I have been searching around for a universal TV remote program, I have read many different things and figured it would be best to check with You guys here...

I want to control my TV and Comcast cable box, thats all. nothing fancy, I have a laptop ( PC ) right next to the TV if that helps.

Not sure if I need additional hardware or if I can go through my PC

Thanks
    10-17-10 11:30 AM
    You would need additional hardware, something along the line of an IR adapter or even and RF system for hidden components. It's not something the iPhone can do natively in normal circumstances.
    10-17-10 11:51 AM
    Is there a price range on these adapters ?

Any brand or model # s ?

There in no software based methods ? dont laptops have R F ?
    10-17-10 12:56 PM
    I've never actually seen them, jsut alborating that it could be possible with an adapter
    10-17-10 03:04 PM
    I've seen em. They're little dongles that hang off the dock port. I think they cost like $20-30. Look for a universal remote app on the App Store, they always have an associated dongle it supposed to be used with.
    10-17-10 03:20 PM
    Is there a price range on these adapters ?

Any brand or model # s ?

There in no software based methods ? dont laptops have R F ?
    I don't think you can make software based one without some associate Oates hardware. Most remotes use IR, and the iPhone doesn't output it. I haven't seen a laptop with built-in IR in like 10 years since most manufacturers dumped IR data transfer and IR printing in favor of Bluetooth. I might be wrong about that, and there might be some still being made, but I have doubts.
    10-17-10 03:24 PM
    Now if Logitech made a Harmony app that turned my iPhone into a Harmony remote with some add-on, i'd be in!!
    10-17-10 04:13 PM
    I am actually looking for the same thing for my playbook. Was thinking that it might be possible with a bluetooth usb plugged into the tv (currently using for netflix). Would be pretty cool to control the tv/blu ray player/att uverse box such as guild, netflix, and recordings without being surrounded by remotes. Just a thought, was hoping someone had found something of this nature.
    05-09-11 01:50 PM
    Comcast has an xfinity app for iOS. It let's you set your DVD and I think change channels through wifi. Also I have a second gen apple tv and there is an app called remote (simply enough) that let's you control it and an iTunes library on any open computer on your network through wifi. It comes in really handy when typing in password, search fields etc on the ATv
    05-14-11 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD