PM
    I just googled the pin, and there's a bunch of messages saying "add me to bbm". I tried and I get a "Service Blocked" message. Can someone else try to PIN them for me and let me know what happens? Thanks in advance.

10-21-10 04:32 PM
    I think it's amazing that this has happened but to tell you the truth I don't think
    you're going to get that phone back or even get any justice.
    10-21-10 04:40 PM
    I wish people weren't such dirtbags... not necessarily the guy using it, but the guy who stole it. He probably got $40 for it and spent it on crack.
    Hahaha! I agree. What people will do for drugs these days.
    10-21-10 05:09 PM
    "Marijuana is not a drug. ... coke. Now that's an addiction"

10-21-10 06:56 PM
    Update:

I finally made contact with the guy, he pretty well is calling me a liar. He says that I could have sold it etc. I guess the cops are my only hope now.

10-21-10 10:05 PM
    Wow that's crazy.....good luck
    10-21-10 10:13 PM
    Someone should forward this link to the presumtrive owner of that phone How NOT to steal a SideKick II
    10-21-10 10:17 PM
    wow... that's some crazy stuff. and this user is a
    member of crackberry? or just created a username
    to contact you?
    10-22-10 01:04 AM
    Update: I went to the police station this morning, reported everything I know. I finally got a hold of him over bbm, he's still not listening. The officer said I should hear from them by Monday. Hopefully I'll be off this 8700 soon. Thanks guys.

10-22-10 09:30 AM
    Good Morning........ I have the torch. What is the latest up for the os?
    10-22-10 09:35 AM
    Update:

So I received a phone call from the user last night, he said he tried to turn in the phone to hil local police, but they didnt want to take it (called the station he went to, turns out because I filed the report with a different police service, it can only be returned to that station. Sounds silly, but thats what the officer told me) The user said he will meet me today to return it to me.
    10-23-10 09:27 AM
    You should brake hi legs.

10-23-10 11:57 AM
    Why should he break his legs? The guy probably bought it from whoever stole it and is giving it back. Find the guy who stole it and break his legs.
    If I was the guy who had it, I would want some definite proof that it was yours before I'd return it.

10-23-10 12:23 PM
    Why should he break his legs? The guy probably bought it from whoever stole it and is giving it back. Find the guy who stole it and break his legs.
    If I was the guy who had it, I would want some definite proof that it was yours before I'd return it.

I have a lot of definite proof. I have my proof of purchase, police reports, my provider has records that I reported it lost, all my friends were there to help me look for it when I lost it, I even posted on Kijiji and Craigslist with a buyer warning saying that the phone was stolen.

10-23-10 01:43 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD