Okay...My contract is up 10/22 and I am elig for an upgrade. I will be staying with VZW and their best phones now are clearly Android. RIM is in the midst of a platform reboot, and I don't want to throw in for that. WP7 is the same, in that it is all new, and seems to be questionable from App support, and its future.

So what current, or rumored device would you all recommend, and why? What are some of you waiting for, or planning to get as your next device, and why?

I have been looking and checking stuff out, but want to get some other opinions on the current, or near future Android offerings to help me decide.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    10-18-10 11:09 AM
    What are your needs in a phone?
    The can't live with outs?
    10-18-10 11:13 AM
    I'm waiting on the HTC Merge. The biggest reason is that I want a physical keyboard, and I like it over the Droid 2's and Droid Pro's keyboard. Coming from a BlackBerry where I can't live without a keyboard, that's the direction I'm going. If the virtual keyboards prove to be sufficient, maybe I switch over the next time around.
    10-18-10 11:20 AM
    I was going to type in a list of needs and wants...but then decided not to...But that was a bad idea. LOL

Needs:
    * Good Exchange Active Sync Connection - I have my Storm on BES so I don't expect the same level of integration, but I need solid connection to active sync.
    * Good Internet - more and more I find myself looking things up on the internet from my phone and not digging out a laptop. I no longer have a PC set up in my house, so the time it takes to boot something up, I usually have an answer even over a 3G connection with the Storm.

Wants (in No real order):
    * Customization - I liked being able to customize the Storm a lot, so I want at least that same level and I think Android offers even more
    * Apps - I have pretty much given up on Apps on the Storm due to low memory and negative side effects. BB is just not a platform for someone who like to try stuff out and then delete what you don't want. That kills my storm. So I think Android has a lot of nice free apps and you don't have to worry about killing the OS by loading a few apps up, and then killing them.
    * Movies/Video - I have never loaded movies or Shows onto my phone, but It could be really good to DL some things from my Tivo and port them over. I have kids, so being able to whip out some cartoons quickly can be a life saver.
    * Camera/Video - Again, having kids, there are lots of little moments that want to capture and share, and I can't always bust out the Canon.
    * Music - I got my Storm because I was tired of carrying an iPod, Black Berry and Cell Phone. I loaded all my music on the Storm, and then started streaming from Slacker and Pandora as well. Lately Pandora and Slacker don't work well on the Storm - Too many pauses and disconnects _ so I'd like to get back to these types of services to expand on music. It's just not reliable enough now on My Storm
    * Games - I need to pass the time like everyone else. I have never bought a game on the storm, just because of limited capabilities, but I would probably on a device that it seemed more worth it to me.

I am not afraid of Rooting and going to custom ROM's, and no matter what I think, I am sure I will do that as I can't resist tinkering with stuff, but I would like to have a device that does not require that to work.

Hopefully that helps some of you offer suggestions or idea.

Thanks!
    10-18-10 11:42 AM
    I'm waiting on the HTC Merge. The biggest reason is that I want a physical keyboard, and I like it over the Droid 2's and Droid Pro's keyboard. Coming from a BlackBerry where I can't live without a keyboard, that's the direction I'm going. If the virtual keyboards prove to be sufficient, maybe I switch over the next time around.
    My wife wants a physical keyboard. I am eying this device for her if it drops. She really liked the look of the Torch. And She would be fine with Bing, I am sure. A good Browser and a nice keyboard and she would be happy.
    10-18-10 11:46 AM
    If you want to ROOT or Hack away at the phone stay away from the Droid X and it's locked bootloader. I have the Fascinate and am very pleased with it.
    10-18-10 12:41 PM
    Go with the Droid 2. Has a keyboard, so you won't miss your BB, and it's a monster. And did I mention it's FREE
    10-18-10 12:52 PM
    Go with the Droid 2. Has a keyboard, so you won't miss your BB, and it's a monster. And did I mention it's FREE
    Don't want a keyboard. Don't have one now on My Storm.
    10-18-10 01:12 PM
    If you want to ROOT or Hack away at the phone stay away from the Droid X and it's locked bootloader. I have the Fascinate and am very pleased with it.
    My Thing with the Fascinate is that I feel I would have to Root/Hack it. I would like to use it out of the box for a bit.

But from what I have seen in the store the Fascinate is really nice. The form factor is just about perfect. I never really under stood the .3 in the Droid X or Evo's 4.3" screen.

The other thing about the Fascinate that concerns me is 6 gb less internal memory. May be a non issue, but the more I see info on lag fixes' etc, the more I see a need for as much memory as possible.

So how hard was it for you to get the Fascinate where you wanted it to be?
    10-18-10 01:16 PM
    Within an hour of getting home it was rooted.

I have had it about a month and now it is Over clocked, Deodexed w/ Custom Boot Animation and I now have it where I want it. Granted I did a lot of tinkering to get their but that was my personal preference.

I wanted it de-binged ASAP and Googlized therefore the ROOT.
    10-18-10 01:18 PM
    Motorola in general seems to have taken an anti rooting stance, and as AP pointed out the DroidX (the first model they locked tight!) is pretty much unrootable. Other models are difficult too. Other vendors, in particular HTC are a much better bet if you are looking to root.
    10-18-10 01:28 PM
    Motorola in general seems to have taken an anti rooting stance, and as AP pointed out the DroidX (the first model they locked tight!) is pretty much unrootable. Other models are difficult too. Other vendors, in particular HTC are a much better bet if you are looking to root.
    Droid X has been rooted for some time. You just can't load custom ROM's
    10-18-10 01:30 PM
    Go fascinate.......
    10-18-10 01:35 PM
    Then either the Droid X or the Fascinate for sure. Fascinate is $39.

10-18-10 02:08 PM
    Droid X has been rooted for some time. You just can't load custom ROM's
    I am FAR from a Droid expert, barely an infant! Just had a rooted Droid 1 and it was a bear to deal with and I heard that it was because Moto was very anti hacking. But I didn't really have the Droid loong and I didn't do too much research either.

Anyways good luck with your hunt for a good one.
    10-18-10 02:18 PM
    The Droid X doesn't need an unlocked bootloader to perform exceptionally well. You already can load custom ROMs, but they have the same bootloader. THe Droid X has already been deblurred and running AOSP ROMs.

The DX IMO has the best call and signal quality out of ANY VZW phone out right now. Moto in general has the best signal and call quality for Android. Also, the DX has the best battery life out of any Android device out.

The Fascinate is a great device, but I really enjoy my DX. You can't go wrong with either device.
    10-18-10 02:21 PM
    I am FAR from a Droid expert, barely an infant! Just had a rooted Droid 1 and it was a bear to deal with and I heard that it was because Moto was very anti hacking. But I didn't really have the Droid loong and I didn't do too much research either.

Anyways good luck with your hunt for a good one.
    The D1 isn't locked down. It can be rooted in 2 minutes. Every VZW Moto phones takes 2 minutes to root.
    10-18-10 02:21 PM
    I have had the DX and the Fascinate. I really prefer the form factor of the Fascinate better. The camera hump is huge. But it's all person preference. I have noticed that my reception is quite a bit lower than the DX. I have lower service in areas I had full service with the DX and my Bold.
    10-18-10 02:28 PM
    To the OP I would say go to the Store and play with them you can't go wrong on either phone. Especially coming from a storm. Just think no more Battery Pulls.....saweet!!!
    10-18-10 02:37 PM
    Then either the Droid X or the Fascinate for sure. Fascinate is $39.
    Where is the Fascinate $39?
    10-18-10 02:38 PM
    The Droid X doesn't need an unlocked bootloader to perform exceptionally well. You already can load custom ROMs, but they have the same bootloader. THe Droid X has already been deblurred and running AOSP ROMs.

The DX IMO has the best call and signal quality out of ANY VZW phone out right now. Moto in general has the best signal and call quality for Android. Also, the DX has the best battery life out of any Android device out.

The Fascinate is a great device, but I really enjoy my DX. You can't go wrong with either device.
    That's good to know. Like I hear the Fascinate has GPS issues. Not a deal breaker but I don't want some app burning CPU cycles and battery because it can't get a quick location fix from GPS.
    10-18-10 02:43 PM
    That's good to know. Like I hear the Fascinate has GPS issues. Not a deal breaker but I don't want some app burning CPU cycles and battery because it can't get a quick location fix from GPS.
    Yea the fix is suppose to be coming shortly. The DX GPS works perfectly out of the box. It keeps better signal strength than the Fascinate in low service areas. The DX has 2 cell antennas. I know VZW has great service, but I get better service with my DX than I did my Droid, and the Droid has great signal quality as well.

The DX is very snappy even with Blur and the stock launcher, put I recommend Launcher Pro, and I recommend it for ANY Android device.
    10-18-10 02:57 PM
    Where is the Fascinate $39?
    Wirefly... I personally do not buy through third-party retail though.

Samsung Fascinate for Verizon Wireless - Wirefly.com
    10-18-10 02:58 PM
    Wirefly... I personally do not buy through third-party retail though.

Samsung Fascinate for Verizon Wireless - Wirefly.com
    I see it on Amazon as well for $39.

That is another good Question...I traditionally go to VZW and get it. But lacking a good BOGO deal, the X is $99 and Fascinate is $39. Any reason not to get from there? I assume it is still a brand new phone and if I turn on the protection from VZW than I am covered if it has an issue, correct?
    10-18-10 03:17 PM
    I see it on Amazon as well for $39.

That is another good Question...I traditionally go to VZW and get it. But lacking a good BOGO deal, the X is $99 and Fascinate is $39. Any reason not to get from there? I assume it is still a brand new phone and if I turn on the protection from VZW than I am covered if it has an issue, correct?
    I think so...I believe you have a separate contract with Amazon/Wirefly if you buy through them though. I'm not sure if you are allowed to change your plan or features or device if you go through them. I personally would just stick with VZW because they are the main source, but if you want to give the others a shot, feel free. I'm sure some people here have bought from them, so hopefully they have more info than I do.
    10-18-10 03:21 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD