This is the new thread for the development of gmail contact sysc with blackberry

Original thread here

I have started development of a app that will sync google contacts over the air with the blackberry address book.

Its very early days and im still learning as I go. Beta to be ready in about 1 week from now.

I have made a new thread to keep people informed of the progress and also ask for help and ideas.

I had to think of a name for the new app and decided to make my own name instead of a generic "gmail contact sync". The app will be called "Conjola Sync"

Overview of Conjola Sync

• Open source - free to use
    • 2 way sycn with gmail contacts and blackberry address book
    • "Over the air" solution - no need to hook up to USB

Again - early days and ill be learning as I go. I will require some beta testers for real world tests (not just the blackberry simulators).

Ill keep everyone up to date and
    informed as I progress.

Regards
    Sam
    07-22-08 12:03 AM
    Awesome! Thanks for all your hard work on this app. I'd love to be a future beta tester.
    07-22-08 12:22 AM
    That sounds like an awesome app!!!!! I cna be a beta tester with an 8100 on T-Mobile w/ 4.5.0.52..... If you'd like.....
    07-22-08 12:32 AM
    Like I said before I can't wait. You are a champ for taking this on - I hope others with know-how will step up to help being that its open source. Keep us posted - I know I'll be counting the days

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-08 01:02 AM
    Hello staino,

You've got my support, I've been looking for such an app for awhile now.

Will Conjola Sync be able to use a share "contact / contacts" function like the online Google Calendar/Google Sync?
    07-22-08 05:23 AM
    Will Conjola Sync be able to use a share "contact / contacts" function like the online Google Calendar/Google Sync?
    Hi Dstar

I think this function would be great (i would benefit personally from it). The problem is i dont think there is a setting in gmail that allows for sharing of contacts.

Does anyone know if you can actually share contacts (without handing out your password)?

If this is possible, the the share contact function would have to be scheduled in the 2nd release. Need to get the basics done first then we can work from there.

Regards
    07-22-08 05:50 AM
    Hi Dstar

I think this function would be great (i would benefit personally from it). The problem is i dont think there is a setting in gmail that allows for sharing of contacts.

Does anyone know if you can actually share contacts (without handing out your password)?

If this is possible, the the share contact function would have to be scheduled in the 2nd release. Need to get the basics done first then we can work from there.

Regards
    i have no idea if this will apply, but it may just be the kindling to start the fire.

Grabbing a Gmail contact list - Torrential Web Dev
    07-23-08 02:47 AM
    i have no idea if this will apply, but it may just be the kindling to start the fire.

Grabbing a Gmail contact list - Torrential Web Dev
    Hi Oakie

The script relies on handing out your username and password. I dont think there is a function that allows contacts to be shared out. The google calander allows you to share with other users without handing out your username and password.

Regards
    07-23-08 03:23 AM
    I look forward to seeing what becomes of this app. I'm glad your are taking on this challenge, as there don't seem to be any other good solutions out there.

If you need any help with any kind of testing, let me know. I have an 8320 on T-mo,OS 4.5.0.46.

07-23-08 07:17 AM
    This would be awesome, this is the one feature missing for BIS users.
    07-23-08 08:54 AM
    staino, you're one of my favorite people right now

If I can help at all I'd be happy to test or whatever. I've got a Curve on Verizon and running OSv4.3

As for handing out my password, I'd be happy to for something that's free and works well!
    07-23-08 09:09 AM
    Staino,

Count me in! I have an 8330 from Alltel running OS 4.3. An application like this would make my Berry so much more useful!

Thx for the work.
    07-23-08 09:32 AM
    Yup we're all here to help.
    07-23-08 09:50 AM
    Looking forward to this!

8830 on Bell if you're looking for more beta testers.
    07-23-08 10:04 AM
    Looking forward to this!

8830 on Bell if you're looking for more beta testers.
    Ditto on the beta testing offer.
    07-23-08 11:04 AM
    Would love to test in beta. Alltel Curve on 4.5.0.51. I hope I never have to open Outlook again.
    07-23-08 11:38 AM
    I volunteer for beta testing.

Equipment & Service: BB 8100, Software: 4.2.1.107, T-Mobile
    07-23-08 05:28 PM
    I would love to beta test this for my berry. Count me in!! :-D

07-23-08 10:06 PM
    Will there be a way to load my BB contacts to gmail? Probably a dumb question but I dont know
    07-24-08 02:10 AM
    Thanks for the great support everyone. Good to know people are keen and I have received some really great offers through the forum and PM.

Will there be a way to load my BB contacts to gmail? Probably a dumb question but I dont know
    Yes - Conjola will be a 2 way sync - uploading blackberry contacts to gmail and downloading gmail contacts to blackberry

Regards
    07-24-08 03:07 AM
    Thanks for the great support everyone. Good to know people are keen and I have received some really great offers through the forum and PM.

Yes - Conjola will be a 2 way sync - uploading blackberry contacts to gmail and downloading gmail contacts to blackberry

Regards

If you need a beta tester for an ATT 8820, let me know. Ill definitely give it a shot. Thanks for doing this man, you are gonna make my life a lot easier
    07-24-08 03:09 AM
    This is something I have been waiting for since I got my berry. I would be glad to help test a beta...

BB8830 WE - Sprint - OS 4.5.0.51
    07-24-08 07:32 AM
    To access BlackBerry Contacts, isn't that a signed api? If so your going to need to pay the hundred to get the keys from RIM.
    07-24-08 08:28 AM
    I would love to help by being a beta tester. Alltel Pearl 8130 user running 4.3.0.81 and access to an Pearl on the Sprint network as well.
    07-24-08 08:47 AM
    To access BlackBerry Contacts, isn't that a signed api? If so your going to need to pay the hundred to get the keys from RIM.
    $20, not $100. Apple charges $100, RIM is only $20. Just sent off my application a couple days ago.
    07-24-08 09:20 AM
93 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD