I'll try to keep this short. I loved my first Blackberry, a huge 7130e I think. It was not flawless as a whole, but the key was that the OS never, ever had a problem. It was a brick, but rock solid as a result.

After getting a Storm 1, my fury at RIM or Verizon or whoever is responsible for that horrible OS/product release has exceeded any anger I've ever had at a product, probably only matched in company hate for the U-Haul establishment. It has a new bug every day, is slow, non-responsive, etc, etc. It's infuriating.

Therefore I want rock solid OS reliability, like I had before In PC terms, I want Windows XP SP3, with it's 10 years of refinement, running on a quad or dual core with 4 GB of RAM. Highly developed, extremely mature OS on way overengineered hardware so I get perfect performance.

I don't care about Twittering, camera resolution, screen tricks, all that 15 year old girl crap who thinks her phone is the best Barbie doll replacement ever, I need an ultra reliable business tool.

The thing is, I don't have a week to review a thousand specs, so I'm hoping the forum can help. Some preliminary reserach led me to the Bold 9650 (newer than the 9700, is that right or wrong?) as I heard it's RAM was upgraded to 512 in preparation for the OS upgrade, but that Verizon doesn't have that OS upgrade yet?

Is that right? Sounds about perfect for what I want if that's true.... more RAM, older, highly debugged OS. Other suggestions?

1. Verizon service only
    2. Do need email, web, etc
    3. I don't trust the Torch after the Storm
    4. I can't switch to an iPhone because I won't leave the Verizon network (or I'd be gone, trust me)

So, highest performance, lowest BS, don't care about today's latest gadget, the better the text input interface the better (and I'm thinking buttons, though small, may be a good thing to try again).

Also, where can I find a list of tech specs (RAM, OS, Processors, etc)? The BB site only has marketing fluff...

THANK YOU! I can't WAIT to get a good phone again!
    Last edited by Bahnstoermer; 10-19-10 at 09:08 AM.
    10-19-10 09:03 AM
    The Bold 9650 is the best current blackberry on verizon and sounds like the best choice for you. Also the 9330 just came out so that might be worth checking out as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 09:13 AM
    Found a few tech specs on the BB site with their compare:

9650 512 MBonboard memory
    Storm 1 128 MBonboard memory

There's a huge part of the problem to be sure....
    10-19-10 10:13 AM
    Waiting for the iPhone on Verizon, then is likely your best course of action.
    10-19-10 10:47 AM
    Yes, I just saw that earlier. I agree, that's a big *** deal. My only concern would be making sure the first Verizon iPhone doesn't have the "rushed through development" problems my Storm 1 did, and that the antenna problem is fixed. Even still though, that's what I had been hoping for a for a while now. It may be worth hanging on a little longer I guess...
    10-19-10 01:11 PM
    I'll try to keep this short. I loved my first Blackberry, a huge 7130e I think. It was not flawless as a whole, but the key was that the OS never, ever had a problem. It was a brick, but rock solid as a result.

After getting a Storm 1, my fury at RIM or Verizon or whoever is responsible for that horrible OS/product release has exceeded any anger I've ever had at a product, probably only matched in company hate for the U-Haul establishment. It has a new bug every day, is slow, non-responsive, etc, etc. It's infuriating.

Therefore I want rock solid OS reliability, like I had before In PC terms, I want Windows XP SP3, with it's 10 years of refinement, running on a quad or dual core with 4 GB of RAM. Highly developed, extremely mature OS on way overengineered hardware so I get perfect performance.

I don't care about Twittering, camera resolution, screen tricks, all that 15 year old girl crap who thinks her phone is the best Barbie doll replacement ever, I need an ultra reliable business tool.

The thing is, I don't have a week to review a thousand specs, so I'm hoping the forum can help. Some preliminary reserach led me to the Bold 9650 (newer than the 9700, is that right or wrong?) as I heard it's RAM was upgraded to 512 in preparation for the OS upgrade, but that Verizon doesn't have that OS upgrade yet?

Is that right? Sounds about perfect for what I want if that's true.... more RAM, older, highly debugged OS. Other suggestions?

1. Verizon service only
    2. Do need email, web, etc
    3. I don't trust the Torch after the Storm
    4. I can't switch to an iPhone because I won't leave the Verizon network (or I'd be gone, trust me)

So, highest performance, lowest BS, don't care about today's latest gadget, the better the text input interface the better (and I'm thinking buttons, though small, may be a good thing to try again).

Also, where can I find a list of tech specs (RAM, OS, Processors, etc)? The BB site only has marketing fluff...

THANK YOU! I can't WAIT to get a good phone again!

Why, after giving us the statement below, would you want an iphone?

10-19-10 02:02 PM
    Why, after giving us the statement below, would you want an iphone?

Well said

IF you want the best txt input method you want to get the 9650,
    YOU could get an Android phone with SWYPE and probably have near equal texting abilities once you've mastered it, and have a full touch screen,

but in reality the ONLY thing RIM is really missing the boat with, with it's current Candy Bar offerings from a purely business perspective is Web browsing, if you don't need heavy web browsing, then get the 9650 and enjoy a much better phone than your Storm
    10-19-10 02:13 PM
    I would also add, do not judge the Torch because of what the Storm was like. The Torch is a completely different phone. Doesn't even have the same type of touchscreen. Plus if you want a better web experiance, OS6 is the way to go.
    10-19-10 02:17 PM
    Based on what you said you wanted/needed in a device, I think the 9650 is your best choice.
    10-19-10 10:14 PM
    9650 is awesome, especially if you want a business type phone.
    10-20-10 12:04 AM
    Droid Pro to be released on 11/11, if you can wait that long, is a sort of hybrid Blackberry/Android Device. It has a touchscreen and the Android OS but a traditional BB keyboard!

For Blackberry, I'd wait. I know, sometimes you get stuck in technology and think you'll always be waiting for the next great thing, and you said you don't need new. But the BB devices for Verizon right now are at the end of their lifecycles. You have to be cautious before entering a 2 year contract.

The Storm 2 is already dead and almost a scam they are still selling it. The Bold 9650 is a nice phone but due for EIL (end-of-life) soon and the current OS 6 update will be your last for 2 more years.

Summary:

If you need something TODAY - Droid 2 or X depending on keyboard preference
    If you need something IN 2010 - Droid Pro
    If you need BLACKBERRY - take the next soon to drop iteration of the Bold/Torch on VZW.
    10-20-10 12:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD