Hi,

It seems as if UK voda may have OTA crippled the podcast app. Overnight all menu entried relevant to adding feeds or downloading episodes dissapeared (prior to which the torch was accepting new feeds and downloading over wi-fi fine). Has anyone else noticed this problem and how do we get it resolved ?

Cheers,

F

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-10 10:05 AM
    Nope I can still search for podcasts on my 9700 with the RIM podcast app.

However I can only get USA podcasts, no radio 1 etc.
    10-17-10 10:10 AM
    Same problem, can't search, says 'This application is disabled on this device by your carrier'
    10-17-10 11:13 AM
    The podcast app no longer shows up in appworld when you visit from a UK voda torch and the one that came with the os has had downloading and adding feeds disabled. There is no doubt that all relevant entries have been removed from the menu. Whilst initially it was possible to scroll to the "Search Podcasts" input filed (even though it was disabled and unable to do anything) it is now not even possible to scroll to that field. I suspect there have been some serious behind the scenes c**k-ups and we are all now in the dark re this.
    10-17-10 12:28 PM
    The Podcast app on the Orange branded Torch is the same. Can't add or browse for podcasts which makes it useless
    10-17-10 03:15 PM
    Interestingly, podcasts synced to /media_card/podcasts from my laptop do show up as podcasts within the podcast player and re fully playable (with episode counts, position resume etc etc) it seems that just the ability to add feeds and download has been disabled. RIM and UK voda / orange need to get this sorted.
    10-18-10 02:56 AM
    They do indeed- I shot off an email to them via the developer support button in sop world complaining about this. I think there's an OTA of 1.0.0.36 around here somewhere, but I've not been able to find it. (.36 works properly I believe, its a similar situation to ATT crippling BB maps in their OS)

10-18-10 04:03 AM
    I've tried downloading the fully working version but it didn't work and made my screen half the size until it was uninstalled.
    I agree though that RIM need to get their act together.
    10-18-10 07:50 AM
    I haven't been able to test this myself but there are a couple of podcast apps available free on app world

Just searched for 'podcast'

Could be a potential work around...the free apps are limited to two podcasts or the mediafly one requires you to sign up to their site (free) and I think download their podcast but you can add your own.

Not a proper solution but possibly a temporary fix?

10-18-10 11:14 AM
    I retract what I said about voda as it seems that UK Orange customers now have the same issues. I can understand if RIM has licensing issues with their podast search / list but that is no excuse to disable all downloading or the manual entry of feeds.

10-18-10 11:17 AM
    I retract what I said about voda as it seems that UK Orange customers now have the same issues. I can understand if RIM has licensing issues with their podast search / list but that is no excuse to disable all downloading or the manual entry of feeds.

Exactly. I used to love the fact that my BB would automatically download my podcasts when on my home network and at work so when commuting home, I had up to date podcasts to listen to. Now, I have to boot up the computer which is a real pain and now I just use the ipod. I know for many this may seem like a minor point but it has really annoyed me. The podcast app we have is useless as it does nothing that the media player doesn't do.
    10-18-10 11:26 AM
    I updated the os least night and the podcast app was fully functional, allowing me to add podcasts etc. However, a battery pull later and the functionality was removed. I cannot understand why RIM have done this. Like I have said before, it is a great free app which for podcast lovers, is leaps and bounds better than the iphone and android options and then they deny most countries of this functionality. Stupidity in the extreme.
    10-25-10 06:39 AM
    Just updated my UK Orange 9700 to OS6 and lost the ability to add new podcasts...

Will I still get new episodes of my existing subscriptions?

11-02-10 06:48 PM
    Just updated my UK Orange 9700 to OS6 and lost the ability to add new podcasts...

Will I still get new episodes of my existing subscriptions?

The answer is no......
    11-23-10 01:45 PM
    So what Podcast App are non-North American OS6 users using ?

Any recommendations ?
    11-29-10 06:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD